Isuzu SUV Forum banner

ABS Light along with the "fix"

24K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  John in NC 
#1 ·
Posting this up as I thought it may be helpful to somebody sooner or later...

My '01 Trooper lit up the ABS light recently. The light was on almost all the time (would go out briefly once in a while).

First I checked both the 15 and 40 AMP fuses (both OK). Then I inspected all the wiring that I could get to for the front and rear wheel sensors. I didn't find any shorts or other problems. Next I shorted pin 12 to ground (pin 4) on the OBD-II connector using a paperclip. The ABS light flashes displaying code 12 (Self Test Working System OK) and code 43 (RF Holding Solenoid open/shorted). Note: If you have never done this before (I hadn't) it displays each code three times (12, 12, 12, 43, 43, 43).

I pulled the connector off the EBCU and everything was in great shape (no corrosion etc.) I cleaned it out anyway with some electronic contact cleaner and blew out both sides of the connector with some compressed air (no change).

So looks like maybe the wiring to the RF solenoid fried in the EBCU (the electrical half of the ABS unit under the hood behind the right headlight).

I contacted Jerry to inquire about a new ABS uint. Jerry informed me that they are about $2600 wholesale :shock: He recommended going with a used one from a boneyard. I checked a number of local yards. There are quite a few ABS units available at all sorts of prices (average price is about $125). The only problem is that a used one is most likely going to fail like my existing one sooner or later (hopefully later).

I then decided to google "ABS repairs". At least two shops came up that repair ABS units. I looked over a couple of websites and decided to call Module Masters http://www.modulemaster.com. Based on the information on their website the unit in my '01 Trooper is a Bosch 5.4 unit. I spoke to the folks at Module Master told them what unit I had (Bosch 5.4), the error code (43) and the vehicle.

They stated that they could most likely fix it but probably not test it (different electrical connector that they aren't setup for). They said ship it to us and we will inspect it. If we can't fix it you don't pay any bench time only shipping both ways. If they can fix it they would charge me $160 plus return shipping and if it didn't work (assuming they couldn't test it) they would refund all my money less shipping if I still had the problem.

I figured this was a no brainer. Shipped my unit out to them. They got it on a Thursday afternoon. They called me back Monday morning and said it is all done. Price was $177 ($160 for the repairs with a 5 year warranty and $17 for 2 day return shipping).

Got the unit back and it works perfectly. So if you come across problems with your ABS unit you may want to give Module Masters your business. They were really outstanding to deal with. Easy to get on the phone, helpful, reasonable cost, fast service and very generous warranty.

I have no affiliation with Module Masters other than I'm a very satisfied customer. If you run into ABS problems, repair may be an option depending on the issue.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had the same '43' code for years, and finally got around to swapping out the old pump with a bone yard pump, and got the same exact code back(even after clearing the codes)!

Just to clarify: are the EBCU and the pump the same thing?

I've been messing with this ABS thing on and off for years. The only time the light is off, is on very cold mornings. Lasts about a mile or two, then comes back on for the day.

I haven't really used the ABS, but the fact that I know it's not working bugs me:)).

I'd sure like to get that light to go out without me pulling the bulb!

Attachments

#3 ·
I'm no expert but the EBCU (Electronic Brake Control Unit) is the black portion of the ABS pump in your picture above. There are two electrical connectors (one on the bottom that you can't see and the big one on the top.

You remove the EBCU (black portion) but unhooking the two wiring harness and removing the six torx screws (need a T20 driver). Four of the six screws are easy to get to. Two are a bit more difficult. Took me about 75 minutes to remove it and about 40 to put it back (it's always easier once you do it once and I don't work all that fast).

I removed the grill and headlight and went through the headlight opening to get the other screws. Mail off the EBCU and they fix it and send it back. You can even drive the vehicle when it is out. You are not opening up the hydraulics at all.

If interested read modulemaster.com website and/or give them a call. Their FAQ has some info. and there is even a trouble shooting section.

The light was driving me nuts too and I'd rather keep everything working on my truck rather than just let stuff go into disrepair.

Reactions: JY
#7 ·
wbuz5707 said:
I have a 2004 axiom with abs light on all the time,how do I go about testing abs thanksbill :alien:
Great question, but this topic is about an '01 Trooper. Please start a new topic for yours. Taking someone else's topic over is called a "hijacking the topic", or in shorthand, a "threadjack".

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.