Isuzu SUV Forum banner

1991 2.8 V6- Ignition Switch wiring

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  staggerlee 
#1 ·
According to the manual, I have an open between the grounding lead and the ignition switch, Does anyone now the wire color for the ignition switch ground? or where that ground attaches?
Thanks.

#4 ·
Alternator is not charging battery/send power. When jumped, truck will idle, but a voltmeter on battery shows battery drains down till motor stops. Already replaced alternator due to broken B terminal (would just spin with nut). Troubleshooting in the manual: if charge light does not come on, place fused jumper between L terminal and ground, if still does not come on, locate open between grounding lead and ignition switch. So I'm trying to figure out how to locate that open. The manual has a wiring diagram, which shows L terminal to junction to ignition switch (among various others) but no reference to grounding lead. Thanks for the help.

#5 ·
staggerlee said:
Alternator is not charging battery/send power. When jumped, truck will idle, but a voltmeter on battery shows battery drains down till motor stops. Already replaced alternator due to broken B terminal (would just spin with nut). Troubleshooting in the manual: if charge light does not come on, place fused jumper between L terminal and ground, if still does not come on, locate open between grounding lead and ignition switch. So I'm trying to figure out how to locate that open. The manual has a wiring diagram, which shows L terminal to junction to ignition switch (among various others) but no reference to grounding lead. Thanks for the help.
The L terminal is connected to a series parallel circuit. With the common connection being the L terminal one leg of the parallel circuit is for the battery light on the dash. This light circuit is connected in series to a fuse under the hood. The other leg of the parallel circuit is connected in series to the voltage sensing resistor located behind the dash. Then is connected in series to a fuse under the hood.

Check the dropping resistor for proper resistance and continuity on either side of the resistor to the end of the circuit. This leg is the control circuit for the alternator.

#6 ·
Thank you , shawn anthony, I as focused on the other side (from the B terminal) since that's where the ign switch is shown in the diagram. Turns out, the connector for the l terminal is bad, only available through rock auto apparently. That aside, I can get continuity to the first fuse, but not the second. So it's likely the resistor, I have yet to locate that resistor, which according to my diagram should be a 510 ohs in-line, with white green wire on one side and yellow black on the other. Looking online for the resistor, all I can locate is the blower motor resistor, to be clear, the resistor to which you refer is not the same resistor, correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.