Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Fiero

15K views 53 replies 10 participants last post by  giusedtobe 
#1 ·
the almighty Fiero...hated by some..loved by many...mine is a '87 GT. 66,0000 original miles....recently did a upgrade, etc

total suspension replacement and upgrade....i.e. ball joints, control arms, bushings, new shocks, struts, rotors, added steel brake lines,
and sway bars, front and rear....four new bf goodrich T/A's.....

replace the shifter, with a shorter one...replaced all bushings, and pin, along with new shifter cables...

When I sold my 06 solstice, it funded my Fiero upgrades....and it was money well spent.....rides like a bat out of hell..

one of two american mass produced rear or mid engine cars...the other being Chevy's Corvair. (1960-1969)

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
Shawn Anthony said:
Skeletor said:
one of two american mass produced rear or mid engine cars...the other being Chevy's Corvair. (1960-1969)
Corvair is not a mid engine car. its a rear engine car as by definition the engine is located behind the rear axles
Missed that part. FWIW, the next generation Corvair (that never went into production) WAS to be a mid engine. Dennis

#29 ·
Sorry for polluting this thread with Corvair stuff Lol. Only reason I have the itch for this is because I learned to drive on one as my Dad loved them. If I do end up with one it has to be a convertible and I actually like the newer body style so ideally a corsa convertible. ANd yeah I had a 69 auto (one of Dad's) and I would NEVER buy one with an AT.

#30 ·
#31 ·
My brother was going to build one of those. He got as far as cutting the front end off the Fiero, and it all ended up in the scrapyard. I've also seen a well done trike that used the front end of a Chevy Corsica for the back / drive and added the bike front end onto that. (at least we're getting close to being back on the Fiero track :D) Dennis

#32 ·
DSUZU said:
(at least we're getting close to being back on the Fiero track :D) Dennis
Oh, funny side note. My first encounter with a Fiero was in Pinellas cty. I was in HS at the time, and a dealership gave our high school newspaper one for a week. We shared driving it and of course in exchange gave them a flattering review in the paper. ;)

#33 ·

Attachments

#34 ·
Refresh my memory. Wasn't the Fiero the one with the easily replaceable plastic door skins and body panels? Dennis

#35 ·
DSUZU said:
Refresh my memory. Wasn't the Fiero the one with the easily replaceable plastic door skins and body panels? Dennis
You are just getting old, you are thinking of a banana.

No actually you are correct. ;) They copied/borrowed it from Saturn at the time. Trust me, I test drove one in 1984. I barely had a license. You should have seen my hair though, it was fabulous. ;)

#36 ·
Ah, it WAS Saturn I was thinking of. I kind of do remember something about the Fieros too though. Yeah, I am (getting?) old. Time for a nap. :D (and I'm serious. Dennis

#37 ·
Saturn never capitalized on the "easily replaceable" plastic side panels, unfortunately. They were nice little cars for what they were. I had one for a little over a year right out of high school. The plastic panels were certainly easily removable..

I wasn't paying attention at a gas station when I finished filling up and scraped my rear door against the pump protection post - the whole plastic panel just ripped right off haha - I drove like that for a few more months until some woman hit me and flipped the car.

#38 ·
DSUZU said:
Skeletor said:
..in '65 you had 3 engine choices...the 110 HP, the 140 HP, and the Turbo charged 180 HP......FROM '60-64, 95 HP, 110, and turbo 150 HP.......
Gotta open my mouth and correct you on this:
1960 was 140 CID. Two carbs with one choke built into the air cleaner. Don't remember the horsepower, but want to say 80
1961-1963 was 145 CID. 80 HP standard and 102 HP (Monza) 1962-1963 150 HP turbo charged Spyder
1964 was 164 CID with 95 HP and 110 HP with Spyder 164 CID, but still rated at 150 HP
1965-1966 95 and 110 HP, with Corsa model 140 HP big valve heads and 4 1BBL carbs, and optional 180 HP turbo charged (larger blower IIRC)
1967-1969 Nader got his Pee Pee involved and the 180 HP and Corsa model went away with the 140 HP as a dealer installed option
I had about 25 Corvairs of various models. Somewhere in this other vehicle thread is where I rebuilt the engine in my friends 65 Greenbriar van. Kind of picture heavy.
I may have another one someday, but wife will make a LOT of toys go away first. Dennis

