Recommendation on skinny tires for 15" wheels?

What fits and What performs

Moderator: Staff

Recommendation on skinny tires for 15" wheels?

Postby tpuck » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:11 am

I am looking for something around 31x9.5r15. I can't seem to find anything. Does anyone have a good recommendation?
1986 2.3L Trooper II LS
Low mileage engine replacement
working to get her to the top of her game
My slow build
tpuck
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: Recommendation on skinny tires for 15" wheels?

Postby shaggydoink » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:21 am

These might be a touch smaller than what you're looking for, but Nankang has a 30/9.50R-15 in their Mudstar line:

https://simpletire.com/nankang-lt30-9.5 ... 0008-tires

I call this out as I'm personally a huge fan of this tire, they don't have the flashy name here in the US like a BFG or Cooper, but have performed incredibly well both on/off-road and are a fraction of the price compared to these brands.

Interco appears to make a Super Swamper in the 31/9.5R-15:

https://simpletire.com/interco-lt31-9.5 ... 823r-tires

I don't have personal experience with this tire, although know several people who swear by them.

Good luck with your search, let us know what you end up getting! :thumbup:

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 414 times

Postby tpuck » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:20 pm

shaggydoink wrote:These might be a touch smaller than what you're looking for, but Nankang has a 30/9.50R-15 in their Mudstar line:

https://simpletire.com/nankang-lt30-9.5 ... 0008-tires

I call this out as I'm personally a huge fan of this tire, they don't have the flashy name here in the US like a BFG or Cooper, but have performed incredibly well both on/off-road and are a fraction of the price compared to these brands.

Interco appears to make a Super Swamper in the 31/9.5R-15:

https://simpletire.com/interco-lt31-9.5 ... 823r-tires

I don't have personal experience with this tire, although know several people who swear by them.

Good luck with your search, let us know what you end up getting! :thumbup:

Jonathan

Thanks man, good find. I will be spending more time on road than off, but need something that can handle back-country forest roads and Texas easy trails.

Was of course hoping to spend around $100, but I know that probably isn't doable.

I will update y'all with pictures and info.
1986 2.3L Trooper II LS
My slow build
tpuck
Mi Amigo

Postby shaggydoink » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:25 pm

tpuck wrote:I will be spending more time on road than off, but need something that can handle back-country forest roads and Texas easy trails.

My "trail truck" is also my daily driver and I've been pleasantly surprised at how quiet the Mudstars have been, the tread has really held up too with all the pavement miles... that said, an all-terrain might be a better choice for you. I know a couple people who have run Wild Country tires and been happy with them, again I don't have any personal experience with these and they're a touch above the original size you were looking for but right around the $100/tire mark:

https://simpletire.com/multi-mile-31-10 ... sx46-tires

Before I switched to the Mudstar I ran the BFG All-Terrain T/A, the only reason I switched was because I wanted the more aggressive tread of a mud-terrain in order to handle the types of terrain I wanted to travel. They're more expensive but incredible tires:

https://simpletire.com/bfgoodrich-lt30- ... 4055-tires

I'm starting to appreciate why you created this thread to begin with, 31/9.5R-15 is a tough size to find!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby tpuck » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:45 am

shaggydoink wrote:
tpuck wrote:I will be spending more time on road than off, but need something that can handle back-country forest roads and Texas easy trails.

My "trail truck" is also my daily driver and I've been pleasantly surprised at how quiet the Mudstars have been, the tread has really held up too with all the pavement miles... that said, an all-terrain might be a better choice for you. I know a couple people who have run Wild Country tires and been happy with them, again I don't have any personal experience with these and they're a touch above the original size you were looking for but right around the $100/tire mark:

https://simpletire.com/multi-mile-31-10 ... sx46-tires

Before I switched to the Mudstar I ran the BFG All-Terrain T/A, the only reason I switched was because I wanted the more aggressive tread of a mud-terrain in order to handle the types of terrain I wanted to travel. They're more expensive but incredible tires:

https://simpletire.com/bfgoodrich-lt30- ... 4055-tires

I'm starting to appreciate why you created this thread to begin with, 31/9.5R-15 is a tough size to find!

Jonathan

Oh yeah those BFG are nice.

Yeah it's interesting that this size is so rare. I'm trying to find something comparable, but we shall see. I really wanted a sub 10 tire.
1986 2.3L Trooper II LS
My slow build
tpuck
Mi Amigo

Postby shaggydoink » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:43 am

Yeah, there seems to be a lot more options for the "pizza cutter" size in a 16" rim... which I realize solves one problem but creates another. :roll:

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby tpuck » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:45 pm

shaggydoink wrote:Yeah, there seems to be a lot more options for the "pizza cutter" size in a 16" rim... which I realize solves one problem but creates another. :roll:

Jonathan

Did all the troopers come stock with 15" wheels? I guess I can just go measure mine...
1986 2.3L Trooper II LS
My slow build
tpuck
Mi Amigo

Postby geoffinbc » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:18 pm

tpuck wrote:
shaggydoink wrote:Yeah, there seems to be a lot more options for the "pizza cutter" size in a 16" rim... which I realize solves one problem but creates another. :roll:

Jonathan

Did all the troopers come stock with 15" wheels? I guess I can just go measure mine...

I believe all steel wheels were 15" but there are plenty of 16" Snowflakes around that open up way more tire sizes. I am trying to find a skinny 34" tire but I know I will have to switch to 16" rims to do it.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 358 times