Isuzu SUV Forum banner

86 Trooper Radio Wiring

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  batman 
#1 ·
Morning folks.
Working on installing an aftermarket radio in my 86 trooper. New to the trooper world, but I've done radios before.
Went and got an adapter harness from wally world and soldered it up. Plug the radio in and nothing.
Got out the multimeter and the FSM wiring diagram and started checking the trooper side harness.
Diagram says their should be 8 speaker wires, ground, and switched hot. But when I check it, I only have a constant hot.
There is also a sperate orange wire that has constant 12v coming down from the cluster area, I'm assuming that's somehow related to dimmer function, but not sure.
I'm confused because the factory radio worked fine, but there doesn't seem to be a switched hot anywhere.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

#2 ·
I'm just finishing wiring a pioneer avh-3500nex and 2 pair of kicker csc65 speakers. Haven't put everything back together yet still have to hook up backup camera and parking brake safety wire. My trooper is a 88 but wiring should be very similar for the 86. My trooper had a sony aftermarket radio when I got it and an male aftermarket adapter plug which is identical to the one I ordered for my new pioneer unit. The old sony radio worked just fine with this set-up.
I did the same thing as you did checking the various wires in the factory side of the plugin. I only found a wire that was hot all the time. I connected the yellow wire to it. I found a wire that was hot only when the lights were on and connected an orange w/ white tracer wire to it. I couldn't find a wire in the factory side of the radio plugin that was hot with key on. I found a wire on the drivers side with a round female end right above the black plastic hvac tubing to the left of the steering column. I connected the red wire to it and is hot with key in on position. Even though the old sony worked I ran the black wire from my new pioneer to a separate ground. The aftermarket adapter plug that I bought and the one on the old sony unit had the black wire going to the aftermarket side of the plugin. This is a double decker plugin with two rows of wires one above the other. On the factory side of the plugin there wasn't a wire in the slot where the ground was supposed to plug in. I don't know how the old sony worked unless it grounded through the mounting brackets. That's why I ran a separate ground wire to metal frame of the dash. My new unit sounds unbelievable even without an amplifier, it has 50w per speaker built-in. All the speaker wire colors and connections were the same as the old sony and plugged right into the factory side of the radio harness. I'm going to try to send an attachment showing a list of the wiring connections with colors. I think most radio manufacturers use the same colors and connections now. My sony and pioneer are identical. Hope this helps-Batman!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.