Ultimate 1st gen Trooper II project fs

This is the place to post if you have something to sell or are in need of a part (No commercial posts)

Moderator: Staff

Ultimate 1st gen Trooper II project fs

Postby jabeach » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:55 pm

ImageImage

Hey everybody!

I haven’t posted here before, but I have been a very long time lurker and stealer of great ideas and tricks.

I have a brown 1988 Isuzu Trooper II that I’ve driven for quite a few years now. For the past several years I have been collecting parts and bits to build the ultimate all Isuzu old school trooper.

Sadly, For the past 2 years I have been ill, the main symptom being fatigue, and this has kept me from progressing on building this ultimate trooper. The illness struck when I was part way through the build, so the truck has sat half-done for these past 2 years now. Between financial hardship, lack of energy, and a general loss of interest over these past 2 years, it is now time to move this project and all the bits and pieces on to a better home.

Now the fun stuff:

My general plan was to transplant an isuzu 3.5l v6 from a late 90s trooper into the 1988 trooper. I sourced a 1998 donor Trooper with the 3.5l v6 6ve1 (cable throttle) and auto transmission . The motor ran great, burned some oil, but much less than I hear others are burning — definitely less than a quart/3k miles — and I always changed the oil on time. I also switched it over to Rotella T6 which some say dissolve the deposits in the oil drain holes in the pistons, so this may have helped. I drove this truck as is for about 6 months with no issues.

What I have/collected:

—Everything from the ’88 Trooper (including clear blue title in my name) except the original 4 cylinder engine
—Everything from the ’98 trooper except the body, seats/carpet/plastics and auto transmission
—Factory 1988 Isuzu Trooper II manual
—Factory 1998 Isuzu Trooper manual
—mua5 to 6ve/d1 bell housing, clutch and slave cylinder/lever
—Several auto transfer cases (was thinking about going double), one of which I used to do a SYE on the original mua5 manual with integral transfer case
—4.77 (43/9) isuzu 12 and 10 bolt whole front and rear axles from a black 1989 Trooper RS — these are rare
—4.56 rear 12 bolt differential/carrier with LSD (actually have whole axle from mid-90s trooper — widest width and ABS, fwiw) — was going to stick the 4.77s in the LSD carrier and use that in the original ’88 housings.
—Brand new Aisin manual lock hubs
—DOR front diff drop (I think 1.5 inches — whatever the max possible was) and new lowered crossmember to accommodate
—Rodeo radiator that can use stock ’98 trooper hoses in the swap
—Rodeo condenser that was modified to work (still needs line adapter — I have spare ends that an A/C shop could most likely mount to a new custom line)
—an isuzu rear driveshaft with correct flanges — might work as is but probably needs lengthened
—a tachometer from a trooper II with the chevy 2.8l V6 that should be easier/more natural to adapt to the isuzu V6 than that from the I4
—Lots of random Isuzu odds and ends, bolts and pieces. Anything I thought might be at all useful in the build

What I have done so far:

—Welded in engine mounts for 6ve1
—Slotted transmission mount holes
(between these two things — the drivetrain mounts and sits nicely)
—Mounted radiator
—Mounted condenser
—Removed and welded in the cross-member that holds the torsion bars from the ’98 onto the ’88 frame — this means longer, stronger torsion bars and I believe more aftermarket options. (With the extra cross-member, it looks to me like it would be safe to cut out the cross-member that once held the carrier bearing for the original two-piece driveshaft with slip-yoke, which would clear things up under the truck)
—welded in mount and installed emissions canister box near fuel tank
—Stripped wiring harnesses from both vehicles, labelling as I disconnected things
—Used automatic transmission type (but fully manual) transfer case to do a slip-yoke elimination on the mua5 integral transfer case
—Also recently put new control arm bushings in on the ’88 which was… quite a job.
—New ball joints in the ’88

The original plan was to transplant the motor along with every sensor and piece of equipment it relied on for emissions/etc so that it never knew what happened. Other than losing communication with the auto transmission.

I started with the 1988 Isuzu Trooper II with mua5 manual, 4.56 diffs, auto lock hubs with manual locks and windows (kind of a feature as trucks get older imo). The body has a few dings/dents and scratches relevant to its age and use (I took it out fairly regularly — not beating it, but loved to hit the trails). The frame has no rust rot at all, just some surface rust here and there where the pain has scraped off over time and trails. The inside isn’t in great condition. The carpet is worn and stained and the seats could use recovering. Also, I let whoever got in the truck use sharpies to draw art and sign the truck and headliner, so the inside is… interesting. A lot of it has faded, but if you wanted to completely eliminate it, it would require some new finishing materials inside the truck or some cleaning chemicals.

