97 trooper MUA5 swap questions

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Re: 97 trooper MUA5 swap questions

Postby G-Force junky » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:35 pm

Hi there humming, I’m new to this forum and came across your thread today so I’m a little late to the party lol.
I did this swap on my 92 trooper a few years ago so I thought I would add some things that might help.
There are two brackets that bolt to the bottom of the engine and transmission that are different than the auto and much easier to replace when the transmission is out. I think the bolts for those brackets are different lengths as well.
You will need the dust shield for the manual as well.
The front exhaust is different and if you can get your hands on it I would do so.
Drive shafts are different.
You will need the clutch pedal, master and lines. the brake booster has to be unbolted and pulled out of the way and I was able to do this without removing any lines. It’s a tight spot.
As for the check engine light for the auto transmission I didn’t have that issue as mine is not OBD2 and the trans computer actually bolted to the clutch pedal box location so it get removed and there was a transmission light that I also removed
As for the cross member, I remember them being completely different and I even had to cut off the mounting brackets from both frames and weld the manual ones on my frame.
I think the starter is different as well. The one from the auto was toast so I never tried it.
If you have the front portion of the center consol it would make thing easier as well.
I had to adjust my idle as well.
Hope this helps.
G-Force junky
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Sponsor

Postby humming » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:25 am

Thanks g-force junky. I have almost everything you mention except the exhaust, which I can handle, the dust shield, which I can handle, but unfortunately I don't have the brackets, and the donor car is long gone, so I'll just have to keep my eye out for a junk yard piece and get it off there eventually.
1971 240Z project.
2005 mini cooper S daily
1997 Trooper project: https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=87699
humming
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby G-Force junky » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:05 am

Oh yeah, I forgeot the skid plates are different as well as they bolt to the cross members.
G-Force junky
Drives on Pavement

Postby G-Force junky » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:06 am

Oh yeah, I forgeot the skid plates are different as well because they bolt to the cross members.
G-Force junky
Drives on Pavement

Postby humming » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:12 pm

So the cross members are almost identical for the 97, and while I don't have the donor, the manual one will bolt to the auto brackets.

That being said, the auto brackets... They are welded 100% everywhere. I'm having a real time getting them off. I'm going to have to get new blades for my Sawzall in order to finish. Can't get in everywhere with a cutting wheel.

If I'd have known this swap was going to be this hard, I wouldnt have done it, but I'm too far to turn back now.
1971 240Z project.
2005 mini cooper S daily
humming
Loyal P'up

Postby G-Force junky » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:08 am

I vividly remember cutting that thing out and it wasn’t nice to say the least.

I wish you patience and strength lol

For this post the author G-Force junky was thanked by:
humming
G-Force junky
Drives on Pavement

Postby humming » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:35 am

As much as I wish I WASN'T still in the middle of this... I am. I have had to take several breaks from it, but I'm nearing the finish line.

For the shifter lock out cable:

Do I just zip tie that out of the way?
1971 240Z project.
2005 mini cooper S daily
humming
Loyal P'up

Postby humming » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:06 am

Also, does this whole crossmember need to move forward for the driveshaft to clear it at full droop?

Thanks
1971 240Z project.
2005 mini cooper S daily
humming
Loyal P'up

Postby humming » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:32 am

humming wrote:As much as I wish I WASN'T still in the middle of this... I am. I have had to take several breaks from it, but I'm nearing the finish line.

For the shifter lock out cable:

Do I just zip tie that out of the way?

Got an answer on Isuzu Trader that nothing special needs to be done here. Another person said he JB Welded it out of the way so it wouldn't vibrate.
1971 240Z project.
2005 mini cooper S daily
humming
Loyal P'up

Postby humming » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:33 am

humming wrote:Image

Also, does this whole crossmember need to move forward for the driveshaft to clear it at full droop?

Thanks

Also was answered about this on isuzu trader that it will indeed clear and this crossmember does not need to be relocated.
1971 240Z project.
2005 mini cooper S daily
humming
Loyal P'up

Postby humming » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:53 pm

20190920_162108.jpg

So my brand new retaining ring set up that came with the pressure plate have up the ghost immediately. While bleeding the clutch hydraulics it decided not to hold the throw out bearing any more, so on a tip from egagnon at classic city overland, I bought this ACT clutch retaining thing and it works way better, it has a much firmer engagement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 240Z project.
2005 mini cooper S daily
humming
Loyal P'up

Postby humming » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:58 am

Ok, I've been desperately searching trying to figure this out but I can't...
I'm all done with everything, but it won't start. To recap my wiring I have the transmission mode switch cut off, and I have the blue and green wires wired to the reverse switch on the trans, all other wires taped up and not connected.

When I put in the key and turn it to on, but not to the starting position, then indicator in the gage cluster shows the trans mode as "L", but I need it to show "N" to start, I assume. If I push in the clutch, the "L" turns off, and none of the indicators are highlighted.

