New Member from North Carolina

Say Hi here for the first time. We're all friendly :)

Moderator: Staff

New Member from North Carolina

Postby 01Tina » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:47 pm

I've loved the Troopers since I was a kid. I ran across one a few months ago on Marketplace and purchased as a beater. Since then, I've sold my daily 1/2 ton truck and am now daily driving the Trooper (Tina).

2001 Trooper
116k miles, Automatic
Shifts beautifully, no knocks.
Consumes a little bit of oil :blackeye:

Recent mods:
-Firestone Destination A/Ts (265/75R16)
-Rancho 5000s
-off-road lights
-new muffler
-radio and speaker replacement
-sportrack

Soon:
-Manual Hubs
-Cats replacement

If I can determine why "Auto" is blinking in TOD (after performing fine with no blinks) and 4x4H isn't engaging, I'll be in great shape!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
01Tina
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: New Member from North Carolina

Postby happysailor » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:51 am

I have same issues with my 2002 trooper. I can use 4wd in low. The abs lite is on. A mechanic told me this can prevent 4 hi tod from working. Dave s
happysailor
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby 01Tina » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:45 am

Thanks, Dave. It was working a few weeks ago without issue. I was using it this past weekend on the farm and the ground was softer than expected. I believe I shifted too late into auto 4x4, and the front wheels never engaged. My ABS light has been on since I bought the vehicle. There's a good foreign mechanic here in town that has Isuzu specialization, when they're back from break, I'm going to take it by for a look.

I'd assume with switching to manual hubs, this should alleviate the 4HI issue?
01Tina
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Sh_YVR » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:16 am

The ABS will give an error code. When the light is on it means it has disabled it. A GM place can read it if they have an isuzu memory card.. otherwise you can jump the OBDII pins 4&12 (other write ups on how to do that on this site) and it will flash the code.
If its the ABS module (kelsey hayes) bad relay etc.. you want to get it rebuilt so that it keeps its original configuration (unless you know someone who can flash it - or find a replacement should be same year & not 2wd)

SO you would want to find out if its the MODULE or speed sensor. A flakey speed sensor will also stop TOD from working - when it engages it uses the speed sensor for the front axle actuator.

All considered- they are not difficult issues to resolve for someone familiar with how these work - similar on Toyotas as well.
Sh_YVR
Trail Scout

Have thanks: 6 times