Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Wiper relay replacement

208K views 218 replies 86 participants last post by  joediesel 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the electronics section so feel free to move it.

I just finished replacing the relays for my wipers and took some pics and notes that I thought I would post here. I spent about 1.5 hrs and at least half of that time was testing to see what each relay did. I used a 12 volt test light which esentially grounds the pin with a light as a small load. Apparently the switches connect the ground side of the relay coils since touching one side just gave me a light and touching the other side made the relay operate with the switch off. The relays are in the box marked "Alarm" which actually has nothing to do with the alarm system that I can see.

Sorry the pics are kind of blurry, I should have used macro mode..

Top of the board with relays removed

Notice the solder pads and traces on the top. I think they are double soldered so if something doesnt work right after replacing the relay you might not have gotten enough solder to reach the top pads, or didnt heat the relay pin properly.

Back of the board with the solder points for each relay marked..

Top of the board again with new relays in and labled..

RY1 = horn
RY2 = front wipers
RY3 = not sure but touching the common for the contacts operated the rear wiper. Touching the coil did nothing that I could see.
RY4 = rear wiper
RY5 = rear washer pump

I bought mine from Mouser Electronics for $5.10 each. Apparently they stock the original Fujitsu ones now. Part number 817-FTR-P1CN012N. I ordered 3 since I wasnt sure which was the rear wiper and just replaced them all.

As a side note, if you break one open you will find a smaller Fujitsu FBR-51ND12-W relay inside wrapped in rubber. Thats how they make them quiet.

See less See more
#203 ·
I've got to say in that I tried it, removing the old relay(s) is a bit of a delicate trick. In my experience I found it a heck of a lot easier to pull a board from a junkyard (Which also, if you have not yet pulled your board, gives you experience without fear of damaging anything!!!). As much as a b!!ch it is getting the board out and then reinstalling it, you might want to have a junkyard board on stand-by, and if you go the relay route, before setting the boxes back up in there, test it out. If the fix fails, swap in the other board. As long as you can get a junkyard board, it is cheap and might save you spouting a lot of obscenities-

#204 ·
Does anyone else get this Photobucket 3rd party hosting thing over almost all of the pics members post??? Not every one, but seemingly all of those I need to see to learn anything! I have the same kind of issue with wipers, wont park, no intermittent at all...just want to know where the relays are so I can work on the system. Haynes manual is not great.

#205 ·
If your 1999 Amigo is the same as my 2001 Rodeo, inside the passenger compartment, passenger side of the front seating, to the right of the passenger's feet and about a foot or 18" above the floor, attached to the inside right wall roughly just right of the glove-box. Two boxes. Both have electrical plugs. I had to unscrew both as the one needed is the upper one. Phillips screws. The biggest PITA is you need thin hands and LOTS of light and maybe some Xanax as I had to keep my temper under control.

Access was not through the glove-box area (you still want to remove the glove-box), but by positioning yourself pretty much inverted (upside down...) in the front passenger area with your feet trying to get some leverage against the passenger's seat back or the door-post, as the center console prevents you from just stretching out horizontal. Have your tools in easy reach...

You will likely save yourself a lot of frustration by getting one or two from a junk-yard instead of attempting to replace the relay(s). Problems with them being almost identical, damage in un-soldering and assuring proper connection when the new are soldered in create a lot of chances for error, perhaps and likely more than the chance that the junk-yard board might also be bad-

#206 ·
Thank you so much! I'm about to go look at it but, given the fact that I am not a small person, I'm figuring I will not be able to get to it the way I need to. I'll go ahead and put it on the 'pull' list for my next trip to pick a part.

#208 ·
OK, the upper box in that space says "alarm". Another DENSO manufacturing branded box. Nice to see American made stuff in there though. Is the wiper relay part of one of these boxes? Thought I read that somewhere.

#209 ·
I'm sorry, if I had read more up above I would've seen the answer to that last question. Got the boxes out fairly easily and can see nothing that looks like damage but I guess I'll just go and replace this box with one I'll grab from a junkyard and hope for the best. Thanks all!

#210 ·
The likely problem is arcing building up carbon deposits on the contacts inside one (and possibly more) of the relays that are in the little enclosed boxes on the board. Some folks have had success replacing the relays themselves, but I can state from experience that just replacing the board is easier and inexpensive if found in a yard.

Oh, btw, I wish you good fortune and luck in getting those buggers screwed back in, I hope you have more maneuvering room than I did-

#211 ·
whiteryder said:
Just found the Zettler relays on eBay at a reasonable price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292398176715

Thanks from me too for this thread. Working on a 15 year old car with intermittent issues and no dealer
support is quite a challenge. Good to know there are still a few of us around trying to keep them running. :)
Anyone able to confirm these are the correct relays to replace the OEM or NEC version with since Mouser doesn't carry them anymore?

#214 ·
WORKED!! 2001 RODEO 4x4 LS Front Intermittent, Wiper Park, and Rear Wiper problems... All fixed with this 45 minute job!! Thank you VERY MUCH!!

Searched EVERYWHERE for how to fix this and everywhere else just said to replace the stupid switch arms in the column, and check the fuses; no real fixes to be had.

NOTE: the original part from Mouser is no longer manufactured- I used American Zettler 12V, SPDT, PCB Mount Relay Part Number: AZ943-1CH-12DE (DIRECT REPLACEMENT)

Gizmo42 you are AWESOME!! thank you!!

#218 ·
robertgarven said:
just read through this thread again this group is fantastic! Wish you could add photos that stayed!!!!
You can if you upload them directly to the site instead of using image hosting websites.

#219 ·
Thank you to all!
I just did this to my 98 Rodeo and the pictures matched perfectly with my board and the relays fit exactly.
Front wiper is once again fully operational. I changed all 3 relays (2,3,and 4) but my rear wiper is not working. I didn't have time to diagnose why, fuse was blown which I changed but still no rear wiper. My daughter brought the truck home from school for Thanksgiving break so I had a limited window to work on it. Maybe at Xmas or in the spring I'll delve deeper into the rear wiper but for now the front working is the perfect end result.
I appreciate all the work that people have done to make this such a straightforward repair.
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.