Isuzu SUV Forum banner

1989 Trooper 2.6 4ze1 itec EGR pipe information

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  JoeyTrooper 
#1 ·
I just found that my recently purchased first Trooper is missing the EGR pipe. The rest of the EGR system is in working order and intact and the exhaust seems to have a jankly old drain plug in the egr pipe hole and the intake has nothing NOT EVEN THE FITTING on the intake manifold. Just a threaded hole I can stick my finger in.

I bought some high-temp tubing and got some fittings custom made for my best guess of the threading(m22 x 1.5), but it wouldn't thread into the intake.

Does anyone know what the threading is for the hole where the fitting for the egr pipe goes into the manifold or know of somewhere I could get a new pipe AND fitting? Can't seem to find even the pipe anywhere.

#2 ·
It is the same fitting for both ends. If the EGR valve actuating (vacuum) hose is unhooked, that hole is sealed by the EGR valve. The EGR pipe is available through user JLEMOND (Jerry), or user Shawn Anthony (IIRC he gets 50.00 for them). Some users have used ones they offer from time to time. Dennis

#3 ·
When I had a '94 Amigo, I tried to use a section of "high-temperature" silicone tubing. It lasted until the engine warmed up. :(

At that time, Jerry could get them factory-new. I don't know if they're still available. $50 seems reasonable for a used one in good condition, but keep in mind--they have a limited lifespan.

Jack

#4 ·
Get a used one. There are thousands of them out there in junk troopers. Should not be too hard to find one if Jerry does not have them. Put an ad in the classifieds here and I am sure someone can help you.

Dennis, what would happen if you just plugged it up and did not use the EGR system?

#5 ·
giusedtobe said:
Dennis, what would happen if you just plugged it up and did not use the EGR system?
When the EGR tube on my Spacecab broke while driving down the interstate*, I made a temporary "fix" by unplugging the EGR valve (sealing the intake end) and welding up the exhaust end to make a plug. I ran the truck that way for a month or so until I got around to putting the replacement on. During that time, I noticed no increase or decrease in power, but I DID notice my gas mileage DROP by about 2 MPG (I monitor my gas mileage closely).
* It is my belief that the EGR tube broke (and that many others' break) because there is supposed to be a clamp mid point on the tube that attaches to a bell housing bolt. This clamp is often not put back on when either doing clutch work, or head work as the bolt is difficult to get to because of the tube. Lack of the clamp allows vibration of the tube, which causes it to crack. Dennis

EDIT: Note - on 1993 and newer 2.6 Rodeos, Amigos, and pickups, there is a different EGR tube as these have a gland nut on the intake end, and a 2 bolt flange on the exhaust end.

#9 ·
DSUZU said:
giusedtobe said:
When the EGR tube on my Spacecab broke while driving down the interstate*, I made a temporary "fix" by unplugging the EGR valve (sealing the intake end) and welding up the exhaust end to make a plug. I ran the truck that way for a month or so until I got around to putting the replacement on. During that time, I noticed no increase or decrease in power, but I DID notice my gas mileage DROP by about 2 MPG (I monitor my gas mileage closely).
* It is my belief that the EGR tube broke (and that many others' break) because there is supposed to be a clamp mid point on the tube that attaches to a bell housing bolt. This clamp is often not put back on when either doing clutch work, or head work as the bolt is difficult to get to because of the tube. Lack of the clamp allows vibration of the tube, which causes it to crack. Dennis

EDIT: Note - on 1993 and newer 2.6 Rodeos, Amigos, and pickups, there is a different EGR tube as these have a gland nut on the intake end, and a 2 bolt flange on the exhaust end.
Oh damn. I just found that clip in a pile of bolts. Looks like I am one of the ones who forgot to put it back on! I will have to try to figure out a different bracket I guess. Dang.

#10 ·
BoiseTrooper said:
Here is a pic of the back of the head and the iTec.

It shows the EGR tube.

Thanks. This helps. I ordered one recently and it looks different than this one. I'm not sure what vehicle it's for though. I was told 1989 2.6 Isuzu trooper. This is what the one I ordered looks like. Any idea which Isuzu this would have come from?

[thumbnail]https://i.imgur.com/YSXnEf5.jpg[/thumbnail]

#12 ·
JoeyTrooper said:
BoiseTrooper said:
Here is a pic of the back of the head and the iTec.

It shows the EGR tube.

Thanks. This helps. I ordered one recently and it looks different than this one. I'm not sure what vehicle it's for though. I was told 1989 2.6 Isuzu trooper. This is what the one I ordered looks like. Any idea which Isuzu this would have come from?

[thumbnail]https://i.imgur.com/YSXnEf5.jpg[/thumbnail]
Sorry. I don't recognize it. I am sure one of the more veteran forum members will be able to identify it.

#13 ·
The 2.6 and 2.3 EGR pipes (PRE 1993) have male thread gland nuts on each end. The intake (EGR) end faces up (if held in normal position) and the male end faces forward. The 1993 and later have the up facing gland nut on the EGR end and a 2 bolt flange facing forward for the exhaust manifold end. Dennis

#14 ·
DSUZU said:
The 2.6 and 2.3 EGR pipes (PRE 1993) have male thread gland nuts on each end. The intake (EGR) end faces up (if held in normal position) and the male end faces forward. The 1993 and later have the up facing gland nut on the EGR end and a 2 bolt flange facing forward for the exhaust manifold end. Dennis
Good to know. That's interesting. The one I have here has a male threaded gland nut in only the exhaust manifold side, and a female threaded nut on the EGR end. What's more is that both the EGR end and the exhaust manifold end face forward. So clearly is not from an 89 Isuzu 2.6...oh well. I guess that's $50 down the drain...I'm still curious to know what vehicle it did come from so that perhaps I can resell it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.