Every two weeks, cv joints this time.

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Every two weeks, cv joints this time.

Postby Guitarbuilder » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:16 pm

I'm starting a new thread because I felt guilty interrupting someone else thread. As the title suggest, it seems like as soon as I fix one problem, two weeks later something else pops up. after I replaced the intake gasket, the Trooper was running great.
Two weeks go by and I'm doing a transmission drain and fill and filter replacement,(5000 miles after trans rebuild.) While I'm under there, I look under the front end and see a torn cv boot. Outer left side. I had recently heard a single pop from the right cv earlier in the week. I had considered just replacing both axles and be done with it.
However, the passenger side has the original style 6 ball inner joint, and the driver side has been replaced with an aftermarket tri-pod style. It would be nice if both sides were the same.

The other option is to just replace the boot (the easiest option) after inspecting and greasing the joint, which comes to my question. Is there a best option for a replacement boot kit? Or is any auto parts store kit as good as it gets?
1998 Trooper,3.5, 4x4 automatic
Guitarbuilder
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 3 times

Sponsor

Re: Every two weeks, cv joints this time.

Postby SRN » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:06 am

In my experience replacing the boot never works out all that well. If I where you I'd pull the half shafts and just have them rebuilt. That way you're getting the exact same ones back and you KNOW they will fit and work.

For this post the author SRN was thanked by:
Guitarbuilder
SRN
Trail Master

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby DSUZU » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:33 pm

I've done boots and had them work out well, and I've done boots and the next time I looked at them they were split. If you have good, ORIGINAL shafts, I suggest you find GOOD boots and do the boots (I think it was Autozone that sold me some kind of chicken crap plastic like boots that split without ever even being used in 4x4). Do a little research, and ask questions here about who was happy with what brand. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
Guitarbuilder
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 973 times

Postby Guitarbuilder » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:11 pm

Thank you for your input SRN and DSUZU. Both of you giving more or less opposite answers. I figured there were some crappy options out there, that's kind of the reason I asked if there are any good boot kits available. I will keep searching the interweb for possible quality boot kits.

Ultimately, I would like to get a hold of an original 6 ball cup to install on the drivers side of the diff. So that both sides are the same, and in the future, I could carry a single spare half shaft that is replaceable on the trail in an emergency.

But for right now, I think I'm going to go with a boot kit to buy some time.

Hopefully someone here has had good luck with a certain brand, and willing to share information.
Guitarbuilder
Loyal P'up

Postby Guitarbuilder » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:15 pm

After listening to everyone's suggestions, and searching for the inner axle cup(soup can) and finding nothing local, Against everyone's suggestion, I decided to install a temporary quick boot kit.

I installed it this morning in about 2 hours. I just wanted to be able to drive it while I'm searching for the parts I want.
I watched a lot of video's and read a lot of reviews. If you take your time and do it right they can last several thousand miles. Or not.

While I was cleaning everything up getting ready to start, I discovered why the boot failed, and probably why the PO replaced the axle in the first place. The protective rubber hose that has the ABS speed sensor wires, was rubbing the boot at certain suspension flexes. The rubber hose was almost worn through to the wires. I adjusted the location of the hose.

We'll see how long the Dorman split boot last!
Guitarbuilder
Loyal P'up

Postby kperras » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:53 pm

In my experience the aftermarket CVs have both a wider and shallower lip that make securing replacement boots difficult. The wider lip prevents most boots from being slipped on to the cup deep enough, and the shallow lip doesn't offer enough purchase on the boot and enough of a lip for the clamps to secure against. I just rebuilt both CVs; both 6 ball style, but one was a replacement with this strange lip design and the boot naturally wanted to pull itself off the cup as the lip didn't provide enough of a hold. I would gladly search for junkyard CVs and rebuild them before buying a new AM one.

Also, the ladder style boot clamps that tighten with a set of pliers are more secure than the band style ones that tighten with the CV clamp banding tool.

This is anecdotal for sure, but that has been my experience in over a decade of wrenching on multiple Troopers.

As a side note, I would love to find new boots that feature more pleats / folds for better articulation.
2001 Trooper LS 4x4 3.5 DOHC 5 Speed Manual - 135k miles and counting
Dead - 94 Trooper LS 4x4 3.2 DOHC 5 Speed Manual - 205k miles at the end

kperras
Donor
Donor

Postby Guitarbuilder » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:48 am

Just an update, I've put over 200 miles on the temp CV boot. The boot is still doing good. Most of the driving has been city driving with about 50 miles of winding mountain roads.

I noticed the wide shallow lip on the AF CV. The boot kit that I bought has narrow hose clamps that screw on with a screwdriver or socket. They seem to be holding.
Guitarbuilder
Loyal P'up

Postby Enemigo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:13 am

I suppose someone could go as far as welding a small bead around the outside of the cup, but that seems drastic.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 30 times