Axiom wheels fit other isuzus don't they?

What fits and What performs

Moderator: Staff

Axiom wheels fit other isuzus don't they?

Postby Cronk » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:27 am

The Axiom wheels will fit any other isuzu won't they?
It's just the Ascender wheels that will have problems...

I'm looking for some 17" rims. Want OEM isuzu and Axium seems to be the only Isuzu 17" rim out there.

Anybody know for sure?

I'm having thoughts about some different wheels for my RS.
Cronk
Subscriber

Have thanks: 93 times

Sponsor

Postby c3llblock » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:34 am

Yes. The ASSENDERS don't work cuz they aren't real Isuzu's.
89 imark sunsport
91 impulse
93 pickup
c3llblock
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby lowzone » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:36 am

ok Axiom rims do fit but NOT WITH HUBS. they have 2 styles. one with a BIG cap and one with a flush cap. I dont know about the big cap bore but the flush cap will only work on vehicles WITHOUT locking hubs. i had a set on a 2wd pickup and the 2wd bearing cap stuck thru the hole and i couldnt get the flush cap back on....looked terrible. As far as 17s go, look at Toyota wheels, most have 15mm offset, unlike the Axiom 30mm....so they wont stick in as much. i have a set of 5 17x7.5 4Runner rims that fit on my truck but with the Amigo fenders looked silly tucked inside the wheelwell. i need 17x8s with 0 offset to look right....
if i build it, it will scrape..........or catch on fire
I'm not a mechanic, but i played one in my garage......
lowzone
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby Cronk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:07 am

Ok, good info. In that case, they would probably work on my 02' Rodeo since it has the later model front hubs. I ended up going with some Nissan rims.
Cronk
Subscriber

Have thanks: 93 times

02 rodeo wheels

Postby bowhunter8 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:04 am

I also have an 02 Rodeo Sport (Amigo) with the 'integrate' front axle. I just found a set of Axiom 17" wheels. Need to try them, see how they fit and look.
02 Rodeo Sport 3.2 4wd hardtop. Hidden Hitch Class III for Rodeo with under vehicle spare. Bought in 2009 w' 37,000 m, now 145,000, and rusty. May replace with a low miles '02 Trooper?
bowhunter8
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Axiom wheels fit other isuzus don't they?

Postby Enemigo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:05 pm

Well, too bad I didn't research on here before I jumped in with both feet to switching to Axiom wheels. Now I've got $1,000 tied up into wheel and tires, and everything is mounted, but the Axiom rims don't fit over the Trooper 4wd hubs. Now I need to figure out if I should try and find some Toyota or Chevy wheels, or see how much it costs to bore out these Axiom wheels. I seem to have two difference styles of Axiom rim as well. Oh yeah, this is trying to put Axiom wheels onto a '99 Trooper by the way. Wheels were off two different 2002 Axioms. One of the five wheels has a lip on the inside of the hub, the rest are smooth. We tried both wheels at the tire shop and neither fit, but the ones without the rim seemed close. I don't think there is much meat on the inside of the hub to consider boring them out. Bummer.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby SRN » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:02 am

Axiom wheels DO fit with locking hubs, as long as you get the ones without the flush mounted center cap:

Both my dad and I run full sets of five Axiom wheels, but we had to hunt the yards for them over the course of a few years. I don't know specifically which years had the flush center caps, and which didn't; but they are not common. No modification was needed to the wheels, they bolt right up.
I ran Toyota FJ Cruiser wheels for years, and while they fit, they are lug centric rather than hub centric like Isuzu wheels; so they where a PITA to take on and off (especially when you have to do it on the trail). The Axiom wheels where a great upgrade.
SRN
Trail Master

Postby Enemigo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:29 pm

I've got four with the big covers, and one with the flush cover. None of them fit. Also, I have a '99 Trooper. I test fit one of these wheels onto the front of a Trooper at the yard, and it went on. On mine, it seems to interfer with the hub bolt heads. Now I'm wondering if mine aren't the factory ones. I don't remember if my Superwinch locking hubs came with new bolts or not.

The flush cover has the little lip of material around the inside right?
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby SRN » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:42 pm

Enemigo wrote:I've got four with the big covers, and one with the flush cover. None of them fit. Also, I have a '99 Trooper. I test fit one of these wheels onto the front of a Trooper at the yard, and it went on. On mine, it seems to interfer with the hub bolt heads. Now I'm wondering if mine aren't the factory ones. I don't remember if my Superwinch locking hubs came with new bolts or not.

Ah, the Superwinch hubs are likely the culprit. I'm fairly certain that they are bigger and the Axiom wheels are perfectly sized to fit over the AISIN manual hubs or stock auto hubs.

The flush cover has the little lip of material around the inside right?

Yes.
SRN
Trail Master

Postby Enemigo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:03 pm

They fit over the hub cover, but contact the six hex head bolts just behind the cover. I'm supposed to be pickup up for 4Runner wheels today. I don't like disappointing people on Craigslist, but hopefully I can get this figured out and call that guy in time.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby SRN » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:15 pm

Enemigo wrote:They fit over the hub cover, but contact the six hex head bolts just behind the cover. I'm supposed to be pickup up for 4Runner wheels today. I don't like disappointing people on Craigslist, but hopefully I can get this figured out and call that guy in time.

That sucks. Maybe pick up some Allen head bolts the same length so they are flush?
SRN
Trail Master

Postby Enemigo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:45 pm

They are flush. I guess I singled them out because they are what hits. I was trying to get them mounted yesterday and the shop said they didn't fit, and I tried a bit. I wasn't going to spend all day sitting in their shop though, so I just left. Now I'm going out to the driveway to see if I can get them on. I'll be happy to feel like a moron and find out that they do fit. I'll keep everyone updated.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby Enemigo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:49 pm

Okay, it appears that the guys at the tire shop were just being gentle. I got them to fit and am pretty happy. Now I just need to figure out how to get that lip machined off the spare. They look way better than what I had on there before.

Before

After
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby SRN » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Thats great, man! Those Axiom wheels are good lookin!
SRN
Trail Master

Postby Enemigo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:44 pm

While we're talking about it, here is a picture of the Axiom wheel with the flush fitting center cap. This one was a spare so didn't have a center cap. You can see the extra lip of material. I'm looking for a machine shop to see if I can get that machined off at the moment.

1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty