Transmission mount.

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Transmission mount.

Postby ffhill1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:58 pm

While diving in the national park yesterday I high centered my Rodeo. I was moving very slow so it basically sat down on a rock. When it did I stopped and backed up. The rock hit the transfer case. Now when I stop and take off I hear a popping coming from the crossmember. Is it possible that the transmission mount was damaged? I looked under the vehicle and can't find a scratch where it touched. It pops when you are driving up a hill. The road was very bumpy so I did not notice it until I reached the paved road. The Rodeo drives fine other than the popping. How had is the transmission mount to change? Where is the best place to get one? No local stores have them in the Little Rock area. Any help would by appreciated. Vehicle is an 01 Rodeo 4x4.
01 Rodeo LS 4x4
ffhill1
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Transmission mount.

Postby Oro » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:24 am

Usually a "pop" from that area, in the conditions you describe, means the grease has been forced out of the splines of the driveshaft; on my trooper they are right above the cross member. It is usually most noticeable when stopping or starting when the driveshaft binds the most.

Maybe it got angled and forced enough to scrape out the remaining grease? (??). I would start with re-greasing it and see what happens. There's a zerk fitting in there and you just pump it full. This is a normal maintenance item.
1998 Acura SLX. OME 929s and front crank, KYB tubes. Retro'd Aisin manual front hubs.
Home rebuilt 4L30E doing great. Aux cooler and temp gauge. Big thanks on the rebuild to Buster28, Jerry (jlemond), CalG, and others.
Factory(US dealer) side steps and roof/ski rack (Yakima).
Oro
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 136 times

Postby ffhill1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:48 pm

The mount was fine. The bolts going to the transmission were loose. I tightened them and there is no more popping.
01 Rodeo LS 4x4
ffhill1
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Oro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:31 am

Good deal, thanks for letting us know. It helps other people down the road and is welcomed!

If those loose bolts let the rear of the transmission output move up/down a little, it would bind the splined joint not far behind it, especially when starting/stopping. That would make the same sound as when it's out of grease. So when it's time to grease your splines, you now know what it sounds like. ;)
1998 Acura SLX. OME 929s and front crank, KYB tubes. Retro'd Aisin manual front hubs.
Home rebuilt 4L30E doing great. Aux cooler and temp gauge. Big thanks on the rebuild to Buster28, Jerry (jlemond), CalG, and others.
Factory(US dealer) side steps and roof/ski rack (Yakima).
Oro
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 136 times