Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2001 Rodeo Fog Lights Not Getting Power

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  dagman65 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Rodeo that I'm trying to add fog lights to. I got the switch from a junkyard 1999 Rodeo (after getting one from a 2003 that I later found has the wrong plug type in the back for the 2001). I have a relay in the fog light position that I have tested and confirm is working properly, as well as a 15A fuse in the fog light position.

My problem is that they are not coming on. After some troubleshooting with the multimeter, I found that I'm never getting 12V at the relay position. The two contacts that should supply 12V to the fog lights is always reading at 1V no matter what - car power on/off, headlights on/off, there is always about 1V available at the relay where the relay would be switching power on/off. I checked the headlights and found I've always got 12V there, as would be expected since you can turn the headlights on regardless of the ignition position.

The switch itself seems to be operating correctly (although I can't be 100% sure without knowing what each pin should be doing when on/off) however the light never turns on to indicate fogs on/off and I don't hear the relay click when I activate the switch either.

Any thoughts on where to look next?

#5 ·
Okay, turned out to be very simple issue. I do actually have 12V at the fog light relay if the headlights are on.

I have power and ground right down to the fog lights (poked a sharp probe through the wire insulation near the connector with fogs "on' and headlights on). But, if I probe the connector prongs themselves I get nothing. So, the connectors are the problem - both prongs on both sides are dead. Any idea what that connector is so I can just replace it without replacing the connector on my new fog lights as well?

I think the issue with the switch is just that the little bulb is probably burned out - I'll deal with that later...

#6 ·
Each Fog lamp has a two Pin harness connector, one Pin is +12 from the relay and the other Pin is connected to ground. Doesn't seem likely that both the left and right side Fog lamp harness connectors are defective at the same time.

Attachments

#7 ·
It's not the harness, per-se, it's the connector blades that were the issue. I put some vinegar on them, scraped them up as much as i could with a small wood screw, and that actually worked. I might need to still replace those connectors later, but for now, it's good to go!

The bulb in the switch was burned out but I luckily had another switch for an '03 Rodeo (doesn't fit my '01) that I pulled the bulb from and moved it over. Everything works a treat now! Thanks for the help!

#10 ·
Hey Guys!

New forum member here. I have a 2002 Rodeo that did not originally come with fog lights. I have the entire system (brand new lights, brackets, switch) installed except for the relay. The relay has me stumped. I have a 2002 parts truck that has all relays in the under hood fuze box (no fog light relay). Will one of these relays work? Maybe the headlight relay? If not, can someone tell me where I can get the correct relay? The one thing I LOVE about these Rodeos is they are prewired for practically every option even if the option wasn't on the vehicle (I have installed two speakers over the rear window, transplanted a rear aux power outlet, and electric mirrors/switch from the parts truck). Another question I have is the operation of the fog lights (mainly because I haven't gotten mine to work yet): Do they operate with the running lights on (without headlights) or do the headlights have to be on? Any help anyone can be with the fog light relay will be much appreciated! Thank you!

BTW...I've had this truck for 10 years and there's not much I haven't done to it so if anyone needs has any questions shoot 'em at me...I would love to help out any fellow Rodeo owners.

#12 ·
The Fog Lamps are only illuminated with the head lamp switch in the On position and the Dimmer Switch in the Low Beam position in a 2002 Rodeo/Rodeo Sport
The Isuzu part number for the Fog Lamp Relay is 8-97093-910-1 which crosses to a CarQuest 56-1583
There are some identical relays in the engine compartment fuse and relay box.

#14 ·
I didn't have any luck with Carquest relay part number. The only parts store that had a relay for a Rodeo that had "fog light relay" in the description was O'Reilly's
When I tried it, no joy. Upon closer inspection of the relay connections in the box under the hood, it appears that one of the connectors has been pushed out and is not connecting with the relay. I have not had a chance to finagle with the under hood fuse/relay box enough to be able to get to that connector to push it back into place. All other parts of the system are in place, brand new fog lights (mounted with the correct brackets) connected to existing wiring, switch installed in dash and connected to correct harness. The only thing I need to do is fix the connection in the fuse/relay box (hopefully). And find that damn relay...I forgot where I put it!! I just haven't had time to mess with it lately. Will update once I do and post pictures

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.