I found another post that suggested connecting the larger yellow and red wires would allow it to start. I tried this, but the car acted like something was draining the battery very fast. When I tried to start it the starter solenoid clicked rapidly on and off, or I assume thats what it was, but it was a very loud very fast clicking, and the engine did not crank. Also the stereo would not power cycle on and generally things acted very weird, so I unconnected those.

I tried connecting the blue wire to the white wire via a vampire clip, but that did not work.

What am I missing? why won't it start? My battery has been on a tender for like a year and half while I've been doing all the work, but it reads 12V, and even with the battery on a jump box it won't start.

please, any help would be hugely appreciated, I'm desperate!
1971 240Z project.
2005 mini cooper S daily
humming
Loyal P'up

Postby mudoilngears » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:52 pm

humming wrote:Ok, I've been desperately searching trying to figure this out but I can't...
I'm all done with everything, but it won't start. To recap my wiring I have the transmission mode switch cut off, and I have the blue and green wires wired to the reverse switch on the trans, all other wires taped up and not connected.

When I put in the key and turn it to on, but not to the starting position, then indicator in the gage cluster shows the trans mode as "L", but I need it to show "N" to start, I assume. If I push in the clutch, the "L" turns off, and none of the indicators are highlighted.

I found another post that suggested connecting the larger yellow and red wires would allow it to start. I tried this, but the car acted like something was draining the battery very fast. When I tried to start it the starter solenoid clicked rapidly on and off, or I assume thats what it was, but it was a very loud very fast clicking, and the engine did not crank. Also the stereo would not power cycle on and generally things acted very weird, so I unconnected those.

I tried connecting the blue wire to the white wire via a vampire clip, but that did not work.

What am I missing? why won't it start? My battery has been on a tender for like a year and half while I've been doing all the work, but it reads 12V, and even with the battery on a jump box it won't start.

please, any help would be hugely appreciated, I'm desperate!

I know nothing about auto trans Troopers. However I would check which two wires have continuity when the range mode sensor is in neutral, and connect those two. However this may well be the wrong answer.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, Moog CC247 coils, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 188 times

Postby sno » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:46 am

Bump. Can't offer you a ton of help, but here are my thoughts:
humming wrote:I found another post that suggested connecting the larger yellow and red wires would allow it to start. I tried this, but the car acted like something was draining the battery very fast. When I tried to start it the starter solenoid clicked rapidly on and off, or I assume thats what it was, but it was a very loud very fast clicking, and the engine did not crank. Also the stereo would not power cycle on and generally things acted very weird, so I unconnected those.

This to me sounds like perhaps a faulty starter or a short/wiring issue causing low voltage at the starter. Have you gotten it to crank at all? If not, have you checked for correct voltage, inspected wiring, etc? If you have a new/reman unit I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were faulty parts. You may be able to jump the relay to force it to crank

There's some great info in this thread so thanks for detailing your process. I have a MUA5 93 donor trooper stashed away for the day when my 4L30E dies, and I imagine I will be in your situation one day (hopefully years) from now, so I appreciate you laying the groundwork for future wrenchers to do this job with less hangups.

To spend close to two years working on a manual swap, doing everything right, detailing your process, only to have it not start when it should... I wouldn't wish it on my biggest enemy!
Here's to hoping you can get her fired up and on the road by this summer
Current Vehicles:

'Tippy': 1993 Isuzu Trooper LS: 4x4/Automatic/DOHC/limited slip diff/2" lift/250,000+KM. Daily driven. Owned by my parents since new, my childhood family car. Rescued from sitting in a field summer 2019. https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 5&t=142671

'The parts rig': 1993 Isuzu Trooper: 4x4/Manual/SOHC/324,000 Km. Runs too well to actually start parting out. Manual swap donor in the event of 4l30e failure

2011 Honda Accord 3.5L V6: 6 speed manual/HFP trim kit/HFP coilovers/19" wheels/magnaflow exhaust/cat delete/short ram intake/
sno
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby humming » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:21 am

Thanks for the bump, I forgot to follow up and add what I found:

What follows is for anyone trying to do this on a 95-97 trooper, I assume it's probably good for 92-97 but I don't know for sure, but the colors are different for 98+, and maybe more than just colors are different.

Ok, so you cut your automatic trans mode switch off? Start here:
wire blue and green to reverse switch on mua5
Wire grey, white, and blue together.
Wire yellow and red together.
For the rest of them, fold them over, heat shrink them, and tuck them away.

The connector for the mode switch is under/forward of the air box in the engine bay. You can identify it by the large yellow and red wires that you also see at the mode switch. You can trim the unneeded wires back here closer to the connector, and you can short the yellow and red wires here as well.

When you install the clutch pedal, it should come with two switches. Oem connectors are already on the harness under the dash and these connectors plug right in and work.

Wired up as described above, you will find that when you put the key in it says drive until you put the clutch in, then it says neutral.

