Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Easy alternator upgrade

19K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Dudebra84 
#1 ·
For those of us with 60 or 70 amp alternators, I just installed unit from 99-02 Trooper (100 amp I believe). It is a much beefier unit and it bolted in the same brackets and used the same length belt (just use the inner 4 grooves on the pulley). I got mine from a local auto recycler for $45 with the electrical connector. I cut off the old plug ,soldered the new one on, and was back on the road in about 45 min. The wires were even the same colors.

Reactions: Tad
#6 ·
I have the stock 90 Amp Denso alternator on my 02 trooper and have not had one issue with it. I'm actually surprised. I have a lot of accessories wired up including a powerful radio, 2 amps, HID fog lights, HID head lights, under glow lights, floor lights, cb radio , none of these items use a lot of power but the alternator has been very good to me.

#8 ·
I believe the trooper and rodeo use the same part, so it should work. Beware, reman units are REALLY expensive, that's why I got mine used.

#9 ·
the only thing I'd watch out for are the plugs. I needed a new alternator and I pulled the alternator off another 2nd gen rodeo and the plugs were different. Same thing again. In the end I had to just take a pic of the plug and ask jerry to just end me the right alternator. I was tired of pulling the wrong alternators. lol.

#14 ·
:laughing6: LOL
Basinga!

You know kable, he was just referring to your belts being pos if they are stretching and not working properly. He meant no disrespect to you or your ride but was just trying to help you with your problem. We are all friends here trying to help one another. If I asked a friend to help me with a problematic car part and he told me to throw that pos away and buy oem. I wouldn't be offended. So is it still squeeling?

#15 ·
i just was down at autozone comparing the alternators for my 97 rodeo 3.2, a 99 rodeo 3.2, 97 passport 3.2, and the 2000+ trooper 3.5. they are all the same size and would bolt up fine, however, the connectors are different. the 97 rodeo/passport looked like they had 4 pin connectors as did the trooper. but the 99 rodeo only had a 2 pin connector.. it's too bad someone couldnt make a plug & play adapter to go from the rodeo 4 pin to the trooper 4 pin... i may look into doin this next time i am at the junk yard. i too have a set of fog lights on the grill, cb radio, a pair of subs and an amp. seems like i have to choose between my rear defrost, fog lights, or radio. cuz all of them at once, and my volt gauge goes under 12...

#16 ·
There are multiple pins but only 2 wires are used, white/green, and black if memory serves. Some used 3 wires but the pink is tied into the white/green I believe (have to check the schematic).

#17 ·
I have a 2002 Rodeo LS and the alternator has fried two times now. The first time was due to ,e taking the Optima Yellow Top out of my wrangler and put it in the Rodeo. Now I don't know what it is. I'm as,king when they replaced it, it was with a low output replacement. I have a 1000 watt sub and HID headlights and I'm assuming that's the cause. Is there a certain year Rodeo or Trooper I should be looking for when I go to the scrapyard tomorrow?

#18 ·
#20 ·
I did a high-amp one on my 2.6. I think there is a thread under my name about it. If I were doing it again I would just get one of the "kits" off of Ebay to start. It will end up much cheaper. You may need a small relay to turn on the engine relay (basically a 4v coil relay to switch 12v to the engine relay coil) because of the differences between the way the stock one works and how most alternators work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140-AMP-CS130-A ... 31&vxp=mtr

-Tad

#21 ·
IsuzuGeek said:
Anyone know if there is an easy upgrade for 1st gens with a 2.6? I want to run dual batteries and I would like a better alternator to juice everything up.

Bart
Stock you have a Hitachi LR150-718 that is rated at 50 amps. It's a little confusing because the LR160-718 is listed for the same application and it produces 60 amps. Both use a 350 plug, rotates CW, 175mm distance between mounting ears and the pulley is 72mm OD x 17mm V-channel(Pulley class V1). This alternator was used from 1988-95 on all the 4 cylinders.

The 1995 Nissan Pathfinder and 1995-96 Pickup use a Hitachi LR170-745. It uses a 300 plug, rotates CW, 175mm distance between mounting ears and the pulley class is V1. So on paper it looks like you could pull one of these from the junk yard and get a 70 amp alternator with the only mod being a little wiring. I'm not sure it would be worth it though for 10-20 extra amps of power. There is a High Output version made by Mean Green, P/N MG11353, which is rated at 180 amps but it costs around $379.99+ shipping. The

If you don't mind spending some time in a junk yard you could always make your self a 175mm "template" and walk around checking for fitment on various alternators. Anything over 175mm will work, you'll just have to make a spacer to account for the additional distance. I would check the various Nissan's the use the 2.4l and any version of the VGxx series engine since they all use a similar mount.

In my search for IsuzuGeek I stumbled across this page: http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hiouispeal.html where they list a 180amp alternator for 92-95 Troopers and Rodeo/Amigos.

Here's a random link that will very useful if you decide to rebuild an alternator or use the kit that Tad listed. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Wiring/Part2/

#22 ·
Bump for an old goody thread here that I recently referenced as a starting point for an alternator upgrade.

My 95.0 3.2L Rodeo was just upgraded to a 90A alternator from a 2001 Trooper. Purchased reman from Advance Auto (carquest brand). Had a good friend help out. He was able to use a DMM to identify which pins were which. Both systems are 3-pin + power. There's an ignition line, a voltage sense line, and a lamp line. Once identified the swap is fairly straight forward. The alternator bolts right up, the wider/larger pulley was fine. Plenty of play in the adjuster to use it. Doesn't seem to need the pulley swapped. The larger pulley is still delivering great power at idle RPM.

#23 ·
IF you want to tinker, pick up a junked alternator. A rebuild kit and bearing is cheap, and takes a couple hours of time...it's a fulfilling way to spend an afternoon...heck, generally people will GIVE you a scrap alternator..90 amp, etc.

#24 ·
i know this is an older post but i'm wondering if anyone could shed some light and help me by telling me how to wire this thing up
99 trooper alternator into a 97 3.2 rodeo any help would be great

ive got the trooper alternator, rebuilt it and i have the connector

help me please guys

#25 ·
Dudebra84 said:
i know this is an older post but i'm wondering if anyone could shed some light and help me by telling me how to wire this thing up
99 trooper alternator into a 97 3.2 rodeo any help would be great

ive got the trooper alternator, rebuilt it and i have the connector

help me please guys
Does the 97 Rodeo alternator connector wiring harness have 4 or 3 wires?
What are the color codes of the wires?

#26 ·
Hey buster thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. I had to move and started a new job.
I'm looking forward to getting my truck into the garage today because I finally got it all cleaned out. After which I will pull the old stock alternator and give you more info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.