1988 Trooper resto

Here are all of the best threads. Alert an admin to nominate a thread

Moderator: Staff

Postby slainer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:33 pm

I love you're Trooper it looks awesome, Could you tell me more about the cut off rocker panels, did you reinforce the floor or just cut away? I'm looking into rock sliders for my first gen trooper and they would fit much nicer without the rockes.
slainer
Trail Master

Have thanks: 28 times

Sponsor

Re: 1988 Trooper resto

Postby electricpuppyboy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:32 pm

Just read through this whole thing again tonight. Thought I would bump it up for any member who hasn't had a chance to read this yet.

You really did great work on this man!
Last edited by electricpuppyboy on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Bob

1988 Trooper LS 4ZE1 mua5 - "Build" Story
1990 Trooper S 4ZE1 mua5 - gone
1989 Trooper RS 4ZE1 Auto - gone
1989 Trooper LS 4ZE1 Auto
electricpuppyboy
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 44 times

Postby Cronk » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:37 pm

One of my favorites.
Cronk
Subscriber

Have thanks: 93 times

Postby streetersam » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:32 pm

Just read through the whole thing again, love it! What an awesome job he did!! Very inspiring, wish I had the know-how, time, money, and most importantly SPACE, to do this!
- Sam

2000 Trooper S, 5-speed
BFG A/T 265-75-16's, bedlined lower trim & bumpers, 2" Spacer lift, T-bar crank, 3% tint, Weathertech Floorliners, Exedy clutch, Dynomax Super Turbo 2.5" exhaust, Plasti Dipped wheels

***FOR SALE*** See build thread below

My Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52107
streetersam
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby JBsTrooper » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:12 am

Can't believe I missed this! Just read the whole thing. Fantastic work!
JBsTrooper
Mud King

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby ctracy5 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Amazing work, you have set the bar high for first gen troopers!
1991 Trooper LS V-6 Auto
Front - T-bar lift, ball joint flip with Indy 4x spacer and hardware, Indy 4x extended brake lines, and Asisn manual locking hubs
Rear - Indy4x 1.5" lift shackles, hardware, poly bushings, OME lift leaf springs, Indy 4x extended brake lines, and 4* axle shims
2nd Gen Brakes upgrade in front
315 / 75 R 16 Hankook Dyanpro ATMs
1" body lift
Cheap 5" spot lights mounted on bumper
Custom rear bumper and sliders by Fisher Fabrication
Custom rear drive shafts by Bill's Englewood Driveshaft
Front Lokka Locker
Lift part 1 - https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=68376 -
Complete Build - https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=67176 -
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/christracy100/videos -
ctracy5
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby jbsails » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:19 am

I am new to the Trooper world and just lurked the last hour on this thread. Amazing work and thought I would bump it up for others like myself....
jbsails
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby imamonstertruck » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:50 pm

Yeah, on of my top fav's!

Didnt he sell this recently or am I mistaken?

INSPIRATION

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:
-91 Trooper, 3.4 V6, 5speed, 4.77 gears, 3:1 Revo T-Case Gears, HD tie rods, 3" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 1.5" diff drop, 33x10.5x15 BFG A/T,
Round Eye Swap (JDM marker lamps).

1989 Trooper RS https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81642&p=722882#p722882

Previous Troopers and Build Thread->https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63260

1988 ISUZU TROOPER WORKSHOP MANUAL

"There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."~ Dalai Lama

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”Dr.Suess

Aaronmcvay84 wrote:I think with isuzus there is a more mature crowd that realizes the value of their hard work. They keep things.
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 175 times

BOUGHT - Re: 1988 Trooper resto

Postby spocksbrain » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:00 pm

OK Folks,

I thought I would jump into this, because I bought THIS spectacular beast two days ago... I'll post some pics and give an update of her current condition soon, in case this would interest anyone.

-Matt

UPDATE

So here's what I know or strongly suspect about her...

1. The body is in pretty good shape, there is a little rust forming in some spots, particularly around the rear windows.
2. The paint has held up fairly well. It has gone flat, but I think that was expected and I like it. There are some spots on the roof and on corners where it has worn through, I am going to have to work through touchups and matching.
3. The undercoating on the body help up really well. Only where there was obvious rubbing did it wear through.
4. The interior has done OK, but it's 30 years old and it shows, but nothing is really broken, except the driver's windows crank and seat.
5. Now to the Engine..... , it currently needs a coolant temp sensor, because it starts hard as hell, but eventually gets running.
6. On occasion, such as 10 minutes after I bought the vehicle, something in the ECU goes wacky and it will die and not start. Physically plugging the harnesses back in, though they aren't loose or corroded, will get things back on track. This only happened to me once, so far, and the previous owner said it happened to him once.
7. The previous owner told me that he replaced the head gasket, the clutch and slave cylinder, and radiator, I think.
8. Not that I'm sure this was ever working, but the AC is dead, the blower blows, it's rough, but it blows.
9. The tires, which I assume are the ones put on during the rebuild are at about 50%, and I think I'm going to switch these out with something closer to stock. As they are, they feel really unstable, and sort of dive left when I brake.
10. Now I haven't been able to survey the underbody or suspension very carefully, but there are some stout rattles and creaks I need to chase down.

So given all this, may I give major props to Greasemonkey for all his hard work. And If anyone has suggestions for the issues I've found or questions about this girl, I'll do my best to answer.

-Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by spocksbrain on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
spocksbrain
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: BOUGHT - Re: 1988 Trooper resto

Postby Nwkaustin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:35 pm

spocksbrain wrote:OK Folks,

I thought I would jump into this, because I bought THIS spectacular beast two days ago... I'll post some pics and give an update of her current condition soon, in case this would interest anyone.

