New Member of "changed my own starter" club!

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

New Member of "changed my own starter" club!

Postby BT Trooper » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:42 pm

I feel like a merit badge is in order for all that have successfully changed their own starter on a Trooper, maybe all isuzus.

Read threw all the threads and watched all the video's I could find and with all the various tips. I must say I was dreading the challenge.

It was time to change the starter on my 95 Tropper.

I removed the driver side front tire and the crossmember, left everything else in place and all was well after that! Turned the starter 180 degrees and brought it out the bottom next to that heat shield over the exhaust (thank you to members that posted this tip in past).

Removing the crossmember was easy, much easier in my mind then removing any of the exhaust, bleeder lines, engine mounts, engine lift....... etc....

With the cross member out of the way it was easier to access everything.

Once I got the starter unbolted only took 5 minutes to wiggle it out (maybe less) and just as easy and quick to wiggle it back in.

Whole project took me about 2 hours as it was the first attempt and it took me about an hour just to be confident in the placement of the jacket stands in my driveway.

If I had to do it again I feel I could probably do it all in about an hour.

Thank you to all that have posted here in the past. I have a new 95 Trooper I'll certainly be searching for advise on too.

BT
BT Trooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Sponsor

Re: New Member of "changed my own starter" club!

Postby namealreadyinuse » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:58 am

Thanks for that info. I also have dreaded doing this someday if the starter goes out on my 1996 4x4
Is yours a 4x4?
namealreadyinuse
Trail Scout

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: New Member of "changed my own starter" club!

Postby BT Trooper » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:45 pm

Yes, mine is a 4x4.

Was pretty easy once cross member was removed (cross member is easy to remove and replace!) Just had to be sure to rotate the starter 180 degrees and wiggle a little to get it out.

It can be done and I'm no expert.

BT
BT Trooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times