Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Backpacking/Hiking

24K views 50 replies 15 participants last post by  moffat 
#1 ·
Hello all,

It's been awhile since I've been on here. Had some issues with the truck, couple wrecks, frakenstein work but now I'm back. Anyway, I've recently gotten back into hiking/backpacking. I've hiked before, a mile or so here and there but me and my significant other have really jumped into it here lately. Got bored one day and decided to go to the local section of the AT and hike the 1.3 mile trip down to the Laurel Falls, very nice set of falls if you ever get the chance to head to East TN. Anyway ended up hiking 5 miles total, just didn't want to stop. I've always enjoyed hiking and due to my ex being difficult, could never really "hike". My fantastic girlfriend now loves it just as much as I do and we've hiked around 15 miles total this week alone, going every other day. I'm trying to work myself and her up to hiking a 23 mile streatch of the AT that goes from right above my house to the NC state line that would take at least two days, enjoying the scenary and not pushing too hard. So my question is, are there any avid hikers/backpackers on here?? I've looked through and did'nt find many posts that mentioned it. I was looking for any pointers or advice for working up to multiple day hikes if anyone has been on any. I've looked online and found "tips and tricks" to it but there's nothing that replaces experience. Any thoughts and ideas, stories or trips please feel free to share!!!

See less See more
Reactions: offroadpro
#28 ·
Bluebait,
I suspect I'm not too far from you...I'm in LenoirCity/Knoxville TN. I run an adventure guide service and we are predominately in Cherokee National Forest and Big South Fork in East TN. If you need specific info on any of those trails/campsites, I know them well. Additionally, I order my favorite camping hammocks by the thousandshammock and gear sales. and sell them here. If you've never camped in a hammock, it's worth trying. Not for everyone, but I love the ease of setup, being off the ground, not having to have a level site, etc. At the end of each season I sell used gear/hammocks as well. If you need anything, I likely have it at good prices. If ordering new from site, let me know I'll be sure to get a discount code up for planet members.

#29 ·
Sags, if you move back to Utah, put together an official "PlanetIsuzoo Wilderness Trip" for 2015. I'll come! :D

I try to backpack 5 nights per Summer. I'm a middle-aged chubby guy so nothing too extreme, maybe 10 mile round trips with moderate elevation gain. I truly enjoy it.

I use a 90 liter internal frame pack. Yes, that's super jumbo size. That's because I carry several obbball items:

1. larger fluffy 20 degree sleeping bag (personal preference)
2. Larger inflatable matress (again, preference)
3. Full size frying pan
4. Our family tradition is bacon and eggs. Not freeze-dried, but a dozen eggs and pound of bacon
5. Stuff from my kid's packs as they start to complain on the trail :D

#30 ·
wrs said:
Perhaps this isn't the right spot, but I was given an external frame backpack that I know nothing about.

My questions are; does anyone recognize the logo? And is it easy to find a replacement pack without having to buy the frame again? Not really a fan of the color scheme this one has going on but I do like the frame.

Thanks in advance.

Btw Google and eBay have so far turned up zilch when I search for the answers.
That cracks me up. I have an ancient sleeping bag that matches. I'll have to take a pic. The design on that pack is the old "Ecology" logo from back in the day. Think original symbol for being "Green". 60's+70's stuff. The pack and frame look a lot like an old Camp trails design. Back then Camp trails was similar to say Eureka tents today. Nice quality at mass prices. I still have an old camp trail pack and frame. With a sewn on by me Ecology flag patch. Damn I'm dating myself.

I have this worn out, light weight, never really was a good one, but warm as toast, dept store sleeping bag. I think I was in 6th grade or so when I got it. It has been on thousands of trips since then. I'm mid 50's now. it still get the job done for warm weather use and takes up little room as the insulation was squashed years ago. it is a match for that pack. Green on the back and green white stripped top with a sewn on Ecology flag like the pack. Silly looking but I still use it. It's an early nylon bag that the zipper constantly catches on the thin nylon lining. Lot's of small holes because of that. I've tried to replace the silly thing several times but haen't found anything that fill the same bill without costing a bunch so I still have it.

