Isuzu SUV Forum banner

My 1989 Amigo 2WD

11K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  tylerruinstrucks 
#1 ·
Hi all!

Over 15 years ago, my first car was my dad's old 1990 Trooper. I am now rejoining the Isuzu family with this fantastic little Amigo I picked up in Phoenix last weekend. 124k miles. 2.6L 5-speed. 2WD. 33" tires. 3" lift. Drove her all the way back to Los Angeles without any problems (minus the rear passenger tire delaminating at 60mph and doing some damage to the body and cracking my taillight :cry: ).

I've got a carpet on it's way from Stock Interiors, a new OEM shifter boot from the legendary Jerry and have a lot of other fun little projects in mind including a custom tire cover and eventually adding A/C.

html upload image

Looks so good in the desert. We camped outside Phoenix for the night before heading home. These big A/T tires handled the rocky dirt roads fine, even with just 2WD.

My son came on the trip. Made him earn his keep with window washes at the gas stations.

Appreciate all I've learned here so far and thank you all in advance for the future help I'm sure I'll need.

Tyler

See less See more
#27 ·
I THINK all the wiring is present. And the previous owner gave me a AC faceplate that includes the button to engage the AC so hopefully I'm good on that front. Not sure when I'll actually start on this project. I think I'm going to replace my radiator soon, so I'll probably wait until then to do it all when I have maximum access.

#28 ·
Hey all,

Just dropping by with some pics of a recent off-roading adventure I took in the Angeles National Forest. My rig is 2WD but my 33" A/Ts handled a couple dicey spots very well. She'll never be a rock crawler but its nice to know I can still get out there and off the beaten path. For anyone in the LA area, check out the drive from Big Tujunga Canyon Rd to Mount Pacifico campground. The final stretch is a 5 mi bumpy dirt road that winds its way up to an elevation of 7,000 ft. Great views and not too long a drive.

Album:

#29 ·
Looking great! My other truck is 2wd and I've considered adding a 2 speed transfer case from a 4wd just to get low range (and skipping the front drive train). In my Trooper I rarely bothered to jump out and lock the hubs so spent most of my time in the backcountry in 2wd Low range and the truck was capable as hell.

#31 ·
szac said:
Looking great! My other truck is 2wd and I've considered adding a 2 speed transfer case from a 4wd just to get low range (and skipping the front drive train). In my Trooper I rarely bothered to jump out and lock the hubs so spent most of my time in the backcountry in 2wd Low range and the truck was capable as hell.
Thanks! I don't know what that swap would entail but it sounds like a good plan! I was in 1st and 2nd basically the whole time and only got slightly stuck once in a little patch of sandy gravel. But I was able to get out without too much hassle.

#36 ·
Most '92 -'97 Troopers came with a G80 rear. Simplified version: rotate or remove rear brake calipers to clear brake discs, remove the 4 outer axle bearing keeper bolts, slide each axle out a couple inches, unbolt driveshaft from rear diff, remove diff center section (careful! it's heavy) Been a few years since I pulled one, but I think this is close. Also, my part terminology may not be 100% correct. Feel free to correct me folks!

Mike

#39 ·
Hey all, it’s been awhile. Love the new site refresh!

I blew out another tire in July so Amigo was shelved while I figured out what I wanted to replace them with. Ended up going from 33s to these 31” Wrangler Duratracs. Got a screaming friends&family discount. Also got the snowflakes out of my garage and onto the damn truck. (Also discovered my fifth snowflake is a 16, not 15 —- anyone wanna trade??)

Will be taking off the body kit lift soon and then probably doing torsion bar crank and shackles to get a 1.5 to 2” lift.

I can already tell she’s much happier rolling on 31s

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.