Isuzu SUV Forum banner

1988 4 cyl trooper no-start - solved

670 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Duntov 
#1 ·
Hey there. My trusted trooper let me down this weekend on a long road trip. Cranks but no start. I figured it was a bad fuel pump as I couldn't hear it run when the motor was cranking.

But when I took the pump out and bench tested it with a battery - it spins right up.

Anything else I should be checking? I bypassed the relay in the fuse box with a jumper and checked the fuse.

#2 ·
I just realized another clue. I did the 5-tec mod a couple months ago. The car did have the same no-start issue right after I did it, then it has behaved fine since.

I just realized that now my vacuum lines over by the fuel pressure regulator do-dad are not hooked up. Can someone tell me how to route those vacuum lines now that many of them have been removed on the intake? See photos.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hopefully this is what you need. Dennis

Vacuum03 2.6 vacuum hoses.jpg

Yep, That did it. Thank MarkB for it.

Attachments

#6 ·
Duntov said:
question - can I just connect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum to any old common chamber port?
I ran my 89 2.6 that way for several years. I bought it with all of the emissions stuff removed including the FPR. I added a FPR and connected it to the nearest vacuum port. I'll try to find a pic for you.

Attachments

#7 ·
Excellent thank you! Looks straight forward.

I'd like to finish removing all those switch vacuum lines from that passenger fender. But that leaves me with no spot for the charcoal canister vacuum line. Can that also just go to common chamber vacuum?

#8 ·
OKAY - in case others have this issue thought I would post how I solved it.

The pump was totally fine. The no fuel issue was due to the connector approximately 18" down the wires from the fuel pump. Apparently, that connection is notorious for going bad, so I cut it out and made it continuous. Basically the pump was not getting power due to that loose connection. You can reach it by looking under your rear passenger tire. I also put new posts in the fuel pump housing that are removable.

I left the FPR with no vacuum. If it starts burning rich going down hills, I will connect it back up to common chamber vacuum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.