Testing interest: 86 Diesel Trooper 5-spd 4-dr 3rd-gen rods

This is the place to post if you have something to sell or are in need of a part (No commercial posts)

Moderator: Staff

Testing interest: 86 Diesel Trooper 5-spd 4-dr 3rd-gen rods

Postby trooper95 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 pm

Hi, just testing interest, please reply or PM me if you are seriously interested. Pictures forthcoming. Front Royal, Virgina.

1986 Isuzu Troopper II, Diesel, 5-speed, 4-door. About 142K miles on the odometer. Round headlights. Navy blue original paint fading, typical wear and tear for age (a few dings and minor dents). Minor rust. It's a billy goat and will go anywhere you point it, also fits between pretty much any two trees. I've forded streams, driven up very steep enbankments, and miles through 2-foot deep fresh snow (dry powder, untreated roads), used it to unstuck a john-deere 4x4 tractor numerous times. Plus it looks like something Jason Bourne would drive to escape vagabonds in the sarengeti.

This is a rare beast with the reliable third-generation connecting rods (as evidenced by the oil overflow reservoir behind the battery),so it won't throw a rod. It's definitely spartan. No A/C. No radio (I have the old radio but took it out because it was coming detached beneath the dash and didn't pull a strong signal anyway). Manual locks and crank windows. All original glass. Presumably EMP-proof if you're a prepper.

Starts right up and runs strong, gobs of torque in the low range, can go 70 on the highway all day long (but don't try to pass anybody), drives well as-is, however has coolant and oil leaks when running and for a little while after. Also the heater core is clogged with stopleak and needs to be backwashed to get the heat working.

I have a complete engine rebuild kit (all gaskets and seals) as well as the rare and sought-after KB83 Service Manual (very expensive on ebay), but not the time nor know-how to fix her up. Nor the budget -- my oldest is going to college this August. Why I'm considering selling it.

I don't even know the ballpark price for this vehicle yet. I got it in Jan 2012 for $1500 but have spent thousands on repairs and replacing things. Has newer clutch, new timing belt and water pump, refurbished radiator, refurbished & resealed fuel tank, alternator, battery, aftermarket iron bumpers, nice aggressive Kumho tires. Rear bumper has trailer ball itch (but no wiring). Front bumper has winch port (but no winch). I also have a jeep wrangler back-seat in the way-back (facing rearward), making it a 7-passenger vehicle, though the jeep seat is not bolted in. It would need to be bolted to be highway safe, and that would require removing the fuel tank (which I should have remembered when they dropped it to refurbish it).

It gets 26mpg and is exempt from emissions/smog in most states due to age. In Virigina I have an antique plate which exempts from safety inspections and recurring DMV registration fees too. And it rings in $0 for Virginia the car tax, so you only need to pay the decal fee. So it's cheap to own.

If I had unlimited time and money I would be rebuilding the engine and giving it a fresh coat of paint, it will look awesome.

Let me know... what would you pay?

Thanks,
John
Last edited by trooper95 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trooper95
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Testing interest: 86 Diesel Trooper 5-spd 4-dr 3rd-gen r

Postby Skeletor » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:37 am

well, looks like you got yourself, a decent daily driver, that's crying out for some TLC....and in the event you decide to part with it, Someone will be getting a semi rare ride...especially being an early Isuzu diesel....the question of the moment, is what to ask for....and what will it actually fetch ? as we all know, you can ask any price you so desire...and someone will agree with your pricing, and purchase.....or it will sit, lots of tire kickers coming by, but no real offers...so the next step is price reduction....one factor to consider, how bad DOES it need to be sold, and how quickly ? if so, then you'll probably end up pricing it far less than your your original $$$$ notion...if you are in no hurry, then you can take your time, ask a 'higher' price..and see if that attracts any potential buyers...and you can have room to drop price...should that be the case....

you could always go back thru some of the previous pages in the classifieds...and seek out previous similar troopers...and come up with an ball park figure...perhaps a compromise of price...

you will always have options...when it comes to pricing, and eventually selling....

good luck
1990 Trooper V6 (sold) 1991 Trooper LS V6, (sold) 1990 Trooper V6, 2006 Pontiac Solstice,(sold) 1966 MG Midget, 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
Skeletor
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 41 times

Postby trooper95 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:12 am

Thanks Skeletor for solid advice.

Pictures now up:

trooper95
Drives on Pavement

Postby trooper95 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:16 am

a couple things I forgot in the OP but remembered in reviewing the dashboard picture:
1) horn is now a button.
2) Blower is now controlled by an on-off toggle switch (High or Off only)
trooper95
Drives on Pavement

Postby Skeletor » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:05 pm

trooper95 wrote:a couple things I forgot in the OP but remembered in reviewing the dashboard picture:
1) horn is now a button.
2) Blower is now controlled by an on-off toggle switch (High or Off only)

great pics of your Trooper.....body looks pretty good...again, some TLC...repair rust areas, clean and prime..and re paint as needed.

again, check out underneath..i.e. floor pans, crossmember, frame...etc...

depending on what price you'll be asking, someone within the planet, will probably snag it..

again, thanks for the picts...
1990 Trooper V6 (sold) 1991 Trooper LS V6, (sold) 1990 Trooper V6, 2006 Pontiac Solstice,(sold) 1966 MG Midget, 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
Skeletor
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 41 times

Return to Classifieds