Isuzu SUV Forum banner

1989 4ze1 hard start after rebuild

738 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  camotoe 
#1 ·
So i am a long time lurker, i dont usually post. 95% of the time i have found my answer in the old posts from this website. so i though id post this problem i have. i am stumped and im about to pull apart my wiring harness, which i really dont want to do. so i thought id throw a hail mary and ask here. any help is much appreciated.

code 14 all sensors replaced + hard start.

history-
this is my off roader its been sunk in water and beaten, i keep it cause nothing is as tough offroad as a trooper.

I pulled my engine do to a whistling noise. and massive oil leaks. i replaced all gaskets and did the valve adjustments, replaced all vacuum lines, fuel lines, rebuilt the fuel tank, timing belt etc. put it all back together. btw when it starts and warms up it runs and starts perfectly. so i know its not the timing. vacuum lines have been checked so many times, there ok. vaccum is at 26hg with a ****ty gauge. no whistling at all anywhere. code 14 keeps popping up. so i replaced the 2 wire sensor and the 1 wire sender. i know the 1 only does the gauge but i replaced it just for fun. still have the code.

i keep finding people that had a similar problem but no solution, any help or point me somewhere to look would be helpful.

thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
well the weird whistling is back when under load. still hard starting and code 14. in regards to the hard starting I changed the fuel pump, still nothing, also I never hear my fuel pump turn off. next thing im gonna do is start doing resistance checks on wiring bundle to figure out this code 14. I wonder if the whistling is a vacuum problem, btw it whistles to the beat of a drum. whistle...whistle..whistle.. whistle.. as rpm increases the beat quickens. when I let of the gas it stops whistling

#3 ·
camotoe said:
code 14 all sensors replaced + hard start

its been sunk in water and beaten, i keep it cause nothing is as tough offroad as a trooper
First, I have to admit I don't know what a "code 14" is. I don't keep a manual around. Information ALWAYS helps - what engine (I'm guessing a 2.6?)

"r ECM has been submerged, you are definitely in for tearing into the wiring. Water will wick it's way through one or more wires and then cause all kinds of havoc when it shorts from one circuit to another. Also, with older vehicles, connections can corrode to the point you no longer have a complete circuit.

The weird noise? Are you sure it isn't exhaust? I had a failed cat where the catalyst was partly blocking the exhaust and it whistled. Dennis

#4 ·
DSUZU said:
camotoe said:
code 14 all sensors replaced + hard start

its been sunk in water and beaten, i keep it cause nothing is as tough offroad as a trooper
First, I have to admit I don't know what a "code 14" is. I don't keep a manual around. Information ALWAYS helps - what engine (I'm guessing a 2.6?)

"r ECM has been submerged, you are definitely in for tearing into the wiring. Water will wick it's way through one or more wires and then cause all kinds of havoc when it shorts from one circuit to another. Also, with older vehicles, connections can corrode to the point you no longer have a complete circuit.

The weird noise? Are you sure it isn't exhaust? I had a failed cat where the catalyst was partly blocking the exhaust and it whistled. Dennis
1989 Isuzu trooper 2.6 manual,
code 14 is temp sensor that sends its info to the computer. the sensor is under the intake and a little bit of a bitch to get to. ive replaced both sensors even the one that just goes to the gauge. and I still keep getting code 14.
I recently replaced the ignition coil do to cracked plastic. its runs better but still hard starts.guess I gotta check out the wiring diagram and run 2 new wires 2 c if that clears it, if it doesn't then I know its my ecm being corroded or something, my ecm likes to go swimming from time to time.

as for the whistling, that's what I thought as well, so I pulled the entire exhaust re welded it and put new gaskets in, welded the crack on the header. ill upload a video. i'm worried its a bearing spinning. im hoping its something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.