#32 ·
mguldan said:
Bluebait,
I suspect I'm not too far from you...I'm in LenoirCity/Knoxville TN. I run an adventure guide service and we are predominately in Cherokee National Forest and Big South Fork in East TN. If you need specific info on any of those trails/campsites, I know them well. Additionally, I order my favorite camping hammocks by the thousandshammock and gear sales. and sell them here. If you've never camped in a hammock, it's worth trying. Not for everyone, but I love the ease of setup, being off the ground, not having to have a level site, etc. At the end of each season I sell used gear/hammocks as well. If you need anything, I likely have it at good prices. If ordering new from site, let me know I'll be sure to get a discount code up for planet members.
Sorry, been busy and haven't been on here. Still working towards my gear. Rodeo's been giving me issues and having to move has put a halt on my hiking at the moment, man do I miss it. You're not too far from me, go to Knoxville all the time, got it down to right at an hour and a half to get to Maryville :twisted: . I don't know where Big Fork is but Cherokee is all around here. I've moved closer to work so the trails I'm used to aren't right up the road anymore. Gonna try to con family into getting me stuff for Christmas that I need :D :D . What all do you do as far as the guide service goes?? Haven't really thought about hammocks, seems like it would save on space and weight, not to mention a little cheaper. I'm going to try to go again at least on a longer hike before winter really gets here.

mckenziedg has hit me up. He's here local too so may be able to set up a get together for maybe a run and some hiking here soon.

#33 ·
Here are some pics from my trip to Dennis Cove Hampton, TN

the view driving back down

#34 ·
Nice pics, there's quite a bit up there to venture about. **** Den falls trail and the actual Pond Mountain trail provide very good pic ops hey are waaaay waaaay up there.

#35 ·
If it doesn't SNOW this weekend I might go to **** Den Falls.

#36 ·
Hello all, been a little bit. Hope everyone is well. Wanted tocheck back in a see if any more have chimed in on the thread. Wanted to give an update, finally getting to get a pack, however I am ordering it online from High Sierra

http://shop.highsierra.com/dp/B004EBLBA ... aQodjZcAHA

Hopefully I won't have any fitting issues and seems large enough to prepare for what my goal is. I've added a few more odds and ends to my gear, some more first aid supplies, water treatment tablets( emergency only) going to order a LifeStraw here soon, emergency matches, things of that nature. Only lacking my stove, hammock or tent, sleeping bag and a few more odds and ends. Going to venture somewhere new this weekend but haven't decided where just yet but heading up tp the Blue Hole down here this Saturday. If I can get it to work I will post up some pics of the falls, there's fours sets of falls and may do a little wheeling when we're done :D :D

I know mguldan was talking about hammocks vs tents. Any thoughts/ideas on these? I hate sleeping in tents and on a flat surface in general so I'm leaning more towards the hammock idea. Only downfall I see is being exposed to the elements just a little :shock:

#37 ·
For years I backpacked without a tent normally. Maybe use the bivy bag from time to time.

I'm personally not comfortable in a hammock for long. So I'll throw this out there. Check out my Tent-Cot in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=51841 Backpacking you wouldn't be carrying the cot. But the tent is self contained with a floor. It's separate from the cot and zips on. The cot weighs a bit but the tent itself is very light and compact for something that's not made of screen only. This gives you a dual purpose unit. The full Tent-Cot for wheeling trips. use just the tent for backpacking. Use just the cot for when the kids have friends overnight at the house. Just a thought.

Also this time of year REI usually has a big sale and blows out some backpacking tents.

#38 ·
I like that set up, pretty neat and keeps you off the ground. Still liking the idea behind the hammocks though. I like the idea of being off the ground but I've never actually slept in a hammock, a real one, not the rope type try to kill you ones.

Had another question, more of a curiosity but what do you guys carry in your packs as far as day hikes?
Heres my list:
Day Pack (Old Swiss Backpack)
First Aid Kit
Snake Bite/Sting Kit
Cliff Bars
Juggernaut
Gatorade Packets
Emergency Water Treatment Tablets
Several Pieces of Paracord (Bracelets)
Two Flashlights and a Headlamp
Emergency Blanket (Not The Reflective Aluminum Type)
Several Carabiners
Hatchet
Two Water Bottles With Charcoal Filters
Two Extra Full Bottles (Short Hikes, Getting Camel-Bak Soon)
Ponchos
Large Hefty Trash Bag
Baggies
Multi-Tool
Pocket Knife
Extra Socks
Piece of Rope (Need to get Large Section of Rope)
Waterproof Matches
Machete
Whistle/Compass
GPS (Phone)
Hand Sanitizer
Tissue/Baby Wipes
Moleskin
Bug Spray
Sunscreen

Probably forgetting something. Seems like a lot but I'm also carrying for two for know and most of it is small stuff. I'm ordering a larger pack so i will be able to distribute the weight a little better. It's nopt bad to carry. The packs only bothered me onece and that was after a 12 mile hike where we got lost.

