Trooper alternator replacement (with pictures)

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Trooper alternator replacement (with pictures)

Postby TyCobb2001 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:02 am

Today I finally had the time to replace my alternator. It failed on Monday and I've been driving to and from work on just the battery for a week, putting it on the trickle charger each night. I took lots of pictures and will detail, step by step, the procedure and tools that I used, from start to finish. While it took me something like 3 hours, now that I know exactly how to do it, I see that it could easily be done in less than an hour if you don't stop for breaks, pictures, and spend 30 minutes looking for the 10mm socket in the bottom of the tool bin that is not there. Hopefully this will help anyone who's apprehensive about doing this, or maybe save someone time figuring things out. Enjoy.......

Edit: Today 3/06/16 I added the final pics and stuff. If you have questions or comments, please chime in.

Tools

Jack and jack stands (if you're not working on a concrete surface, add some wood boards or steel plates)
Lug wrench
Sockets and/or wrenches in 10mm thru 14mm
Pry bar
Dielectric grease
Electrical contact cleaner
Nice size piece of plywood or flat board (optional, to place nuts, bolts, and tools to keep them in order)
Carpet remnant to lay on (optional)

Procedure

Begin by making sure your vehicle is on a relatively flat and level surface with the emergency brake on. Chock the rear wheels. Loosen every nut and bolt you can get to. I did the alternator bolts, the P/S pump adjustment bolt, and the lug nuts (I did right and left as I rotated my front tires).
Safely jack the vehicle and place the jack stands under it. I placed one on the right frame behind the front tire (see pics) and another under the front differential (see pics).
Remove the front passenger wheel.
If your vehicle still has the inner wheel well mud flaps (mine does) prop them up out of the way. Reach in through the wheel well and remove the small red rubber cap from on top of the "power wire" (don't know what it's called see pic) that goes to the battery using the 10mm (I used a wrench for this).
If you can, remove the plug from the rear of the alternator, there is a little piece to press and the you pull rearwards (see pic). I couldn't.
Special note here: If you know where everything is as far as the alternator bolts are, you could probably do most of this thru the wheel well, but this how I did it today. Hopefully I wont have to do it again for some time to see if I can.
Next, climb under and remove the bottom alternator bolt. Then push the bottom of the alternator toward the left (drivers side) and remove the belt from the alternator pulley.
Move to the passenger wheel well and remove the top alternator bolt.
Rock the alternator back and forth while pulling down until it drops. Mine was encrusted in what looked like 23 years of crud. Wiggle and rotate it and move it directly forward until you can slide it out of the wheel well. You should be able to pull it out in almost the same orientation as it sits in the vehicle.
Disconnect the wiring harness if you haven't already (see pic).
Clean the male end of wiring harness with the electrical contact cleaner and prep the new alternator female receptacle with the dielectric grease.

The installation is pretty much the reverse of the removal although if you didn't release the tension on the adjustment nut for the alternator, you'll have to do that to get the belt back on.
Another note here. Every procedure I've read on this says to loosen the power steering pump and clock it to get clearance to the top alternator bolt, after doing this, I don't think it is necessary, at least not in my case.

One last note here. The alternator case is aluminum with a steel sleeve pressed into the top bolt hole opening. On the part I got, that sleeve was just a hair too long to allow the alternator to fit, no matter what (this and re-tensioning the belts, is what the pry bar is for). So I took my angle grinder to it with a metal grinding disc and took a little off. If this happens to you, only do this a little at a time and test fit it. The alternator NEEDS to fit very snugly in the top bracket, if not, it could move fore and aft, throwing off the straight line orientation of the belt and causing excess wear and slipping. Or worse, cause it to break.

I'll caption the pictures because they might not be in order (I think you have to load last picture first), so be sure to read them as they will tell you what I'm trying to point out. And the second and third sets will be up a little later as I have to re-size them and eat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TyCobb2001 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1992 Trooper S, 3.2 SOHC 5spd. Cooper Discovery H/T LT265/75R16's on stock steel wheels. ProComp ES9000 series shocks. OME 929's in the rear. Environmentally friendly velocity powered climate control. CrossFit window actuators. Custom 3 bar roof rack (soon to be RTT) by Backyard Garage. Sound system by 405 Wind Turbulence.

TyCobb2001 was thanked by:
cwmoserfunina4x4Tatohead
TyCobb2001
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 28 times

Sponsor

Re: Trooper alternator replacement (with pictures)

Postby TyCobb2001 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:34 am

More pics. Sorry it took so long.

old top.jpg
bottom bolt.jpg
Optimized-wheel well.jpg
well 1.jpg
alt wires.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1992 Trooper S, 3.2 SOHC 5spd. Cooper Discovery H/T LT265/75R16's on stock steel wheels. ProComp ES9000 series shocks. OME 929's in the rear. Environmentally friendly velocity powered climate control. CrossFit window actuators. Custom 3 bar roof rack (soon to be RTT) by Backyard Garage. Sound system by 405 Wind Turbulence.

For this post the author TyCobb2001 was thanked by:
funina4x4
TyCobb2001
Trail Rider

Postby TyCobb2001 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:01 pm

Here's some more pics.

Optimized-carpet.jpg
alt plug wire.jpg
plug clean.jpg
Optimized-crud 1.jpg
Optimized-crud 3.jpg

funina4x4
TyCobb2001
Trail Rider

Postby TyCobb2001 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:21 pm

Here are some more pics

OEM crud.jpg
organize.jpg
Optimized-clean.jpg
Optimized-jack 1.jpg
jack 2.jpg
Last edited by TyCobb2001 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funina4x4
TyCobb2001
Trail Rider

Postby TyCobb2001 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:39 pm

Here are the pics of the steel sleeve that I had to grind. As I said, don't just go grinding away at this (or anything). You can always take a little more metal off, but it's a pain in the butt to add more, especially when more than one metal is involved.

sleeve before.jpg
sleeve before 1.jpg
Optimized-sleeve after.jpg

funina4x4
TyCobb2001
Trail Rider

Postby TyCobb2001 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:07 pm

Oops, forgot to post the finished product pics.

funina4x4
TyCobb2001
Trail Rider

Postby stahle » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:12 pm

Great pics, do you happen to have a wiring diagram for the alternator connector? Which wire is which? I am trying to figure out mine as previous owner messed with it. Thanks!
stahle
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby TyCobb2001 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:50 pm

No I don't know. It was just plug and play. Check salvage yards for a wrecked vehicle with the same alternator (there are 2 different ones used on the Trooper), and maybe just snip that.
TyCobb2001
Trail Rider

Postby Shawn Anthony » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:32 am

By turning the steering wheel all the way to the right you do not have to remove the tire. This allows you to simply reach over and behind the tire to access the alternator. This saves a few long time consuming steps making the entire job about 20 minutes from start to finish.

For this post the author Shawn Anthony was thanked by:
cwmoser
Shawn Anthony
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 33 times