98 Trooper CV problem

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

98 Trooper CV problem

Postby hawkdanop » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:31 pm

I have watched maybe 10 plus videos on cv replacement but in each video and guide, the cv joint is held in to the axle with a clip and the end of the cv looks to be 6 ball berrings. When replacing my cv joint, there is no metal retaining clip and I do not have 6 bearings but what looks like 3 rollers that cannot come out by pulling the axle out as the hole they sit in is tapered and becomes too small to pull the axle out. I have some pics to show what I am talking about. Has anyone seen this type of cv before? Is it from a different truck?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hawkdanop
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: 98 Trooper CV problem

Postby Enemigo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:02 pm

It's an aftermarket CV. In order to replace the half shat like you're trying to do, you'll end up purchasing the entire axle, and discarding the inner portion each time. Any half shaft you buy will be the 6 ball factory version. When I took mine out, I remember it coming right out. Clear the grease away and look for a clip on the inside to remove.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Trail Master

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby hawkdanop » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:37 am

I am sorry I dont understand. How do I take this half shaft out? There is no clip in the section pictured below on either the passenger side or the driver side. The channels that the rollers sit in seem to be tapered so they cannot come out from pulling the shaft away from the car. These cvs also only have 3 channels for bearings instead of 6. Does that mean I am going to half to drop the entire front axle to replace the cv cup?
hawkdanop
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Enemigo » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:57 am

If you want to replace the cup, yes you will have to drop the entire axle. Not only that, but you can't just buy a cup from a store either. I ended up having to drop an axle in a junkyard to get the cup I needed. Big pain, but worth it in the end to have the proper factory stuff.

Is there no groove along the inside of the current cup with a spring, or clip inside?
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Trail Master

Postby Enemigo » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:36 am

I must be thinking of the factory cup that has the spring groove.

Looks like no groove in the aftermarket. Mine just popped right out though.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Trail Master