So basically what needs done:
—Wiring harnesses spliced together at relevant points and installed
—Exhaust designed and installed (i have the cats/headers/mufflers and everything from both systems — it is chopped up, but someone with a welder and skills could piece the whole system together without needing to buy anything except rods/wire)
—All the little detail work of fitting things into appropriate places in the engine bay, deciding what to use between ’88 vs ’98 parts etc.
—The ‘88 park brake lever won’t work because of the wider engine. I pulled a random one from a junk yard that I think would work with some custom work.
—Lengthening the rear driveshaft. I think it would actually bolt up and be fine on the road, but it seems over-extended and I would be concerned about it being long enough under any real rear axle articulation. The original front driveshaft should work just fine.

Also including a set of 5 matching alloy 15x8” wheels with a perfect offset for the trooper body in my opinion. You can see them in some of the pics. They are dirty and have a little pitting, but shine up to a chrome-like finish with some blue magic and elbow grease — also demonstrated in one of the pics.

So ya, I’m sure there are more details I’ve forgotten to add. Feel free to ask questions or PM offers, etc.

Starting out at $2700 for everything, but open to offers, so don’t hesitate. I would really like to sell it all as one package, but that may change with time and/or offers.

At this point all the parts for the swap are boxed, and labelled. The drive train is sitting installed in the truck. There is also a mountain of parts that I didn’t think would be helpful for the build but that I am keeping until the truck sells just in case the prospective buyer wants them for whatever reason.

I’m located in Austin, TX. Obviously the easiest thing is local pickup, but would be willing to figure out shipping/towing etc with the buyer if necessary.

Thanks,
Jimmy
jabeach
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Ultimate 1st gen Trooper II project fs

Postby takemehome4LOroads » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:06 pm

What a great color. Good luck with the sale.
takemehome4LOroads
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby Dean1991 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:25 pm

Hey Jimmy, there are at least 4 more of us Gen 1 Trooper owners in Austin.

I also have been sick with fatigue related stuff for about 2 years right after moving here. I just got my 91 LS Trooper in August.

I'm relatively new to mechanical stuff and auto repair (always wanted to learn, and know some basics) and totally new to Troopers.

If moral support and the occasional helping hand would keep your project alive and in your hands, give a holler!

I think the Austin Troopers need a first meetup regardless.

I didn't think there was a Gen 1 Trooper in a color I liked more than red (like mine, but my paint is toast)...that brown is awesome.

Good luck with the sale. Let me know if you'd be interested in a Meetup, either way.

Dean
Dean1991
Drives on Pavement

Postby jabeach » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:09 pm

Thank you all for the kind comments!

Maybe the fatigue is an Austin thing?? I understand that there is a lot of mold activity here and many, including myself, are sensitive to it.

An Austin meetup would be awesome but I'm afraid I'm past that phase myself. I'm moving out of state soon (partially for health reasons) and need to sell the trooper even if I had the energy to finish it. It's not ideal but it is what it is.

The paint color has always been one of my favorite things about it. I've only come across one other trooper on google images in the same color.

Thank you both again!
jabeach
Drives on Pavement

Postby 88bronzetrooper » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:39 pm

I know this is an extreme long shot. But did this truck ever sell?
Dylan

88 TrooperII 12 bolt Aussie, Rancho 5000s, Aisins, shackles, header, highflow cat, muffler, full 2.5 exhaust, 33 12.50 MTs, sliders, 251,000 miles, family owned since new.

http://www.ecors.com/

Help Darlington Offroad Racing
88bronzetrooper
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby jabeach » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:23 pm

I am parting it out now -- Have sold quite a bit, but still have many nice pieces for sale. Let me know if you (or anyone else reading this) are interested in anything!
jabeach
Drives on Pavement

Postby Bazooka » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:34 pm

Can you message me or call me. Im in Conroe Texas 346-800-7946
'91 Trooper LS - Bought From Neighbor 3/4/14 - Let the Fun Begin!

http://www.TrikeTalk.com Owner/Admin
Bazooka
Drives on Pavement

Postby jwood6111 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:03 pm

Hey Guys,
Looking for a used 2.3L head.
If anyone has one text me at (720) 202-8474
Woody
jwood6111
Drives on Pavement