Suspension update

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Suspension update

Postby rubberneck7 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:17 pm

Hey guys,
It's been a little while since I've been on here. I wondered if you guys can tell me the best place to get suspension parts for a 99 Trooper? I'm giving the truck to my kid since I put the new motor in. I noticed the last few weeks that the ride seems to be getting really soft. I looked underneath the rear and it's definitely time for some new parts. I'm about 100% sure that the shocks, trailing links, center link, sway bars etc are original. They are looking rough to say the least. I don't have a press to put new bushings in so I figured if they're available, I'll buy new ones-I just don't know who's good without being ridiculously expensive. I thought I should put the new hardware on before the new tires and alignment.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
rubberneck7
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Suspension update

Postby Enemigo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:16 pm

I bought stuff from Independent4x4.com. Seems like bushing stuff can be had from Energy Suspension.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby kperras » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:47 pm

If you want to buy complete trailing links I think Independent4x is the only place. Otherwise you're looking at a fairly intensive overhauls getting the bushings out of the links and pressing new ones in. It also gets expensive quite quickly.

The usual refresh around here is:
- new sway bar bushings (poly energy suspension)
- new shocks. Lots of options out there if you're not lifting. KYB seem to be recommended.
- new rear springs. You can go cheap and buy moog coils and cut the pigtail off to fit our Troopers. You'll have to research how many coils to cut off the set of coils you buy depending on your desired amount of lift, or no lift.

That's a good place to start.

You can also buy new Torsion bars from Dobinsons USA but these aren't cheap.
2001 Trooper LS 4x4 3.5 DOHC 5 Speed Manual - 135k miles and counting
Dead - 94 Trooper LS 4x4 3.2 DOHC 5 Speed Manual - 205k miles at the end

kperras
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby rubberneck7 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:50 am

Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate the suggestions
rubberneck7
Drives on Dirt

Postby rubberneck7 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:49 pm

Back on my 99 Trooper suspension refresh. A friend of mine is going to let me use his press to get the bushings out so instead of buying the whole links, lateral bar etc, I'll do new bushings and sway bar links and should be good to go. Another big question I have is, what size and brand springs should I get? I know nothing about springs. I don't want to lift a lot if at all. I've got most everything ordered except springs. Its all springy and soft as can be, so confidence is high that the springs are probably original too. Tires, I'm going from 245/70R16 to a 265/75R16. Will I need to lift at all for a tire difference that minor? I'm next to never off-road. Any suggestions? Critiques on my choices? I'd appreciate it
rubberneck7
Drives on Dirt

Postby Enemigo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:28 am

1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby rubberneck7 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:36 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH for those links!!! Everything I'd ever want to know about shocks and coils and then some. I really appreciate that!
rubberneck7
Drives on Dirt