• Nov 11-14

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Nov 18-21

Votes: 2 22.2%

Fall trip to Uwharrie anyone?? NOV 4TH-7TH

11K views 107 replies 23 participants last post by  superswire 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

This is the latest I can ever remember without someone posting a Fall Uwharrie planning thread, so I will get the ball rolling. Hi!! :hello2:

For those of you who don't know me, I am one of those chatty old farts who has been around here a long time. There are other's older, and wiser but we are becoming limited in numbers. If you were at the spring event, then we likely met. I am the old fat guy that hosted the group dinner at the Badin Lake Group camp Saturday night. It was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the next trip this fall. That being said, we need to start the planning process now for that.

What was discussed widely at the spring event was the disruption that the Arrowhead Campground camp hosts have caused to our group. We were fractured into two separate groups because of their overzealous policing of the campground. Myself and others feel this may have been a blessing in disguise as it forced us to look for other camping options. That is when I was turned on to Badin Lake Group camp. We had about a third of the campers stay there this spring for the first time and we had a blast. What we learned is that we should be able to easily have a group our size (up to 40-50 people) fit in the one group campsite that we booked. There is an adjoining site that if we book early we could also reserve if we feel it is needed. There is plenty of parking space for everyone and even enough room for a handful of campers. I believe even Marcus could fit his 5th wheel in there if he so choses. I know Jerry's camper will fit just fine.

The only negative is that there are no electric hookups. The solutions was I brought my inverter generator which provided all the power we needed and was quiet enough not to be bothersome.

I would like to see the whole group in one location again. If you are new to the Planet and haven't been to one of the Uwharrie National Forest trips? Check out some of the previous trip threads. Then plan to come on out and join us. These weekends are usually a lot of fun and we always welcome new people to come out and wheel with us. Never taken your Isuzu (or whatever 4wd you have) off-roading before? Come on out. Most of the trails we run can be run with a stock rig. Just don't be embarrassed to tell us that you are new to this. We were all new to wheeling at one time. There are plenty of people who will be glad to help you learn what not to do. :lol: If you are an old timer like me, I would definitely love to see you come back out with us again. We had a great spring trip. Let's have another one this fall !!

We need to lock down a weekend so we can reserve a site before they are all booked So who is in? Who is out? Who thinks I have clearly had too much to drink and need to go to bed (other than my wife) :drunken:

Come on people, let's go outside and play!!

* EDIT *

Group camp site C has been booked!

Here is a list of who is staying with us at group camp. Please let me know if you plan to join us so I can add you to the list. There are 10 tent pads on the site:

Tonkatoy & crew
Mr Dunge & Bride of Dunge
Nate
JP, Ditchdoc, Bride of Ditchdoc & herd of dogs
Superswire
Lorenzo (sleeping in truck)
Paulevan76?
Dylan?
Gunnar
CodeElegance
Andrew
BigBugBoogers

Those camping at Arrowhead:

Jerry (Site 32)
Van (Site 34)
Roxy (Site 30)
Lowzone (Site 19)

See less See more
#28 ·
lorenzo816 said:
Well if you have no stories to tell and no breakage? Did it really happen?
:mrgreen:
Um you ever heard of thing called a camera phone, they have been around for a few years now lol

#31 ·
Hey, this would be my first year if I can make it (health). I have a truck camper and will probably throw a towbar on the front of my Trooper to get it there. Not new to mudding (what we used to call it in the PNW), but new to group events like this. Anything I should do/know/prepare for? I'm just starting on my 89, and it only has cracked street tires on it for now, so not sure how much it can take. Although, as a test, I neatly parked it on it's trailer hitch yesterday. "Oops"?

My camper is all set up for Boondocking, so a tent site is perfect if they'll let me.

