Solid Axle Steering Box Options

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Solid Axle Steering Box Options

Postby Assport96 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:28 am

Hello all. Mostly finished a sas on my 96 passport. When driving the tie rod will come up and hit the pitman arm. Also the drag link will contact the tie rod near where is connects(y link steering, 1ton ends, 1in ID Dom). I think I need to get the pitman arm facing forward to fix both issues. Has anyone reversed the stock steering box? Is it even possible? I know some jeep guys use astro van boxes but I'm concerned with clearance to the motor just inside the frame. Any ideas would be great thanks guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1996 Passport 3.2L:
  • 245/75/16
  • Lokka up front, G80 lsd
  • cheap ebay hubs
  • dual battery
  • roof rack, rock sliders
  • ARB bull bar, x20 10k winch
  • OME springs in rear
Assport96
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Solid Axle Steering Box Options

Postby Ranchbanch » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:50 pm

Hi! I used a Toyota Landcruiser LJ70 1986-1989 steering box. The steering coupler fits 1 on 1, the bolts of the box allign 2 out of 4. I made a backing plate and welded it on the frame.

For the hydraulic lines: the return line fits 1 on 1, same diameter. The pressure line, the thread of the original bolt is the same, i just bended the curve sharper and it fitted like new.

The pump is the original one. So far no problems for the box
Ranchbanch
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Solid Axle Steering Box Options

Postby Jonesy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:09 pm

I used a steering box out of a 78-79 Ford Bronco. It faces forward on links....so the shop needed to protect it. It's plenty strong to move the 37's without needing any extra hydro assist.
'96 Rodeo V6/5spd 3-link SAS, HP D44, 4-link rear, coil-overs, ARB's, QuickAire 2, 37's...work in (slow)process
97 Rodeo, V6/5spd 3" SL 3" BL, - Retired
Jonesy
Trail Master

Have thanks: 20 times