Isuzu SUV Forum banner

United States

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ed Mc. 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if 2.8,3.1,3.4 shorty headers will work on 91 Pick 4wd 5 spd ? Rebuilt the 3.1 bored .30 over 10.1 with Comp cam for pulling TBI upgrade also now need headers to replace stock duels. Truck now pulls 18ft camper up 7% grade in 3rd gear.

#2 ·
I would probably change your subject line, as "united states" doesn't have anything to do with headers!

There aren't any big name production shorty headers for the 60* gm v6. As in tubular headers that fit in place of the stock manifolds and fit up to the stock down pipes. There may be some custom or small company products out there for the MG crowd but your hedman, hooker, pacesetter, etc don't make a set of shorties.

I would go with the Ed Mc recipe of replacing the Y by reworking the down pipes to go into a 2" dual in, and 2.5" single out catalytic converter, then run 2.5" cat back to a nice muffler and tail pipe. That will let it exhale as much as it will ever need.

There are production full length headers that will interfere with the starter and/or oil filter that I believe folks have made work by reworking the headers to clear or running a mini-starter and oil filter relocation kit, depending on where the interference is (it's been so long, I can't remember). Or you can drop about 1k on some custom headers.

Bang for buck, I'd go with the Ed Mc special (and I did, and I'm happy with it!)

#3 ·
Is there any shorty headers that will work on 91Pick-up 3.1 V6 I have done everything else to the engine bored of compression and Comp Cam for pulling in midrange up the throttle body to 4.3 l that's on it looking for that extra bump that headers can give does anybody know what a pair of shorties that would work

#4 ·
Off the shelf shorty's still don't exist. The 3.1, 2.8, 3.4, they share essentially the same block. So if there were any out there for 1 of them, they'd be there for all of them.

You can get some custom one-off's built, but they will be pretty expensive, and probably not worth it. I will say I felt a good seat of the pants improvement when I switched to an electric fan.

#5 ·
paulevans76 said:
I would probably change your subject line, as "united states" doesn't have anything to do with headers!
You may as well just lower your expectations. That battle was lost a long time ago. I'd be right there with you, but it's just not "the hill I want to die on".

Some posters seem to substitute "Subject" with "How I'm feeling about my Subject". But this one -- I'm lost.

So I'm gonna get "on topic" for a sec:
Yes, there are 50 of them. Isuzu no longer sells consumer vehicles in any of them.

Jack

#6 ·
You know, I may just have to jump in on this wagon. Given the current state of affairs, the next thread I start may just say "CHINA" :D Dennis

#9 ·
I checked the MG site and the special shorty headers for the MG 3.4 swap are no longer available.

Here's a detailed Gen I Trooper V6 custom header fabrication thread:

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... om+headers

He spent quite a bit to have a shop do up a custom set of headers to fit his 3.4-swapped Trooper.

You're gonna have to go the same route with your pickup, there is just nothing available "out of the box" that's gonna fit the ZuZu-GM configuration.

I did, however, find some custom "shorty" headers for a Fiero conversion from West Coast Fieros:

https://westcoastfiero.com/products/sho ... st-headers

I have absolutely no idea if you could adapt those for your pickup. The exhaust dumps are straight back, instead of angled down. Dunno if there'd be enough room in the ZuZu to bolt a downpipe to them.

Another possibility is to get together with them and maybe they can build you a set of custom shorties with angled downpipes. Since every one of these headers is being built by hand, it doesn't seem such a radical change to do that.

Anyway, that's all I got! HTH..............ed

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.