Engine Stalled then reduced power mode

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Engine Stalled then reduced power mode

Postby naedidar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:19 am

Hi all,

I was driving along enjoying my happy little evening and suddenly my 2000 Rodeo Stopped running.

It would not start immediately but would turn over. I let it sit about a minute then got it to start but it was in "reduced Power" mode.

I got it home then checked my obd2 codes. Came up with P1299, 1125, 1295, 1515, 1125(again), 1295(again) and 1515(again) Wish I had a better scanner but mine is a cheap pos from Harbor Freight.

I put a new alternator in it about 2 weeks ago.

I am suspecting the TPS is a goner, but wanted some second opinions before I start throwing my favorite George Washington's at it.

Thanks in advance!

Nick
Don't mind the dents, they are just love bumps!
2000 Rodeo LSE 3.2V6
naedidar
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Engine Stalled then reduced power mode

Postby Buster28 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:04 am

The primary DTC is P1515 which is Command - Actual TPS Correlation Error. The other DTCs are set because of P1515. The failure is the PCM commanded throttle position is not the same as the position reported by the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). The failure may not be the TPS because no TPS DTCs are set suggesting the problem involves the throttle valve motor or the gear train that moves the throttle valve.

Start troubleshooting by removing the air inlet tube so you can observe the throttle valve. Have a helper place the ignition switch into the Run position (do not start the engine). Have the helper operate the accelerator slowly from the idle position to WOT and back several times as you observe the operation of the throttle valve. The throttle valve should smoothly follow the accelerator pedal motion. It the throttle valve sticks of jerks or does not seem to respond properly to accelerator pedal commands it would point to a problem involving the throttle body.

Be aware there are actually two Throttle Position Sensors in a single package attached to the throttle body. The outputs of these two sensors are continuously compared to ensure they are woking correctly, so an actual TPS failure should produce one or more DTCs.
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6

For this post the author Buster28 was thanked by:
naedidar
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 1216 times

Postby naedidar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:16 pm

Thanks Buster, I will try that tonight.

Any thoughts on where to get a new motor, or can it be greased maybe?
2000 Rodeo LSE 3.2V6
naedidar
Drives on Dirt

Postby naedidar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:36 pm

Buster28 wrote:The primary DTC is P1515 which is Command - Actual TPS Correlation Error. The other DTCs are set because of P1515. The failure is the PCM commanded throttle position is not the same as the position reported by the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). The failure may not be the TPS because no TPS DTCs are set suggesting the problem involves the throttle valve motor or the gear train that moves the throttle valve.

Start troubleshooting by removing the air inlet tube so you can observe the throttle valve. Have a helper place the ignition switch into the Run position (do not start the engine). Have the helper operate the accelerator slowly from the idle position to WOT and back several times as you observe the operation of the throttle valve. The throttle valve should smoothly follow the accelerator pedal motion. It the throttle valve sticks of jerks or does not seem to respond properly to accelerator pedal commands it would point to a problem involving the throttle body.

Be aware there are actually two Throttle Position Sensors in a single package attached to the throttle body. The outputs of these two sensors are continuously compared to ensure they are woking correctly, so an actual TPS failure should produce one or more DTCs.

So I checked the throttle body and it seems about as smooth moving as the actual accelerator pedal will allow. With the engine off the "butterfly" seems to be un inhibited and moved smoothly.
2000 Rodeo LSE 3.2V6
naedidar
Drives on Dirt

Postby naedidar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Checked voltage on the sensor and only one of the pins had .85V. I ordered a new tps Saturday and it should be here today.
2000 Rodeo LSE 3.2V6
naedidar
Drives on Dirt

Postby Buster28 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:42 am

I don't know what you measured but this is the expected voltage:
Click on image to expand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Postby naedidar » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm

Buster28 wrote:I don't know what you measured but this is the expected voltage:
Click on image to expand.

I would have to go do it again and write it down, but the ones that are sensor inputs were not at 5vdc except the first one. The rest were at odd voltages like .85vdc or 3.4vdc.

The electric motor inputs were both near the amount they should be.

Either way I ordered a new TPS and it should be here tomorrow.
2000 Rodeo LSE 3.2V6
naedidar
Drives on Dirt

Postby naedidar » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:03 pm

Still throws the P1125 Code after changing the TPS. Could a bad APS cause this?
2000 Rodeo LSE 3.2V6
naedidar
Drives on Dirt

Postby Buster28 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:37 am

There are actually three Accelerator Position Sensors (APS), all three are located in a single package mounted to the accelerator pedal. It is unlikely the APS is at fault because there are no APS failure DTCs being set.

I recommend you start troubleshooting by accurately measuring the voltages at the throttle body connector because in your previous post you indicated a potential electrical problem.

A new APS is expensive and difficult to get adjusted properly without a Tech II scan tool. If you decide to replace it I recommend taking some APS resistance measurements before removing the APS from the pedal assembly. This will facilitate getting the new one adjusted without a Tech II. You can also bench test the APS. Each APS is actually a potentiometer that can be tested using an ohm meter or with voltage using an external voltage source.

naedidar
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Postby naedidar » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:35 pm

So a new fun thing started happening when driving about. I replaced my TPS a few days ago and what happens now is the engine will stall if you don't keep the RPM's up when the AC compressor kicks on. I know I am due to replace it but that is odd. Can I just unhook the wire for now until the compressor is replaced? I have not had time to check the voltages yet on the TPS wiring but think that the AC compressor kicking on might be a large factor?
2000 Rodeo LSE 3.2V6
naedidar
Drives on Dirt

Postby Buster28 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:46 am

Remove the AC compressor relay to prevent the clutch from operating.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

naedidar
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Postby naedidar » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:06 pm

Buster28 wrote:Remove the AC compressor relay to prevent the clutch from operating.

GENIUS! I was going to unhook the wire on the compressor but this is much easier!!!
2000 Rodeo LSE 3.2V6
naedidar
Drives on Dirt