Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Need help ID'ing a tiny bulb, please

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  93trooperpooper 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This bulb is used in the switches surrounding the instrument cluster on '88-'95 Pickups and 1st Gen Rodeos. It's also used in the mirror control switch on several Isuzus. Of the three I checked, all were bad. Can anybody identify it?
244B6341-8C90-447A-AF1E-FF8154BF8215.jpeg

The socket had a "TS" (definitely not "T5"), but my search came up full of useless results.
8B3A64D6-C9EC-49F8-804C-FE9E8DB2FA1C.jpeg

Thanks.
Jack

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I just repaired the same on my 90's turbo volvo. I posted about it on a volvo forum, actually. I will try to link that.

Bottom line:
get the lights cheap off ebay, then twist them in with a pick and tweezers. It's really easy.

They are ID'd by the base width. That is very likely 3mm. Take a micrometer and measure the width of that spade on the bottom. Then you know what to order.

#3 ·
i bought a bunch of different size led bulbs from e-bay , in different colors. took them out of their holders and installed them into the oem isuzu bulb holders. they are polarity sensitive. takes a little bit of fine wire bending, but all the switches and lamps in my '93 trooper are led.

why replace the switch, if all it needs is a bulb ?

#4 ·
Oro said:
They are ID'd by the base width. That is very likely 3mm. Take a micrometer and measure the width of that spade on the bottom. Then you know what to order.
Thanks, I'll do that!

Yes, an LED woutbe great if I can find a suitable one.
93trooperpooper said:
why replace the switch, if all it needs is a bulb ?
I'm not planning to replace the switch. It's for an '83 P'up that didn't originally have power mirrors. I just got the switch from my local salvage yard.

Jack

#5 ·
i was talking like an oem parts supplier...they show that the entire switch needs to be replaced , if the bulb burns out in it...
but myself, being the guy i am, took the switch apart carefully , and replaced the bulb, not the switch...
some of the switches have multiple detent balls / springs inside...watch out they dont get lost when you open it up !!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
93trooperpooper said:
i was talking like an oem parts supplier...they show that the entire switch needs to be replaced , if the bulb burns out in it...
but myself, being the guy i am, took the switch apart carefully , and replaced the bulb, not the switch...
some of the switches have multiple detent balls / springs inside...watch out they dont get lost when you open it up !!
Enemigo said:
Sounds like working on a firearm. Do it inside a large bag so anything that goes flying is easier to find.
No, this is definitely designed to be replaceable. The bulb holder pops right in/out of the back of the switch. In the pic below, the bulb and holder are lying on the switch, outlined in orange. They even have the word "LAMP" below where it goes, with an arrow pointing to it.
switch_back.jpg

Jack

Attachments

#9 ·
93trooperpooper said:
some of the light bulbs in isuzu switches are not meant to be replaced...the twist in ones are an obvious easy replacement, then there are the rubber mounted bulbs that are fairly easy to replace as well...
Yes, if I could only find one. It is the same bulb as used in the small twist-in assemblies.

Jack

#11 ·
Did you measure that spade base on the stock bulb?

#18 · (Edited)
i bought a bunch of different led bulbs / styles from e-bay and made them work....
some of them i had to remove from the provided socket, and install into the isuzu socket... a little retro-fitting, but i have led bulbs in all my switches.
i had installed white, but even with the dimmer turned all the way down, they were too bright, and burned too hot, and burned out. i switched to red led in the switches, blue concave led 194 in the dash, a green led for the a/c switch...
white led color is not a ''natural'' color in the led spectrum...it is more manipulated than the other natural colors to make ''white'' light, therefore burns hotter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.