Rodeo 4L30E removal

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Rodeo 4L30E removal

Postby kmcmilla » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:20 am

Is there a thread (with pics) about removing the 4L30E transmission from a 2nd Gen Rodeo?

Looks like I'm going to have to remove the transmission from my '01 Rodeo Sport and bring it in for a rebuild. Only one local shop quoted me a price for the whole job and that was $3650! They wanted $1000 just to remove/replace the transmission!

I found another shop that will rebuild it for $1500, but I have to bring them the transmission and re-install it myself. I know the two upper bell housing bolts and the flywheel bolts are both problematic. Just wondering what else I need to worry about and the best sequence for getting it all out and back in.

Thanks!
'01 Rodeo Sport - 4x4 3.2 V6
kmcmilla
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 7 times

Sponsor

Re: Rodeo 4L30E removal

Postby Oro » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:32 am

I know the manual for a 99 trooper is floating around online, it details it and it won't be any different. That said,

a) I did it w/o access to that manual and you can figure it out or just google some guidelines.
b) $1,000 is not unreasonable given what a PITA it is.
c) Make very, very certain the $1,500 bid people actually know how to deal with this unique unit.

There are unique pitfalls in rebuilding these transmissions and a shockingly high number of professional rebuilds fail in a short period of time and miles.

If you are going to take it out/put it in yourself, the most critical thing to know is to not loose or then forget to re-install the locating dowels between the engine and bell housing. The input shaft seal will fail in short order without them.
1998 Acura SLX. OME 929s and front crank, KYB tubes. Retro'd Aisin manual front hubs.
Home rebuilt 4L30E doing great. Aux cooler and temp gauge. Big thanks on the rebuild to Buster28, Jerry (jlemond), CalG, and others.
Factory(US dealer) side steps and roof/ski rack (Yakima).
Oro
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 150 times