Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Volt-o-meter/Battery Surging, high Idle

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Buster28 
#1 ·
Hey guys, was perusing old topics looking to find solutions for a couple issues I'm having with my 96 Trooper.

I don't know how far back I should go with the simultaneous issues but here goes.

I had a bad Power steering pump leak develop, and it was spilling Power steering fluid all over the alternator. That was when I started to notice occasionally the Voltometer erratically surging, at the same time the interior dash signals would be erratically flashing, and the idle RPM would surge. Sometime as high as 3000 (but usually in the 2000s). This usually only happened when driving after revving the engine to high rpms going up a hill fast or something. But has also happening when starting the engine.

Finally got the power steering system replaced and am driving the car again.

The voltometer does the same thing occasionally, but now the car idles high (2100rpm) all the time. weirdly enough the engine feels like it's kinda pulling the car along a little more than usual, almost like it accelerating, but not really, more so like the gear ratio is pulling the tires (also accelerating lol). And at other times it's reversed and the engine feels like it's slowing the tire rotation down more than it should.

Found an old thread that had a reply talking about the power steering demand switch that could change the engine rpms. That seemed like a good culprit for the constant high idle since replacing the PS system. But it doesn't really explain the crazy voltometer stuff.

See less See more
#2 ·
With the engine running the voltage is expected to be close to 14 Vdc. If you see the voltage spike to over 16 Vdc there is a problem with the voltage regulator. If the voltages gets too high the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) can experience an over voltage shutdown causing erratic engine and auto transmission operation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.