Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Zoos and Canoes pic thread!

40K views 64 replies 20 participants last post by  Getsducks 
#1 ·
Taking a cue from another thread here I decided to start a picture thread. Post your Zoo and Canoe. I suppose Yaks would be OK too but let's keep the motorized boats for another thread.

My Solo canoe (Old Town Disco 119) on Red Beans.

My tandem (Old Town Disco 174).

My solo and a bud's Native Ultimate.

Solo and Perception swifty yak.

Enough of my pics lets see yours!

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome!!! I will have to get a few photos dug up to add.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

#3 ·
I have lots of photos take FROM my canoe. But none OF my canoe. Sorry.

Anyway, use your imagination. It's an Old Town Guide 147 with a giant fiberglass patch on one side as well as both gunwales in the middle (it's been wrapped around a several rocks by boy scouts) and the Old Town Kevlar keel guards on both ends.

And I've painted it flat black with green striping, I think that that has enhanced it's stealth properties. 8)

My dream canoe is this:

in Kevlar of course. Anyone have a few grand to give me :D

I always paddle solo and backwards (in the front seat facing the wrong way so I'm more centered) anyway. A 14' solo boat is just what I need. I like the Old Town Pack solo for a cheaper option, but it's only 12' and I wish it came in polylurethane and not Royalex. I've seen to many Royalex boats crack and/or break in half on rocks to ever get one.

#5 ·
Sags said:
I have lots of photos take FROM my canoe. But none OF my canoe. Sorry.

Anyway, use your imagination. It's an Old Town Guide 147 with a giant fiberglass patch on one side as well as both gunwales in the middle (it's been wrapped around a several rocks by boy scouts) and the Old Town Kevlar keel guards on both ends.

And I've painted it flat black with green striping, I think that that has enhanced it's stealth properties. 8)

My dream canoe is this:

in Kevlar of course. Anyone have a few grand to give me :D

I always paddle solo and backwards (in the front seat facing the wrong way so I'm more centered) anyway. A 14' solo boat is just what I need. I like the Old Town Pack solo for a cheaper option, but it's only 12' and I wish it came in polylurethane and not Royalex. I've seen to many Royalex boats crack and/or break in half on rocks to ever get one.
My solo above is the Old Town Disco 119. 11'9" it's pretty much a Pack in crosslink 3 poly. 45lbs (10 lbs heavier trhan a pack) and tough as nails. Not as fast as a longer solo but a good all around boat. The rocky rivers I fish are not friendly to kevlar or composite boats. These are also availible as The Kaynoe sold by dicks sporting goods. Bargain basement price on those.

#6 ·
Not something I will ever do in the VX again.

The straps left marks on my hood and they sorta came undone while driving so I had to stop and tighten them up every few minutes....pretty annoying.

I have a plan for a canoe holder for my Trooper that I will build soon.

Bart

#7 ·
nfpgasmask said:
Not something I will ever do in the VX again.

The straps left marks on my hood and they sorta came undone while driving so I had to stop and tighten them up every few minutes....pretty annoying.

I have a plan for a canoe holder for my Trooper that I will build soon.

Bart
Get some egg shell foam, wrap with a fine cloth and shim between the straps and hood. Thats what I do.

PS.. it looks rad.

cheers

#8 ·

Before my troop got painted

#12 ·
Here's a few pictures from the last few years.

#13 ·
I know that Coleman's don't get much love here, but you can take my Scanoe when you can pry it from my cold dead fingers! :mrgreen:

Sorry this is so dark. Succor Creek Reservoir, along the Idaho / Oregon border in the Owyhee mountains. It was 6 miles of rough 4x4 terrain to get there, and everything stayed mostly in place. Will find a way to avoid the foam pads in the future.

