Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Fuel tank fire!

25K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  Enemigo 
#1 ·
The fuel pump quit on me a couple days ago, so I needed to check it out and wasn't going to deal with rusty stripped out broken bolts so I decided to use the "cut a hole in the floor" method and decided I would video tape it so that other member could reference it in the future and the most shocking thing happend.... you'll laugh, you'll cry... DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME!!!

#28 ·
My closest neighbor had a fire on his place a couple years ago while he was not home and he has acres of everything from vehicles, riding movers, sheds, building supplies, basically he drags home anything he can get his hands on that he can afford... He brings new meaning to the word pack rat or hoarder.... well, most exciting was the field of 55 gallon drums of diesel fuel that he'd collected that was going off like roman candles one every 15 seconds or so.... you could see the mushroom clouds from the next county.....the fire department showed up in time to put the grass out before it got into the woods.... it gets pretty exciting around here some times...

#29 ·
********** said:
Bart, let's keep the video off prime time if possible... I don't mind sharing my mishaps with you guys but I really don't want to be known nationwide as the moron who about blew himself up out in the woods an hour from the nearest firetruck....
Don't worry, I am not sending it anywhere. It would however, be hilarious. You would get your 15 minutes of fame for sure. :)

Bart

#30 ·
********** said:
My closest neighbor had a fire on his place a couple years ago while he was not home and he has acres of everything from vehicles, riding movers, sheds, building supplies, basically he drags home anything he can get his hands on that he can afford... He brings new meaning to the word pack rat or hoarder.... well, most exciting was the field of 55 gallon drums of diesel fuel that he'd collected that was going off like roman candles one every 15 seconds or so.... you could see the mushroom clouds from the next county.....the fire department showed up in time to put the grass out before it got into the woods.... it gets pretty exciting around here some times...
Oh Joy!, :shock: that must have been fun to watch.. :roll: NOT! ...while wondering whether you'd have to evec your family.
Last year you probably heard about the 114,000 acre forest fire we had here in NM that threatened the nuclear lab up in Los Alamos and burned for most of the summer. That was caused by a tree blowing down onto power lines on a ranch when the caretaker was in town for the day. The one across the valley from it that burned something like 55,000 acres at the same time, was started by a hot catalytic converter of a 4x4 parked on some dried grass while off roading, or so I heard. It went up so quick they were lucky to be able to get out in a second vehicle.

I don't know how dry things are presently in your neck of the woods, or if you have power lines or getting power from a generator. But if things are looking to be tinder dry and you do have lines up to your place, you can call the utility company and probably have them do an on site assesment along the whole line, to get any potential blowdowns like that removed before it causes problems.

I can only hope your neighbor learned his lesson about collecting hazardous materials.

As far as getting famous for this vid is concerned, I would gladly nominate this to the "Hall of Fame" thread collection on this site, just because it is unique, highly instructive :wink: and certainly worthy to be included.

#32 ·
Hah! Nomination to thread "Hall of Fame" was accepted I see. Well, after all,...this topic's a "scorcher"!

I suspect John might just save lives with his video.

#33 ·
That was sure one of those moments !! It happens and it a good memo ... I was welding around the gas tank on my 91 amigo and I'll be damned , that when pulling the gun back out I bumped the trigger and popped a hole in my tank and it poofed !!!
It went right out but good god !! It just happens in seconds... People think I'm crazy when I work around fuel systems to weld and stuff !!! Glad you didn't get anything but a surprise !!

#34 ·
Glad you're still with us Brad...

Most fun I ever had as a kid was the bicenentennial 4th July 1976, my neighbor and I along with his boss who was a blasting contractor towed an old Corvair van out into the flats of this 200 yd wide sandy river wash down below our property with a full tank of gas in it and wired up 4 sticks of dynamite...and my friend's boss hands me the plunger to do the honors, bein' it was my idea...(chuckle)

You seen videos of A-bomb explosions right? We're hiding behind this sand burm with hardhats on about 75 yards away...that mushroom cloud of fire was over 150 ft high and crap rained down on us for a full ten seconds after..HOLY $#!$#! We used just a little too much dynamite! Local sheriff rolls by about a half hour later..."break any windows?" he asks, grinning...LOL! There's NO WAY you could get away with that without blackhawks hovering thinking it was some kind of terrorist incident these days.

We rattled a few and all the neighbors thought it was a grand fireworks show. It was looking a lot like a full on war zone for awhile...over a hundred roman candles, rockets, flares, and capped off with the first ever "car bomb" .

Now that gas tank had help...blowing sky high...but let's try not to become a char broiled crispy critters shall we?

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

#35 ·
Hell, I was barely a year old in 1976, but even when I was a kid growing up in the 80s, "home-made" fireworks were still no big deal. I kept doing that until I was a young adult, but then it became a little too scary (not the fireworks but the consequences of making them) so I just don't play around like that any more. Such a shame too, it was so much "good clean fun". :)

Bart

#37 ·
Now I just watch Mythbusters blow stuff up...(Sob!)

#39 ·
Enemigo said:
Can a mod change the title to some of these Hall of Fame threads to reflect what they are actually about?
Talk about a thread revival!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.