#32 ·
CodeElegance said:
Hey, this would be my first year if I can make it (health). I have a truck camper and will probably throw a towbar on the front of my Trooper to get it there. Not new to mudding (what we used to call it in the PNW), but new to group events like this. Anything I should do/know/prepare for? I'm just starting on my 89, and it only has cracked street tires on it for now, so not sure how much it can take. Although, as a test, I neatly parked it on it's trailer hitch yesterday. "Oops"?
You are welcome to come, just bring some cash to share the cost of dinner and the site(paypal and cashapp work too), if you wanna eat and camp w us. We are more than willing to take a peek at your rig and give you a idea of what trails you can do and which ones you may wanna pass on. Even a stock rig can do most of them, esp if it has a LSD rear or locker. Bring your own alcohol if you drink, and whatever you wanna eat, drink or snack on for lunch on trial as we typically spend all day Sat out there. A few get there on Thursday afternoon and most Friday at some point.

We also are a laid back crew, we joke w each other and are constantly making fun of Lorenzo so bring a sense of humor. Group dinner is usually Sat and someone (I did last time) makes breakfast Sat and Sun morning. Im sure someone else will add to what I said. Any other questions just ask

#34 ·
CodeElegance said:
I must have missed the basics. Like, what campground, and how to reserve. Also, paypal info for "stuff".
Oh, yea we have a group camp you are welcome to show up to. You can contribute once you get there since the amount is determined by how many show up to camp and eat. Usually it's like 30 a person for the weekend for camping and 10 to 15 a person for the weekend towards the food. If you back read we stay at the Badin lake group camp site. This time we booked site C. If you put it in your GPS it will take you to the group camp and there are plenty of signs pointing the way once you get into the national forest. Look for the Isuzu's since the sites are in a big circle. There are showers and bathrooms in the middle and are pretty decent.

#37 ·
Less than two month to go and things are coming together nicely! Hope everyone has had a great summer and is getting their rigs ready. I've made a few upgrades to Smitty's Trooper with the help of MrDunge. Pulled out the welded front diff so I can steer in 4wd now! New Cherokee springs in the rear for some added elevation. and a bunch of maintenance all around like brakes and shocks. It is driving much better now. So much so that I do not plan to trailer it this trip. I think it is ready for the road trip this time. Plus I had some other things come up and I was not able to buy a new equipment trailer this year. Now, if something changes between now and then that may change, but either way I am excited about the trip!

I have updated the main post for who is camping where. If you don't see your name on the list speak up quickly because the group camp is almost full.

Thanks!

#40 ·
I get it bud. MrDunge and I spent all day Sunday thrashing on Smitty's Trooper to finish the maintenance on it. It is running like a scalded dog now and driving much better. It will be getting the tires rebalanced and an alignment next week. If I feel froggy I might try and get a set of lights mounted, but I have a lot of other irons in the fire so we will see.

Only a month away!!

#41 ·
So I always say, start with very low expectations. That way, you can only go up, right. I've sent an informal invitation to the INEOS Grenadier Prototype Tour Team to come to URE in November (If not then, perhaps sometime then?) Anyway, this is just a heads up that with the announcement of INEOS establishing a presence here in N.C. (which means - jobs), that UNF might become a central proving ground for them. SO, if INEOS creates an account here and begins asking questions about November, it won't be a surprise. :cool: Driving the Grenadier

Reactions: MrDunge
#42 ·
So I always say, start with very low expectations. That way, you can only go up, right. I've sent an informal invitation to the INEOS Grenadier Prototype Tour Team to come to URE in November (If not then, perhaps sometime then?) Anyway, this is just a heads up that with the announcement of INEOS establishing a presence here in N.C. (which means - jobs), that UNF might become a central proving ground for them. SO, if INEOS creates an account here and begins asking questions about November, it won't be a surprise. :cool: Driving the Grenadier

I have been following them for a while and it would be awesome to be part of that. Thanks Don

#43 ·
This is fir anyone heading to the Nov Isuzu trip to Uwharrie- I live in Southport NC, so I’ll be road marching my 89 Trooper to Uwharrie early Friday morning. If anyone else is from my area, and wants to “convoy” over, hit me up! The more the merrier!

#45 ·
I drive an Isuzu! You think I get past 65? Lol
If you don’t mind I’ll message you closer to the date, and maybe follow you over.

