Greetings, old friends! Possible project.

Use this forum to post about something that doesn't fit in any other topic (ex: link to the picture of the Toyota in a sink-hole)

Moderator: Staff

Greetings, old friends! Possible project.

Postby Von » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:41 am

Howdy strangers!
I've been preoccupied with politics for a while and didn't want to sully the zoo with that stuff.

My buddy, Rockin Randall, bought a house on Lake Arrowhead and is on the volunteer fire department there. They're putting one of their brush trucks out to pasture and I'm sniffing around to see how big a donation I need to make to get that little sweetie put in my name.
Yes, it's a "converted" M715!

It's been converted to 12v, so the wiring will be butchered.
Randall said he thinks it has a 350 in it. Probably has a Novak adapter plate and the rest of the drivetrain is stock.

It's been through a lot of fires, which also means wiring problems.

He said all of the guys in the department hate driving it.. "it's a handful".

Negotiations haven't really started yet. Let's see what happens.

I showed the pic to the Mighty Wife. She just shook her head and said "Oh my God..."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 BMW 328i (The Mighty Wife's ride)
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab (my fat car with a yuge trunk)
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (SOLD)
1968 Kaiser M715, Ford 390, T18, Dodge divorced NP205, stock Dana 60 and 70 axles, lockers front and rear.
Von
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 44 times

Sponsor

Re: Greetings, old friends! Possible project.

Postby 93trooperpooper » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:09 am

nice old iron! :D seeing stuff like that ALWAYS peaks my interest.....ANYONE can go buy a new vehicle , along with everbody else, and own the same ''cookie cutter'' type and style....but it takes talent and blood and sweat and tears but in the end its different, and its yours, not the banks, and 99.9% sure your neighbor doesnt have the same color, make& model.... :lol:
will drive these until they quit and move onto something else.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby itsmehb » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:38 am

93trooperpooper wrote:nice old iron! :D seeing stuff like that ALWAYS peaks my interest.....ANYONE can go buy a new vehicle , along with everbody else, and own the same ''cookie cutter'' type and style....but it takes talent and blood and sweat and tears but in the end its different, and its yours, not the banks, and 99.9% sure your neighbor doesnt have the same color, make& model.... :lol:

Nice to see some action up there, Von. Man, Trooperpooper nailed it for me. I once when I had my 03 vet remarked, I'd rather be driving my Isuzu, to which my son-in-law said, man your crazy. But that's me. I could own something newer,but I can be assured I'll never run into another 89RS Isuzu unless I happen down to the Woodlands where Arch's black one now resides. You would be the only guy in Texas with 2 of them. Good luck.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Golf is just an expensive way to play marbles
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 325 times

Postby DSUZU » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:58 am

Good to see you back Von. Yeah, "all the guys hate driving it". When I was at St Pete, we had 4 M-35s (Deuce and a half 6x6) that we bought from the military for $1.00 each. They were for "high water use". They had no power steering, and often, the tires were a little low, making them difficult to steer. No A/C either. Our Fire Department was so impressed that they went and got one. They had theirs painted white, put a couple of thousand dollars in special tires on it, blew a wad of money on lighting, and installed a skid mounted pump apparatus in the bed. Then they were bringing it in the shop left and right for each and every little complaint because they expected it to perform like a brand new half million dollar fire truck. They all whined because it had no air or power steering. They finally surplused it, removed the skid pump, and sent it off to the auction, where they probably lost their shirt on all the had put into it. Someone got a great deal. Hope you get this one. How about an update on your other one? Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 984 times

Postby Von » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:46 pm

Dennis somebody got a great deal on that one.
I figure after Christmas I'll hit Randall up for a phone number and start negotiations.
I'm guessing that one is too butchered up to restore. I'll probably leave the drivetrain as is, rewire, winch, maybe a heavy flatbed and big fat tires. Set it up as a rescue rig.
There's a few people in the local offroad and recovery group I'd give keys to. People only get stuck when I'm going to bed or at work..

Randall said they hated trying to drive it at a steady pace off-road, they keep throwing the guys standing on the platform off. And the splines on the steering shaft is wore out like mine was. No power steering and the spline slips. I just tacked mine with the welder... It still slipped sometimes with power steering.

Not much going on with the Green Turd. I have a list of things I'd like to do, but it's been running great and I've been sidetracked.

I'd still like to go through the T18 and rebuild it. Still sounds like it has rocks in it at high speed. But with the 4.56 gears it's not as urgent.

The parking brake lever needs work. It won't stay engaged, I think the spring inside is wore out or rusted up. I don't see a way to remedy that without butchering it. Probably try to find an NOS unit and replace it.

The rear main seal on the 390 seeps... I screwed something up when I built it. But it's just gonna have to leak. I'm not pulling the engine apart for a seep. It's just enough to make a stain on the floor.

Break is over. Back to Twitter.. I got feathers to ruffle!
2015 BMW 328i (The Mighty Wife's ride)
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab (my fat car with a yuge trunk)
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (SOLD)
1968 Kaiser M715, Ford 390, T18, Dodge divorced NP205, stock Dana 60 and 70 axles, lockers front and rear.
Von
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 44 times