-Matt

Yes please!!!
Nwkaustin
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby spocksbrain » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:00 pm

And a few more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spocksbrain
Drives on Pavement

Postby paulevans76 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Can you take a picture of the rocker area beneath the doors? I know they were cut out by the PO, but I never saw what they looked like underneath - whether they were plated and welded up, left open, etc. I will be cutting mine out and would like to see how others have done it. Thanks!

Looks great by the way!
Scratch n Dent special 1991 Trooper S
3.4 V6 - Holley TBI, CompCams 252H, 1.6:1 roller rockers, +1mm DOHC pistons, MSD ignition, custom tune, "Ed Mc Special" 2.5" exhaust
MUA5 w/ 3.07's & fixed yoke
SAS - Waggy F D44 - 5.38's, RCV's, OX locker; Rodeo R 44 - Detroit, truss
Front Y-link radius arms, coils; Rear SOA, OME leaves, anti-wrap bar
35x12.50/17 General Grabber X3's on 17x9 Interco Birddogs
Trail armor and Warn XD9000
The White Whale - a temporary daily driver 1991 Trooper - 2.8 V6, MUA5 - stocker resto (sold)
1994 Samurai - 1.3 FI - OME suspension, 31's, 6.5:1 tcase, 5k milemarker SxS winch, more to come!
paulevans76
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 185 times

Postby spocksbrain » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:45 am

paulevans76 wrote:Can you take a picture of the rocker area beneath the doors? I know they were cut out by the PO, but I never saw what they looked like underneath - whether they were plated and welded up, left open, etc. I will be cutting mine out and would like to see how others have done it. Thanks!

Looks great by the way!

Sure, I'll be glad to try to get that for you.

For this post the author spocksbrain was thanked by:
paulevans76
spocksbrain
Drives on Pavement

Postby spocksbrain » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:34 pm

@paulevans76

OK. Not sure if this is what you're looking for but here are shots of the what's left under the doors.

For this post the author spocksbrain was thanked by:
paulevans76
spocksbrain
Drives on Pavement

Postby paulevans76 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Thanks man, that's perfect!
Scratch n Dent special 1991 Trooper S
3.4 V6 - Holley TBI, CompCams 252H, 1.6:1 roller rockers, +1mm DOHC pistons, MSD ignition, custom tune, "Ed Mc Special" 2.5" exhaust
MUA5 w/ 3.07's & fixed yoke
SAS - Waggy F D44 - 5.38's, RCV's, OX locker; Rodeo R 44 - Detroit, truss
Front Y-link radius arms, coils; Rear SOA, OME leaves, anti-wrap bar
35x12.50/17 General Grabber X3's on 17x9 Interco Birddogs
Trail armor and Warn XD9000
The White Whale - a temporary daily driver 1991 Trooper - 2.8 V6, MUA5 - stocker resto (sold)
1994 Samurai - 1.3 FI - OME suspension, 31's, 6.5:1 tcase, 5k milemarker SxS winch, more to come!
paulevans76
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 185 times

Postby greasemonkey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:46 pm

If I remember correctly, the hackjob builder used a sawzall and whacked them off. Ha!
Man, this made my day. You bought it from Keith? How many miles are on it now? It's got some definite interior wear, but the body looks pretty straight still.

Short backstory for all the people who wonder why a guy would do a whirlwind trail truck build, disappear for a while, then pop back up to sell it. At the time I started this thread, I was a 23 year old over the road truck driver who decided to join the Marines (I do enjoy a challenge). At the same time, the house was for sale and I was losing my space to work on the Trooper. I had already started the build, and didn't have a set boot camp date and therefore built/rebuilt the truck in a decent hurry. Some of it was obviously done in haste, like the rusty rocker treatment or the front bumper. Off to SC I went early 2010, then to NC, then to OK, then back to NC. I brought my DD Silverado to my duty station toward the end of 2010, and everything else stayed in FL. Fast forward a few years, young Corporal Me was married, back from Afghanistan end of 2012, kid on the way shortly thereafter...lack of funds hit me hard, and my toys from years ago were still home collecting leaves and rust. Now you know why I built it so fast, and why I let it go. Trust me, it wasn't easy. I loved that truck. I had a great time building it, and man did that thing perform offroad.

I am extremely happy to see this go to someone who appreciates it and will care for it. Any questions, ask away. In fact, I still have some random parts here and there if you ever need anything. Where in AL are you?

Take care, John

greasemonkey was thanked by:
paulevans76spocksbrain
greasemonkey
Trail Master

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby spocksbrain » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay replying, but it's been head down crazy here and I've been all over the country in the last few weeks.

I appreciate the back story and your decision to serve. I hope all is well now.

So to your questions. First, I didn't buy her from Keith, I'm assuming you're talking about Kieth from Hanceville. He sold her on to a guy in Sylacauga, AL, Nate. He did a bit of work on her and I bought her from him. She now has a little over 105k and the body is still very straight, a few dings here and there but very good overall. The engine and drive line have a few issues, but I hope to get those sorted out soon. If it's alright, I'll probably ask you a few questions.

I really like her as a toy, but I have had to put her to work though. My, would be, daily driver Jeep has hit the skids and needs some serious work. So to make driving her a bit easier, I've mounted closer to stock tires on the two extra rims you had and two others, while I try to find a couple of matching snowflakes, for a decent price. Anyway, I've got to head out again, WI bound. Hope to update this more soon.

Oh, I almost forgot, I'm in the Birmingham area, and I'd be glad to take any spares you have off your hands. You never know when you'll need them.

Regards,
Matt
spocksbrain
Drives on Pavement

Previous