IFS bushings, solid mount or not?

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

IFS bushings, solid mount or not?

Postby nznsi » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:05 am

Can't find much info on eliminating the IFS bushings on my first gen trooper. Like all the other bushings, they're 30 years old... What happens if the diff is rigid mounted?? The thing sounds hideous on washboard roads or potholes, I imagine the whole front drivetrain flopping around up there.
nznsi
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 7 times

Sponsor

Re: IFS bushings, solid mount or not?

Postby mudoilngears » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:09 am

What are you calling IFS? The diff mounts themselves have nothing to do with the suspension. I don’t think anything disatrous is going to happen it you use solid mounts, but I wouldn’t do it. Vibrations and such are not good.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, Moog CC247 coils, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby mudoilngears » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:14 am

What are you calling IFS? The diff mounts themselves have nothing to do with the suspension. I don’t think anything disatrous is going to happen it you use solid mounts, but I wouldn’t do it. Vibrations and such are not good.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, Moog CC247 coils, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby nznsi » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:19 am

Well, yes, the diff mounts specifically. Another thought was that I don't really see sources to buy new ones? I just hate the way the front end feels and kinda think eliminating rubber mounted components would tighten things up a bit. I definitely understand the vibration aspect. Will be pulling the body off the frame very soon for some much needed chassis attention and a 1uz swap, trying to map things out.
nznsi
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby Honestbroker » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:06 pm

I’m new here, but couldn’t help notice this string. Everything I’ve read regarding solid motor and transmission mounts points to two things:
1. Usually reserved for high performance use (drag racing, heavy track use, or off-road racing).
2. Mixing solid mounts on one end with rubber isolation on the other can lead to unfortunate case cracking and failure due to give and no give.
For general use it seems that many folks just say stay with the isolators. Just offering some of what I’ve read.
Honestbroker
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time