#39 ·
I'd ditch the hatchet or the machete. Maybe both. Those seem like heavy, seldom used items that I wouldn't want to drag around. I would maybe look at a pack saw if I thought I'd need to cut wood. I have something similar to the Sven Saw that packs up small, but has a good blade. The machete could be justified if you're bushwhacking or know that you are going somewhere, like the jungle, that you'd be cutting brush constantly and there was no way around.

I would add a small baofeng radio that is tuned to local emergency frequencies and a map. And no duct tape?!?! Wrap a couple yards around a water bottle one day. You won't notice its there, but it'll be there if you need it! Or pull the cardboard out of a half roll and squash it flat. The obvious, best thing to do, is to tell someone where you are going and when you'll be back. If you do that in conjunction with a radio frequency on the baofeng, then you'll have zero issues being found if you get lost.

I've never felt good after trying to sleep in a hammock. I've always felt folded up and my back hurts. there is something about everything sliding towards the center at the low point that makes me uncomfortable. I have a 3/4 thermorest and a little bivy sack that I used to use a lot. I feel like I used to see the hammocks that had a rain fly over top or you could simply run a string above the hammock and throw a tarp or sheet of plastic over it and stake it down. Just some thoughts.

#40 ·
I have the hatchet as more as a multifuntion tool, i.e. chop wood in needed situation, shovel, hammer, and honestly its not that heavy, the handle is pvc so its cuts some weight. Here recently I've ventured to much less traveled trails seeking waterfalls and such and its come in handy, mind you these are only 3-6 mile treks to falls and such.

This guys blog has sold me on the hammock game, and this section in particular. http://www.treklightgear.com/treklife/hammock-angle/
Check out his entire blog on hammocks and the history behind them, choosing one, sleeping and using them.

Wth is a boafeng radio?? Never heard of such a thing. I thought about the saw, haven't gotten around to getting one since i have the hatchet. Honestly, duct tape never crossed my mind but I see how important it can be when needed. I thought the same on the hammock rain fly. Thought if I went that route would definately get the mosquito net but pass on the rain fly and get a much cheaper, probabaly just as good tarp.

#41 ·
Interesting read on the hammock. I have a lightweight nylon one that I'll have to dig out and try a more drastic angle. Maybe it'll be better!

The baofeng radio is a UV-5R model walkie talkie type radio that is essentially like an open source radio. It is built in China an is open on most common frequencies (136-174mhz and 400-480mhz). This means that, like a scanner, you can program all of the local rescue frequencies (all public knowledge since everyone has to register with the FCC). The major difference is that this radio allows the ability to transmit on ALL of those frequencies, but you can't legally talk on those frequencies. There is one simple solution though and that is that everything goes out the window in an emergency and you are allowed to use whatever frequency will best get you help in an emergency situation. My take: talk straight to the emergency folks! The radios run about $30 on amazon and you will need the sync cord and a free copy of Chirp, the software that lets you enter all of the frequencies in a spreadsheet and upload them to the radio. Its cheap and fun, but the open source aspect can cause some head scratching at times. There is a lot of info on them. The best part is that you can use them on the frequencies that most other commercially available walkie talkies use.

#43 ·
Well thanks for the link to the hammock gear, but EVERYTHING on the site is SOLD OUT :| . Anyway, looking into these packs again and rethinking my orginal choice, the High Sierra 55 liter. How do you really size what amoutn of space you're going to need? For now the longest hike I would be taking would be two-three days/nights tops. My list I have above all fits in an old Swiss school backpack. I was looking at the 35 liter and wondering if that would be plenty and if the 55-60 would be overkill

#44 ·
I always erred on the larger size because you can cinch it up and you only have the weight of the pack material. If you get too small, you end up lashing things on, which got hung up on things. The nice thing about a larger pack is if you are with other folks (your girl, or friends that act like girls at times), you can shut them up by taking stuff out of their pack and hauling it for them.