#14 ·
I am actually thinking of a roof rack attachment that I can make simply, that will have clamps that hold the canoe in place. No straps, no foam pads, etc. Or, you could make it so it actually bolts to the roof rack attachment. Drill 4 holes in the upper sides of the canoe, use rubber grommets and put some bolts with wingnuts through to hold the canoe. Then use some sort of simple rubber plugs to seal the holes when on the water. Those are my ideas. Of course, I have a $300 canoe that I don't care about drilling holes through. :)

Bart

#15 ·
When I get ,me roof rack made (next year :roll: ) I plan on having bent pipe to fit the contour's of the canoe and hug it to the rack, and at the end of this pipe a C bracket that slips over the top rail of the rack with two holes to allow a cotter pin to fasten it to the rack. Just a product of brainstorming. Fell free to use this idea and better it if you you feel it needs it.

I have all kinds of ideas.

cheers

#16 ·
Nice pics all. Even the scanoe :lol: Any boat that gets you on the water is a great boat!

I think both Yakima and Thule used to make a canoe carrier that had little blocks that bolted to their racks to keep the boat from sliding sideways. There was then a J hook kind of a deal that grabbed the gunnels from the inside and tightened down with a knob. No need to drill holes. No idea if they are still available.

I must say though it's awful hard to beat a set of gutter mount racks and a couple of ratchet straps. I've done some pretty rough trails lately and over the years with my boats on the roof this way. Sometimes several boats at a time. Never had one even think about coming loose! I don't use the straps with hooks on them. I use the kind that is just a ratchet and a strap. Wrap the ratchet end around the bar a couple of times and throw the strap over the boat. Pass that under the bar and throw it back over. Grab it and tighten down. Takes about 5 minutes and I'm ready to go. The straps used like that put a double strap over each spot on the boat and also keep it from moving side to side. For yaks I just use the foam block carriers that snap over the rack bars and do it the same way. I normally just stand in the door or on the rear tire to lash them down.

#17 ·
squatch said:
Nice pics all. Even the scanoe :lol: Any boat that gets you on the water is a great boat!

I think both Yakima and Thule used to make a canoe carrier that had little blocks that bolted to their racks to keep the boat from sliding sideways. There was then a J hook kind of a deal that grabbed the gunnels from the inside and tightened down with a knob. No need to drill holes. No idea if they are still available.

I must say though it's awful hard to beat a set of gutter mount racks and a couple of ratchet straps. I've done some pretty rough trails lately and over the years with my boats on the roof this way. Sometimes several boats at a time. Never had one even think about coming loose! I don't use the straps with hooks on them. I use the kind that is just a ratchet and a strap. Wrap the ratchet end around the bar a couple of times and throw the strap over the boat. Pass that under the bar and throw it back over. Grab it and tighten down. Takes about 5 minutes and I'm ready to go. The straps used like that put a double strap over each spot on the boat and also keep it from moving side to side. For yaks I just use the foam block carriers that snap over the rack bars and do it the same way. I normally just stand in the door or on the rear tire to lash them down.
I would be more worried about security, someone getting a wild hair and snatching the canoe from the truck which happened to a friend of mine a few years ago.

#18 ·
#19 ·
When in doubt I use a heavy cable and lock or 2 to lock the boat to my crossbars. The bars are locked to the truck. I carried some very expensive bikes on my roof almost daily for many years still do occasionally. Cable locks work pretty well for the casual thief.

Van Homan i just looked at your links. Pretty interesting. Probably hold up better to UV that regular cheap nylon straps as well. Do you use these?
I don't leave my canoes or bikes unattended on the roof for long. That's the best security. Lock them and watch them.

#20 ·
squatch said:
Do you use these?
I don't leave my canoes or bikes unattended on the roof for long. That's the best security. Lock them and watch them.
Squatch,
I don't use any type of lock at all. Like you, I don't leave them unattended. I'm either in or near the truck while they are on the roof.

#21 ·
Van_Homan said:
imamonstertruck said:
I would be more worried about security, someone getting a wild hair and snatching the canoe from the truck which happened to a friend of mine a few years ago.
You might want to check out these if security is a concern

http://www.steelcore.net/

http://www.steelcore.net/video/howtough.mov
Now that is pretty rad and may look into them. The only time I leave the canoe unattended is when we are sleeping at the campground.

cheers

#26 ·
Very nice. I have used pipe wrap before to carry skis in my racks.

Cellardoor, Your truck is hereafter known as the Bismark! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.