Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Cancooker

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  PPCLI-JIM 
#1 ·
Has anyone here got any experience with the can cooker?
http://www.cancooker.com/

Seems like a very useful item. I think I might like to try using this on the grate over my Gas campfire.

#2 ·
Don't have any experience with it but considering how much propane the gas camp fires use might not be worth it for slow cooking. We used to go through so much in a weekend of camping while dredging for gold. Easily burn through 40lbs in 3 days..But of course this is using the camp fire at night on moderate to high.

#3 ·
Is that a steam cooker of some sort? I've heard they cook faster than an oven or crock pot but never messed with one.

mmm... imagining an open faced roast beef sammich under the stars. Made from a wonderful pepperocini roast, swiss and pepperjack cheese... on sourdough bread toasted over a campfire.

I hate camping. But I'd camp for one of those.

#4 ·
I gather they are a cross between a crock pot and a pressure cooker/steamer. They cook with steam but little pressure. There is a hole in the lid that vents steam and pressure. So not high pressure. Supposedly will cook most anything in under an hour.

Marcus that's just one way to put heat to it. I would only use the gas fire if that was being used already.

I just ordered one in the companion size with grate.

#5 ·
Mark,

Have you tried to make any meals yet? I took the plunge too. Mine should be arriving shortly. I like the ideal of one pot one meal. You could store and transport your food in it as well. Anyway, let me know how it works out for you.

#7 ·
Made a pot of beef stew with it last night and was shocked when the meat and vegetables all cooked perfectly! Who woulda thought! Put everything in at once and cooked it for approximately 45 minutes and it all cooked perfectly. This thing is gonna be great not only for camping but for the kitchen too!

Reactions: SAS
#9 ·
Finally tried the Can Cooker last night. Made steaks on the grill and cooked potatoes and carrots in the Can Cooker. They turned out great in about 30 minutes.

Reactions: SAS
#10 ·
Thats cool .... :D :D
I have an instant pot that is electric and uses the same principles...
I use the heck out of it great for mac and cheese and spaghetti all in one pot . i even bake cheescakes in it...
wish they made a stainless steel model not a huge fan of aluminum and nonstick coating pans.
Let us know how it holds up Squath .
Plus you could look up instant pot recipes i sure they would work just maybe have to adjust the cooking times.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
We used the Can Cooker again last evening.

Sprayed with Pam.

Added cut up potatoes, Carrots then covered with Italian seasoning.
006 (Small).JPG

Then added a layer of fresh green and yellow beans, butter,Salt, pepper and garlic.
007 (Small).JPG

Cooked Ham slice on top.
008 (Small).JPG

About a quart of water.

Close and put on the heat. Once boiling and steaming turn down to just light boil and steam.

45 minutes later awesome dinner!

Attachments

#13 ·
Thinking of getting one just have to see how much shipping is up to CANADALAND

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.