As for woot, its a daily sale site. If you don't get it on the day it's listed, you probably won't get it!

#45 ·
My brothers and I have hiked the 70 mile or so stretch through the GSMNP 3 times. We normally take a week to do it so it doesn't turn into a ruck march. I prefer starting on the north side and heading south. It seems it takes forever to get from Fontana to the top of Thunderhead!
If you guys want some solitude, I highly recommend the North Carolina side (cataloochee area).
A great short hike is the chimney tops trail. 4 miles round trip. This trail is best done in the off season because of its popularity.
Winter hiking in the Smokies is phenomenal!
Have fun! I'm jealous, I wish I lived closer!

#46 ·
Believe me, it's on my to-do list. So far my longest hike is 12 miles and, as posted, it was an accident/getting lost and almost all uphill. Went this weekend to Linville Falls in NC. Haven't been since I was in diapers. The overlooks are pretty neat but not much of a hike. The trail down to the gorge, on the other hand, is a little rogher but very worth the views of the sheer cliffs and being right there at the falls. Heading back and going to try to do Table Rock, Hawks Bill and Sitting Bear mountains across Jonas Ridge hopefully here soon. I wanted to go winter hiking but couldn't find anyone to go with me.

#47 ·
bluebait said:
Believe me, it's on my to-do list. So far my longest hike is 12 miles and, as posted, it was an accident/getting lost and almost all uphill. Went this weekend to Linville Falls in NC. Haven't been since I was in diapers. The overlooks are pretty neat but not much of a hike. The trail down to the gorge, on the other hand, is a little rogher but very worth the views of the sheer cliffs and being right there at the falls. Heading back and going to try to do Table Rock, Hawks Bill and Sitting Bear mountains across Jonas Ridge hopefully here soon. I wanted to go winter hiking but couldn't find anyone to go with me.
Give me a shout whenever you go I'd be happy to tag along with you.

#48 ·
Don't know if this will help but a lot of small cottage places that make nice packs and I use a quilt instead of a sleeping bag.
Sawyer mini is a light and effective water filter along with aquamira drops as a back up have always worked well for me.

You be surprised how far you can hike if you get your base weight down. My pack loaded full tent with 4 days of food water and bear canister total around 25lbs. I usually take the two dogs and do about 10-12 miles a day. We then make camp and either spend a day there exploring or pack up hike some more miles

Here is a few good sites on backpacking some are really into the long distance light weight but good places to learn about lighting up your pack but still being safe. Anything to lighten up really helps on the wear and tear of your body.

Also a few of the site have a used gear forum so you can get some good used gear for reasonable prices.

http://sectionhiker.com/

http://sticksblog.com/

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... index.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forum.php

Decent places to get gear on sale

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

http://www.campsaver.com/

http://www.steepandcheap.com/

Cottage places that make light weight hiking gear

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

http://gossamergear.com/

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

#49 ·
I think its fun that an isuzu forum has chit chat about hiking/camping too.

I really enjoy hiking. Iv'e hiked all 2,653 miles of the pacific crest trail, as well as 700 miles of the pacific northwest trail. Get out there.

#50 ·
I've been hiking/ back country camping since I was 15 or so. Hiked mostly in pisgah and shining rock wilderness in western NC. I've done some stints on at AT but nothing serious. I want to hike the entire mountain to sea trail in NC and I'd like to do the entire palmetto trail here in SC. Haven't been packing in a few years not but a friend of mine at work wants to hike the Art Lowb trail and wants me to come along since I've done it numerous times. Need to get some new hiking shoes.

#51 ·
I am planning on a hiking trip soon to Mt. Kenya the weather is quite cold over here, I haven't hiked in a mountain to be honest. But i have hiked through hills and plateaus, they are not that stiff neither do they have any very low temperatures. I took a trip to Africa to explore nature in this adventurers continent. The weather here is quite warm and people are kind. Back to my hiking mission, for my hike list am going to pack an effective water filter, none beats sawyer water filter, though i think once the new Msr guardian water purifier will do once it released on Jan 2016 as indicted on this site http://survivingoutdoor.com/water-filte ... er-review/ forgive me am no internet guru i don't know how to attach urls perfectly. back to my list a tent will do, a compass, my hiking boots, flashlight, a knife you never know what awaits you, cookware and generally anything else you cant survive without in the mountain like heavy attire because of cold. am looking forward to this adventure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.