noob looking for a trooper

Say Hi here for the first time. We're all friendly :)

Moderator: Staff

noob looking for a trooper

Postby cbrianroll » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:18 pm

Greetings from Washington! Had a 88 trooper back in 2001, sold it...dumb move. Anyway,looking for a project rig. May have found one, a 89 ls by 5speef...maybe straight axle swap. Waiting on more info, supposedly needs a water pump. I'd like to swap for more power.. we'll see lol. If anyone can point me to any threads that may be helpful I'd appreciate it! Well, time to start reading...
cbrianroll
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: noob looking for a trooper

Postby Ed Mc. » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:29 am

Howdy, whereabouts in Wa? I'm over in the Bremerton area.

Since you're looking at a V6 Trooper, there's a lot of potential for increasing performance. You can install the "Stroker" crankshaft and related pistons from a 3.1 V6 and you'll reap the benefit of increased displacement and a lot more torque due to the longer stroke. Or you can take a '93-'95 Camaro/Firebird "F-Body" 3.4 and build it for performance. It'll bolt right up to the MUA5 ZuZu transmission with a few minor, relatively simple mods.

The little V6 responds very well to performance items that improve breathing, such as cams, upgraded TBI, bigger exhaust, etc. So when that time comes, we can give you a bunch of suggestions. A hot-rodded 3.4 should get you in the vicinity of 180-190hp, for example.

There isn't a ton of support in the aftermarket for the old ZuZu's, but there are a few dedicated sites that offer some Good Stuff.

Such as Independent4x.com which markets suspension kits and other goodies:

https://www.independent4x.com/Isuzu-Store_c_8.html

Some things from newer models will plug into the older Gen I Troopers, for an easy upgrade. Such as the "G80" (option code) limited-slip differential. A member just happens to have one for sale here. And you can still find 'em on later model Troopers in the wrecking yard.

Another example is the front brakes. Around '93-'98 Troopers and Rodeos make good donors for what we call the "Big Brake Upgrade". The front rotors on these are larger in diameter, and will give you a big boost in braking power. This is really important if your planning on fitting tires taller than stock. You'll also use the 2nd-gen calipers, brake hoses, and dust shields. Snag a set of brakes at the local Pick-n-Pull, etc.

Check out http://www.car-part.com for a good database of wrecking yards across the country.

One of our long-time members, Jerrry Lemond, use to work for ZuZu and if he don't know something about a ZuZu, it ain't worth knowin'! So he's a valuable resource for knowledge of All Things ZuZu, and parts too. He has a lot of parts and usually knows what works with whatever and where to find that oddball piece that no one else can.

You might want to relate to us what your plans are for the rig. I saw that the one you're looking at might have a Single-Axle Suspension, are you planning on a lot of trail work? Usually an SAS will have had a suspension lift done to it as well. So you'll have to adjust to the changes in handling that those mods will give you.

Main thing to check for on a used one is rust. Frames can rust really badly. If it's been in Wa for a long time, it should be OK. Anything that's come down from Canada will probably be rotted out. But Wa and Or vehicles reap the benefits of being in the Rust-Free-PNW!

Check Craigslist, Offerup, and Facebook Marketplace for a lot of ads. There's a pretty sad '89 2.8 Trooper for sale in the Craigslist right now, the body doesn't look too bad but it needs a lot of TLC. Might make a good project, who knows. According to the inspection report the seller displayed in the ad, the entire front end is worn out.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/ ... 34217.html

Rockauto and ebay are pretty good sources of replacement front end parts, and it's not a horrible job, just requires a lot of labor. But it would be a perfect time to do the Big Brake Upgrade, and when you're done you'll have a nice, new, tight-driving front end. It has a new clutch, I'd rather work on the front end than replace the clutch on one of these! :twisted:

At any rate, there ain't as many Gen I's coming up for sale like they used to. And they're getting pretty worn out.

So a serviceable, decent-body, rust-free Gen I is getting to be a Rare Jewel, indeed! :mrgreen:

HTH and Welcome to the Planet!............ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 405 times

Postby cbrianroll » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:50 pm

Thanks for the great info! I'm over by Aberdeen, an hour ish westish of Olympia. I figure whatever I find I'll need to rebuild or swap the motor, kids will be driving it too so gotta make it reliable. I did see that one on craigslist, I think I've read them a at least twice lol. Even looking in Oregon. The one I found was on offer up, but i somehow missed it has a missing title. May not be bad but still waiting...
Also not sure about a SAS, I would need to source some parts and I'm not sure how much flex I would really need...
cbrianroll
Drives on Pavement

Postby Shawn Anthony » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:54 am

I have multiple 89-98 troopers instock to chose from all with clean titles. some run, some don't some need work and others are total piles of sit. regardless of what your looking for i have something to suit your needs. I can fully restore one, modify for off road use or build anything you can dream up. I am located in Reno Nevada and can ship the vehicle to your door. I can also pick you up from the airport and you can drive the vehicle home.
Shawn Anthony
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby cbrianroll » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:09 pm

Thanks, this is gonna be a father and sons project...we homeschool so its credits too lol. If I get thr trooper "bug" lol get in touch..I'm sure you have some gems unlike up here...
cbrianroll
Drives on Pavement

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:59 pm

There's this white '89 V6 5-speed in Oregon City, he posted it in Auto Parts so probably won't get as many bites on it:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts ... 88635.html

"small oil leak" could be from the valve covers or distributor O-ring, both relatively simple to fix, with very cheap parts.

6 days with likely no bites, middle of winter, bad weather, probably ready to deal!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 405 times

Postby cbrianroll » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:38 am

Thanks for that find! Checking it out now! Forgot that I should look in parts....
cbrianroll
Drives on Pavement