I'm finally done with my swap and it works well. The one thing is that you will want to get the ECM out of the donor or you will have check engine lights related to the transmission. In my state you can't pass emissions with a check engine light, even if it's transmission related, so that meant finding one on ebay since the donor vehicle was long gone.
1971 240Z project.
2005 mini cooper S daily
humming
Loyal P'up

Postby That96Trooper » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:15 pm

humming wrote:Thanks for the bump, I forgot to follow up and add what I found:

What follows is for anyone trying to do this on a 95-97 trooper, I assume it's probably good for 92-97 but I don't know for sure, but the colors are different for 98+, and maybe more than just colors are different.

Ok, so you cut your automatic trans mode switch off? Start here:
wire blue and green to reverse switch on mua5
Wire grey, white, and blue together.
Wire yellow and red together.
For the rest of them, fold them over, heat shrink them, and tuck them away.

The connector for the mode switch is under/forward of the air box in the engine bay. You can identify it by the large yellow and red wires that you also see at the mode switch. You can trim the unneeded wires back here closer to the connector, and you can short the yellow and red wires here as well.

When you install the clutch pedal, it should come with two switches. Oem connectors are already on the harness under the dash and these connectors plug right in and work.

Wired up as described above, you will find that when you put the key in it says drive until you put the clutch in, then it says neutral.

I'm finally done with my swap and it works well. The one thing is that you will want to get the ECM out of the donor or you will have check engine lights related to the transmission. In my state you can't pass emissions with a check engine light, even if it's transmission related, so that meant finding one on ebay since the donor vehicle was long gone.

I know this thread has been silent for over a year, but I have a few question about the wiring. You mention wiring Grey, White and Blue together, but also hook Blue into the reverse switch, do I just have a pigtail come off of the Grey, White, and Blue bundle into my reverse switch? Also, will wiring like you said keep my cruise control or would I have to add something? Thanks!
That96Trooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby humming » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:50 pm

That96Trooper wrote:
I know this thread has been silent for over a year, but I have a few question about the wiring. You mention wiring Grey, White and Blue together, but also hook Blue into the reverse switch, do I just have a pigtail come off of the Grey, White, and Blue bundle into my reverse switch? Also, will wiring like you said keep my cruise control or would I have to add something? Thanks!

I mean, however you want to do it. If I remember right I did it all with butt splices and just stuck an extra wire going out to go back to the reverse switch. Doesn't matter how, just make sure blue gets to both places.

And I don't think cruise will work unless you swap to a manual ECU. Mine didn't when I was using the auto, but when I swapped in a manual ecu drivability was WAY better and it also made the cruise work. That's how I remember it going. My cruise does work though. But I would HIGHLY recommend getting an ECU from a manual trooper of your same year. For me, it was 96 or 97, nothing else would have worked.
1971 240Z project.
2005 mini cooper S daily
humming
Loyal P'up

Postby Shawn Anthony » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:14 pm

No need to remove the transfer case with removing the transmission. You only need to remove the cross member & exhaust as they need changed to accommodate the manual transmission. If you are removing the T case to reduce weight I you are wasting your precious time and valuable energy The transmission is a F#&%ing pile of useless S#@! anyhow and has absolute zero value. place a floor jack under the tranny while you unbolt it. Once its free, get out of the way and let the tranny fall to the ground.....F%# IT ! I have performed 13 of these conversions and its simply not worth dicking around with.
Shawn Anthony
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby That96Trooper » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:45 pm

humming wrote:
That96Trooper wrote:

I mean, however you want to do it. If I remember right I did it all with butt splices and just stuck an extra wire going out to go back to the reverse switch. Doesn't matter how, just make sure blue gets to both places.

And I don't think cruise will work unless you swap to a manual ECU. Mine didn't when I was using the auto, but when I swapped in a manual ecu drivability was WAY better and it also made the cruise work. That's how I remember it going. My cruise does work though. But I would HIGHLY recommend getting an ECU from a manual trooper of your same year. For me, it was 96 or 97, nothing else would have worked.

Thanks! Exactly what I was wondering about. I do plan on putting a 96-97 MUA5 ECM, in once I have it running. Plus moneys a little tight now unfortunately. Did you wire up the shifter knock out sensor or whatever ever it’s called that’s attached to the side of shifter tunnel or no? I heard if you don’t have it then cruise won’t disengage if the shifter gets knocked outta gear. I know it’ll still work, just curious if you used it or know of a thread of someone who has? Thanks again! :D
That96Trooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby humming » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:45 pm

That96Trooper wrote:

Thanks! Exactly what I was wondering about. I do plan on putting a 96-97 MUA5 ECM, in once I have it running. Plus moneys a little tight now unfortunately. Did you wire up the shifter knock out sensor or whatever ever it’s called that’s attached to the side of shifter tunnel or no? I heard if you don’t have it then cruise won’t disengage if the shifter gets knocked outta gear. I know it’ll still work, just curious if you used it or know of a thread of someone who has? Thanks again! :D

No, didn't wire up anything like that as far as I remember, cruise still shuts off if you push the clutch in, no idea about knocking it out of gear.
1971 240Z project.
2005 mini cooper S daily
humming
Loyal P'up

Previous