Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Expo and camping tools and toys.

102K views 182 replies 36 participants last post by  eebamak20 
#1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread where we can show off and discuss our favorite camping and traveling items. Fun stuff that makes the great outdoors better, safer, or more convenient for us. Last year or 2 I've been getting back into camping more. Especially the vehicle based type. So I've been adding to and refining my gear a bit to better suit the way I'm using it these days. I've got some cool stuff to show (at least I think so) and hope you folks do too. A little arm chair camping for when we can't be out there.

I'll start with today's SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As with everything else I have a story to go with it. My wife has a Honda CRV. The storage area under the back instead of being covered by a piece of Masonite like many small cars has a nice little card/picnic/tailgating table. I been wanting a couple of these for camping tables. Nice and strong and a good size. Besides I like salvage stuff instead of spending $60 bucks on a new fancy roll up table.

So anyway I've been calling junkyards and hadn't found one yet. I was on my way to the land fill to dump some waste oil and junk today. On the way I passed a local junk yard I hadn't called and pulled in. I asked about a CRV and he said they had one just up the hill go check it out. It was in great shape and had a table so I grabbed it. I told the man I was on my way to the land fill and would they be interested in any of the scrap in my trailer. He walks out and says that it was crazy to just give scrap away. He looked in the trailer and said "I'll take the broken car seat, the old push mower and those couple of pieces of steel scrap. You take that table and have a great weekend!" SCORE! I got my table for trash.

It's roughly 31"x27"x25" tall and very sturdy. Once I took off the latch it is only about an inch thick folded up.

The best part is how it fits in the Trooper with the back seat up and the tool box in place.

I've got a lead on another one that I intend to check on this week. 1 for cooking on and 1 for eating at.

See less See more
#177 ·
And a follow up on my Tent Cot's.
I realized I've had these over 4 years now. I figured I'd do a follow up.

I've have 2 of these. The original and the newer XL(oversized) size. I normally use the XL for the room. The original has more screen area and packs slightly smaller. So it gets the nod in really hot weather or when space is tight like the solo canoe.

The couple of times I had moisture issues It was related to leaving the thing open when the dew settled. Once I learned how to deal with this it has been a non issue as has any real condensation problems.

I have 3 friends that I camp with who have bought one. All are pleased and like myself it has become their go to when not using a camper.

The only issues I've seen among all of them have been the above mentioned cracked pole and 1 friend has a rivet pull out of one of the plastic leg supports. it was and easy fix with a bolt.

I have now used mine from VT to NC and out in the midwest. I had it in the mountains at freezing temps with strong winds and I've slept through a couple of storms in mine. Same on the other end at near 100* temps. I've used in several times for week long trips in campgrounds surrounded by RV's. It's been to URE twice at least now.

The big tent has only been used once for a family trip since I got this. It is my "go to" and gets used fairly often. If something happened to it at this point I'd buy another tomorrow.

Some pics from recent trip.
The original it was hot.

They've been used in this spot a lot since bought.

#178 ·
This should be a nice contrast to my above stove post. Wood fueled backpacker stove and now my new propane campfire! I might be a little backwards. :lol:

Anyway I picked up a Camco Little Red Campfire. Our truck camper has 2 10lb propane bottles as opposed to the normal 20lb'er. The camper can run the stove and the furnace for weeks on one of them. So that leaves the other for this. The idea is for quickly setup or campgrounds that don't allow wood fires or during burn bans. I like a wood campfire! But I can see times when this might be fun and handy.

It came in today so I thought I'd try it for a few. It's very windy today. Like 35-45 mph gusts and chilly.

The Campfire and one of my tanks.

Set up.

I also bought the optional cooking grid. It's for pots not meat on the grate.

Couple of fire pics. I didn't burn it long. just set it up, checked for leaks, lit it and took some pics. Pics were hard to get between daylight and the wind. I did feel some heat off the fire as well.

#179 ·
We've had our old screen house since the early 80's. It's seen several bad storms and a bit of use and has held up fine for what was a cheapy when bought.

But it's getting old and worn out. On our annual beach trip we found ourselves tying tarps to one side or another to keep the early morning and late evening sun out. Last year I saw someone else at the campground that had one with side flaps. They could hang free, get rolled up, or fasten down like tent walls. I liked it. I did some searching and found a couple I liked that did that. I ended up with one of these.
https://www.campmor.com/c/eureka-northe ... reen-house

Not cheap! But huge and well made. It came in the other day and I set it up in the front yard.

Despite not having a floor( they are available). when closed up this thing is as much a real tent as the Eureka Tetragon in the above pic.

This thing is huge. 1/2 of it has more than enough room for a campsite picnic table. That leaves 1/2 for a group of chairs when the skeeters drive us inside the screen.

Packed up it's no bigger or heavier than the old one. In fact I think it's lighter. The poles for the old one are basically steel conduit.

This will probably only get used for the beach and the occasional group gathering. But should be perfect for that.

#180 · (Edited by Moderator)
I recently ripped one of the 2 winter bags I zip together to make a double for the camper. Did some research and thought I'd try out this one. It's a tub shaped double bag with sewn in inner blankets. it's rated for 20* like the old bags and seems toasty the little I've tried it. It's queen size. Just a little smaller than the bed in the camper.

This is the bag. Today they show it at MSRP. I only paid about $135.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JBPDCRW/re ... th=1&psc=1

012 (Small).JPG

013 (Small).JPG

014 (Small).JPG

The pics make the color look weird. It's actually a nice brown color. But looks grey in the late day winter sun through the windows with my cheap camera.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.