Mountain Bikes - opinions

This forum is for the discussion of outdoor activities, other than trail rides

Moderator: Staff

Mountain Bikes - opinions

Postby One_Big_Game » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:57 pm

Hello,

I am purchasing a used mountain bike soon since mine was stolen a few years back and I've been itching to get back at it. I'm looking at bikes in the $250-400 range, and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm seeing some ~10 year old full suspension 26" bikes with nice components (fox or nice Rockshock's, disc brakes) or ~5 year old 29ers with decent components (suntour or rockshock forks, hard tail) in my price ranger in Denver. Looking to do mostly trail/XC riding with some downhill thrown in. Any suggestions? 5-10" and 165 lbs rider. Not looking for a forever bike, more of something to keep for a few years and decide if I want to invest more in to it vs dirtbiking.

Thanks!
2000 Trooper 155k 5-Spd G80 Maxxis Bighorns 255/85r16
2" OME lift with T-bar crank, Superwinch Manual Hubs
F-150 HD tie rods, BJ flip, Indy4x swaybar bushings F/R, Tint
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDXAdH ... vrm4OBMcRQ
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/One_Big_Game
One_Big_Game
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 3 times

Sponsor

Re: Mountain Bikes - opinions

Postby Such a Trooper » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:46 am

Hello,

I used to work at bike store in SW Michigan, and did a bit of mountain biking. For where I was full suspension was always overkill, for Colorado it would probably be better than a hard tail 29er. I'm 5'9" and ride a 27.5 hard tail, the 29ers always felt sluggish and out of control in technical sections, but they can be super fast on the XC stuff. If you're buying used you won't get a warranty on components, but most decent hard tails have lifetime warranties on the frame, full suspensions might have 3-5 year warranties. I've never been to CO but from what I've heard full suspension would seem to be the way to go. If you're looking for disc brakes I would suggest sticking with hydraulic, 5-10 years ago mechanical disc brakes were not nearly as good as some are now. If I had to choose between old mechanical discs and V-brakes of similar year I'd take the V-brakes every time. I guess it all boils down to finding a bike that will suit 80% of terrain you plan to ride it on.

Hope this helps!
Such a Trooper
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby One_Big_Game » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks for the reply! I ended up grabbing a 2009 Fuji full suspension for $300.
One_Big_Game
Trail Rider

's a

Postby Skeletor » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:01 pm

One_Big_Game wrote:Thanks for the reply! I ended up grabbing a 2009 Fuji full suspension for $300.

that's a decent ride...hope you have many hours of riding pleasure..

one of the coolest old school mt bikes, that I got my hands on, was the 1985 Mongoose ATB.
heck, they were called all terrain bicycles......few yrs later, they were called ' mountain bikes '

anyhow, the mongoose's of that era, were true MONGOOSES....built by Mongoose....and not someone like Pacific cycle...

the frames were total chrome...and the bike had a heavy BMX flavour....and are widely sought after...

I own two of them...and one of them, I converted to a single fixed gear road bike...and it rocks...
1990 Trooper V6 (sold) 1991 Trooper LS V6, (sold) 1990 Trooper V6, 2006 Pontiac Solstice,(sold) 1966 MG Midget, 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
Skeletor
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby One_Big_Game » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:30 am

Sounds like a sick ride! I added a fox float rear to my bike and that’s it. I’ve only been out a few times with it and looking forward to this summer.
One_Big_Game
Trail Rider

Postby Skeletor » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:46 pm

One_Big_Game wrote:Sounds like a sick ride! I added a fox float rear to my bike and that’s it. I’ve only been out a few times with it and looking forward to this summer.

a few yrs ago, I bought my friend's 1997 Ritchey P20 mt. bike, and upgraded the Rock Shox front suspension fork...with a rock shox AIR...

IT's a sweet ride...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 Trooper V6 (sold) 1991 Trooper LS V6, (sold) 1990 Trooper V6, 2006 Pontiac Solstice,(sold) 1966 MG Midget, 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
Skeletor
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby still_c » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:29 am

Skeletor wrote:a few yrs ago, I bought my friend's 1997 Ritchey P20 mt. bike, and upgraded the Rock Shox front suspension fork...with a rock shox AIR...

IT's a sweet ride...

Cool bike!

I bought Kona Lava Dome several years ago, feels like a nice ride.
still_c
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time