ye olde camshaft question

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

ye olde camshaft question

Postby NCEvets » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:38 pm

I'm wanting to see if I can get just a wee bit more pep in my engine (a 4DZ1 in a Trooper) and want to upgrade the cam, so based on price and etc. I thought I'd get one from a 2.6 Rodeo.

So...

What is the best one to get? I believe Jerry stated a 1992 to 4-1993 one is the best (via some previous PI forum posts); J5 seems to recommend the 1995 ones. Does it matter, just as long as it's from a 1991-1996 Rodeo? And/or is there any or much of a difference between the years?

Thanks!
Steve
NC, USA
1987 Trooper II ::: 2.3l ::: carbureted ::: 4-door ::: MSG 5-speed trans. ::: A/C ::: manual everything [HALLELUJAH!]
https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 5&t=133951
NCEvets
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 3 times

Sponsor

Re: ye olde camshaft question

Postby Ed Mc. » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:26 pm

Get the "Jerry Cam", it's the hot setup for the 4ZD1 and 4ZE1. It primarily enhances midrange to top-end performance without hurting the bottom-end. Contact Jerry directly for ordering details. " JLEMOND " on this forum or [email protected]

Here are some postings on the cam, which appears to be similar to the Delta Cams "270" grind but probably better, as ZuZu Dudes using this cam are very happy with it:

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 5#p5204385

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... &start=400

Search here on "jerry cam" for more.

You'll probably need a set of these inexpensive EMPI VW valve lash caps to correct the valve geometry:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 6&_sacat=0

You're also gonna want to make improvements to the exhaust, to take advantage of the improved engine breathing. Don't go larger than 2-1/4" on a 2.3 or 2.6, or you'll kill your bottom-end.

HTH.........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 407 times

Postby NCEvets » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:00 pm

Cool, thanks!

I was thinking about getting the Jerry cam (or the Delta 270), but they're more expensive than a Rodeo cam and I'm trying to save some $ right now in areas that I can.

I have the Pacesetter exhaust and free-flow muffler and a Weber 32/36 carb already, but hadn't upgraded my cam yet. (I'm also about to get 2.6 valves and seats installed into my 2.3 head; this is going into a spare 2.3 head I'm building for when I need to replace my headgasket.)

In my quest for an inexpensive cam (i.e. a junk yard pull one), I'm trying to figure out what Rodeo cam is considered to be "the best." I've dug through all the previous forum posts that I could find and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on it.
Steve
NC, USA
1987 Trooper II ::: 2.3l ::: carbureted ::: 4-door ::: MSG 5-speed trans. ::: A/C ::: manual everything [HALLELUJAH!]
https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 5&t=133951
NCEvets
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:00 pm

2.6 engines '93-up had the revised cylinder head, single-barrel throttle body, larger-i.d. MAF, and modified upper intake plenum, among other mods I don't recall.

I'd imagine that's when ZuZu recalibrated the cam profile. You could ask Jerry about that, he is a veritable Fount of ZuZu knowledge, having worked for the company back in the day.

I can tell ya that the Delta 260 made a huge difference with my old 2.3 '86 Trooper. With just that and a dirt-cheap turbo muffler, I could tow a 2000lb ski boat 70 mph on the flats. Of course, going up the hills was a different matter!! That same cam in a larger 2.6 was a real Dog at higher rpm, but pulled like a tractor. A cam that's "mild" for a larger displacement engine, when used in a smaller engine, will act more "radical" by comparison.

I'd expect that you'd get some improvement with the newer-style OE cam, but Jerry can tell ya for sure. He did tell me in the past that all the revisions ZuZu did on the 2.6 were for emissions, not power. But if a guy were building a performance 2.6, using the newer cylinder head on an older flat-top-piston 4ZE1 gives a nice bump in performance. Plus I'd think the larger MAF would help, too.

But that's all 2.6 stuff, your 2.3 don't care about that stinkin' EFI nonsense!! :twisted:

HTH.............ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 407 times