Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Retrofit Rear Washer/Wiper/Defrost?

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  ZuCruTrooper2 
#1 ·
I searched the forum and couldn't find anything.

Has anybody here put a rear wiper and washer and defrosting glass into a 1st gen Trooper that didn't have them?

I'm particularly interested in drilling holes for the wiper and washer and mounting them.

I can get a red tailgate door from an LS trooper with everything for $100. I'm not sure if I should get it since the paint might not match exactly and just do it to mine.

Any suggestions?

#4 ·
anivek said:
ive never seen one that didnt come with a wiper, $100 seem a little high for a door. they go for about$50 here. and i just got one for free..... so i have most of the parts you need....thanks to jake...aka underdog
Yeah, it is high, so I told them where they could put that door, after I got the power locks off of it. Just need to go back and grab the window regulators (got the switches already). I don't know how I ever lived without power doors. Everything is so much easier. Plus it trips people out, an old truck with PDL. hehe

Well, base S model means base. It didn't even have a radio I think. Sure changed that :wink: Just need to sound proof this baby so I can hear something other than highs and lows. It sounds great but it's "empty". My home theater sounds very rich, while my truck lacks that. Not to mention the sub only hits at high volume levels. And I need to reduce the box volume. Boy I've gotten off-track haven't I???

#5 ·
So almost thirteen years later, (and almost twice as old as I was then) I finally have the rear wiper parts. I just got the truck back from the body shop for some rust repairs and want to tackle some projects that parts have been piling up for years on...

So back to my question from 2008: can anyone help me locate the dimensions/position of the hole for the rear wiper?

Ps I'd pay three hundred bucks for the previously mentioned door above nowadays....

#6 ·
As said earlier, I've never seen a Gen I without a rear wiper. First thing I'd do would be to make sure there are mounts for the wiper motor in place. If they're not already there, that would be more difficult than locating the hole. What year is your truck?

Mike

#7 ·
I'm surprised I've gotten that response twice. Maybe it's a California thing where they didn't get rear wiper and defroster?

Mine is a 1991 base model.

#9 ·
Doh! Thought I answered that this morning. Yes, inside door handle bracket is the same for wiper/non wiper configuration, the rubber mounts are on the wiper motor and the holes all line up.

When I asked Jerry he said there should be a mark on the inside but it's not present on mine. The washer hole isn't important to get perfect for obvious reasons.

If anyone has their door apart or is parting out one and has removed the wiper and can take some measurement, it would be much appreciated. Nothing like ticking off a 13 year old item on the todo list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.