#48 ·
Just put some new tires on and man what a difference. Yokohama G015... It's like Bentley quiet in the truck now :p
Still won't help you get unstuck from a rock ledge lol

#50 · (Edited)
Ok to help Mike out here is the latest list for the camp sites. Looks like we are gonna be booked up and have a good turn out for the run. Just know if you arent on the list and decide to show up there prob isnt gonna be room at group camp and will have to find a spot on the trail or at Arrowhead if there is still open sites. All are welcome to come the the group dinner. See below for details on that.

Tonkatoy & crew
Mr Dunge & Bride of Dunge
Nate and Wife
JP, Ditchdoc, Bride of Ditchdoc & herd of dogs
Trev1980 & son
Superswire
Lorenzo (sleeping in truck)
Paulevan76-----day ride (might stay Fri night in rig)
Dylan-day ride
Gunnar
CodeElegance
Andrew
Bigbugboogers
Tony
JaLinker- Roof top Tent at Group Camp

Those camping at Arrowhead:

Jerry (Site 32)
Van (Site 34)
Roxy (Site 30)
Lowzone (Site 19)
Brandon (Site 4)

Also since Mike is to nice to remind everyone. If you are camping at group camp bring 30 bucks cash or Paypal for the stay at group camp. Thats for the entire 4th-7th. Also if you wanna eat at the group dinner on either Fri or Sat bring or be able to Paypal 10 bucks to cover the food

#52 ·
Also since Mike is to nice to remind everyone. If you are camping at group camp bring 30 bucks cash or Paypal for the stay at group camp. Thats for the entire 4th-7th. Also if you wanna eat at the group dinner on either Fri or Sat bring or be able to Paypal 10 bucks to cover the food
Thanks Blaine. You are correct, I don't like being confrontational about money as I don't know everyone, and I don't like being "that guy". That being said, there have been a few years I have had to eat a significant portion of the cost due to people showing up and not pitching in. Just to be clear, I am not profiting from organizing this. Last year between the cost of the group site and the food for the group dinner I was out of pocket close to $600. This year will be more than that due to the increased cost of food. I do this because I love to get everyone together. I have made many amazing friends through this forum from all over the country that I would have otherwise never met. I also love cooking and entertaining, so hosting the group dinner Saturday night while a lot of work, is also a lot of fun for me. I am gearing up for another great trip this year. Hopefully the weather cooperates and the trails don't cause too much havoc. From the reports I have been hearing they have gotten more challenging due to all the rain and increased use this year. Should make for a lot of fun.

Just over three weeks to go!! Let's go outside and play with our toys!! :LOL:

#53 ·
Also, just a reminder. Bring a cup from home for whatever beverage you plan to drink. NO OPEN CONTAINERS!! Red solo cups also draw a lot of attention too. I personally have a 24oz knock-off Yeti cup that I bring camping. I can enjoy my cold snacks without drawing any unwanted attention. Last year there were multiple people who failed to follow this rule and it made me very uncomfortable as I am the one who would get a ticket if LEO shows up. Thankfully we didn't have any problems, but I just want to put that out there. If you see someone who doesn't know or "isn't worried" about it. Please politely educate them. I'm still a little bitter about paying the last ticket. Hence the reason I will not be camping at Arrowhead any time soon.

Thanks,

#54 ·
Boy, can I sympathize. One time we went camping with a group of friends - nice people! - and the first night in the campground, they hauled out their guitars and electric amps! We’re not talking folk music on acoustic, here. Full on hair band stuff. Which (age reveal) I normally like. But in a state park with the next site 10 feet away???

We anonymously ratted them out. 20 years later, and I still don’t think they know. LOL

#56 ·
Add 2 more bodies to Uwharrie Nov. 4 -7. (First name is Vernon and I have Troopers, hence my planet isuzu handle is verooper) Looking forward to meeting fellow isuzu enthusiast (nuts). I will not be pulling camper.

This will my first time to the event. See you soon!
Awesome. I think we will have room. If you have questions on where to go or where we will be please let us know. Also please stop at the gas station outside the park called "the outpost" that's where you get trail passes for the trails and any supplies you need. Food isn't bad either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.