EDIT: https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... Greenbriar
Hijack (again). So I get a phone call from my brother Sunday morning "I'm at an estate sale and there's 2 Corvairs in the back yard and she says they're going to sell cheap". I was busy, but stopped over Monday. A 1961 Lakewood Station wagon (VERY rare), and a 1968 Monza Coupe (Factory automatic A/C car). The Lakewood has some rust that will require panel patching. The Monza has "potential". Now to determine "cheap". I may be in trouble here...Dennis

#39 ·
That is quite interesting.

The Lakewood isn't beautiful, but the coupe sure is. You'd have to go at that or both if the price is right.

#40 ·
#41 ·
I'm going to shift this so as to not totally hijack the Fiero thread. If possible, please move these posts to the new thread. Dennis

#42 ·
DSUZU said:
I'm going to shift this so as to not totally hijack the Fiero thread. If possible, please move these posts to the new thread. Dennis
naw...I don't have a problem with the Fiero thread being hi jacked....as both Corvairs and fieros were products of GM engineering, later derailed by
the BEAN COUNTERS @GM......and I own both of them..despite my wife...ha ha...

#43 ·
Skeletor said:
DSUZU said:
naw...I don't have a problem with the Fiero thread being hi jacked....as both Corvairs and fieros were products of GM engineering, later derailed by
the BEAN COUNTERS @GM......and I own both of them..despite my wife...ha ha...
spent most of friday...washing, detailing, waxing, etc...my '87 GT..also shampoo'ed the carpets, etc...she looks like a million dollars/

Attachments

#45 ·
DSUZU said:
Skeletor said:
..in '65 you had 3 engine choices...the 110 HP, the 140 HP, and the Turbo charged 180 HP......FROM '60-64, 95 HP, 110, and turbo 150 HP.......
Gotta open my mouth and correct you on this:
1960 was 140 CID. Two carbs with one choke built into the air cleaner. Don't remember the horsepower, but want to say 80
1961-1963 was 145 CID. 80 HP standard and 102 HP (Monza) 1962-1963 150 HP turbo charged Spyder
1964 was 164 CID with 95 HP and 110 HP with Spyder 164 CID, but still rated at 150 HP
1965-1966 95 and 110 HP, with Corsa model 140 HP big valve heads and 4 1BBL carbs, and optional 180 HP turbo charged (larger blower IIRC)
1967-1969 Nader got his Pee Pee involved and the 180 HP and Corsa model went away with the 140 HP as a dealer installed option
I had about 25 Corvairs of various models. Somewhere in this other vehicle thread is where I rebuilt the engine in my friends 65 Greenbriar van. Kind of picture heavy.
I may have another one someday, but wife will make a LOT of toys go away first. Dennis

EDIT: https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... Greenbriar
just some recent tweaks and updates///gave her a good wash, wax, and buff....replaced both headlight motors, as one (drivers side) was dead..the other side, was in the final stages of seizing up.replaced both..now head lights go up and down without incident ....woo woo

Attachments

#46 ·
That is one good looking little car. Probably fun to drive too. Dennis

#48 ·

Attachments

#49 ·

Attachments

#50 ·
Decent price, low miles, a good base for a project. Could be made very nice. Good candidate for an engine upgrade, too.

My latest toy, picked it up Friday the 16th. 1-owner, always garaged, 19,000 miles. Like new, a real time capsule. Even has the original tires (which are quite hard and very noisy on the hiway). Already have new AFS wheels and am going down tomorrow to Discount Tire to order a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. DOHC 32-V 305hp, 3:55 posi rear end, very fun to drive without being Insane!

Attachments

#51 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.