Another trooper fool

Say Hi here for the first time. We're all friendly :)

Moderator: Staff

Another trooper fool

Postby wowblox » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:55 am

IMG_8317.jpg
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1989 Trooper XS in mediocre condition! I'm so stoked.

Future plans:
Replace coolant overflow container.
look for a rear mounted roof ladder i've seen on some troopers.
Clean up the rust spots and repaint the sucker.

hoping as I dive into this car and find more and more things that either need replacing or fixing that you guys and gals can answer questions i have :D

cheeers!
Wowblox
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wowblox
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Another trooper fool

Postby giusedtobe » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:09 pm

Welcome to the planet. What motor/trans combo does your ride have?

Is it a runner? In good shape?
giusedtobe
Trail Master

Have thanks: 33 times

Postby wowblox » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:26 pm

Thanks. It's the 4 cylinder, RLJ. M75 trans. It drives and goes. 210,000 miles on it. The breaks feel bit sluggish and there's probably a hole in the exhaust some place (sounds a bit louder that i think it should). But it's a Cali car and hasn't seen much salt so the underside looks quite good for the age in my opinion. I'm a little worried about this whole in the coolant reservoir (pic below), i feel like i should do some kind of flush of the coolant system and definitely find a replacement part...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wowblox
Drives on Pavement

Postby giusedtobe » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:02 pm

Still have pretty good pep? I bought my 88 as a non runner and ended up rebuilding the engine. Just got through going through the brakes; rebuilding the calipers and replacing the master cylinder.

Pretty simple rigs to work on compared to newer stuff. The planet is a great help. Lots of very good mechanics on this site that are happy to help. BTW I am happy to help but not one of the great mechanics Lol.

I wouldn't worry too much about the overflow bottle immediately but I do recommend going through the cooling system because these things are known for blowing head gaskets so you need to keep her cool. Any idea on the history? has the motor been rebuilt of head gasket replaced?
giusedtobe
Trail Master

Postby giusedtobe » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:05 pm

Guy named Shawn Anthony on here has spare parts. Out of Las Vegas I think. Jerry Lemond carries a bunch of new old stock stuff. He is in the Atlanta GA area and I think he was like a regional parts/service guy for Isuzu before they left the US.

You could also post on classifieds for another overflow bottle. A lot of them are dry rotted. Mine is intact but the lid is iffy
giusedtobe
Trail Master

Postby Ed Mc. » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:20 pm

Welcome to the Planet! Your relatively rust-free rig certainly looks decent.

Probably just needs basic maint (coolant flush, check/renew belts & hoses as necessary, change filters, fluids, etc etc).

Use a good quality filter such as Wix, NAPA Gold, Mobil. The engine will like full synthetic, 10W-30 or so, Supertech or higher-priced name-brand oils. You can use good old 90W in the rear and front diffs or get fancy and do synthetic.

Use 10W-30 motor oil in the transmission, NOT gear oil, which will destroy the bearings. If the transmission tends to be a bit noisy, you can use straight 30W but shifting action may be a bit stiff in cold climates until warmed up. You can also splurge and use a Redline transmission oil that's recommended for the ZuZu trans, it'll greatly improve shifting action. From what I understand, Penzoil "Synchromesh" has similar properties and is readily available in most auto parts stores.

If you renew the thermostat, OE temp is 180F. Point the rig uphill and warm up with the radiator cap off, to "burp" any entrapped air out of the system. Or use a "Spill-Free" funnel which helps greatly in getting the system filled and purged without a mess.

Last but Most Important thought, Adjust.The.Valves.! These should be adjusted at least every 10K miles, otherwise exhaust valves tighten up and will burn. .008 intake, .010 exhaust.

Use the Search feature here and you'll find a lot of tips and How-To's. You can also search from a web browser, use "planetisuzoo.com: xxxxxxxxxxx" as your search string. Sometimes that will give better results than the forum Search.

HTH, enjoy your "new" Trooper!...........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 407 times

Postby wowblox » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:25 am

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!! I can tell i will be on here alot once i have time to work on the Trooper more. Two kids and a move coming up so will likely not be able to fix things till september.
wowblox
Drives on Pavement

Postby giusedtobe » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:44 am

wowblox wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions guys!! I can tell i will be on here alot once i have time to work on the Trooper more. Two kids and a move coming up so will likely not be able to fix things till september.

Lol, I bought a project 1953 Chevy pick up when my wife was 6 months preggers with #1. Needless to say the wife was not happy. Daughter is in college now and I sold the truck ten years or so ago and have kicked myself repeatedly ever since. They are getting really hard to find for anything but ridiculous prices.
giusedtobe
Trail Master