Just ordered some tyres, (and got some panic)

What fits and What performs

Moderator: Staff

Just ordered some tyres, (and got some panic)

Postby gelgamesh » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:32 pm

Oh i hate not having all possible experience...

I just ordered four new Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s 265/75-16" because my tyre shop recommended these. The tyres i asked for was BFG KO2. And well, Cooper are ok, and i am used to this guy and he´s usually a good pro to listen to.

But now i am getting a feeling that i ordered a much worse off-road tyre than the KO2´s. I know that none of them are M/T´s but i want the compromise as good as possible with both on and off road performance. And as usual, no clear info is available.

How much worse are the Coopers off road than the KO2? Is it a complete difference or just a small difference? I will probably be disapointed if i get bigger tyres that´s not any better off road than my current tyres, which are some older (and too small) Cooper Discoverer with more road tyre looks (studded winter tyres).
Ebony Black 1995 Isuzu Trooper LWB (Opel Monterey LTD) 3.2 SOHC manual. I am Swedish and haven´t been to school since the eighties, so excuse any bad English. :)
gelgamesh
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Just ordered some tyres, (and got some panic)

Postby gelgamesh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:33 am

Couldn´t stop my brain from overthinking. I cancelled the order and went for the BFG KO2´s instead. At least now i know that i choosed something that many people likes. And well... The brain has stopped screaming also.

Of course i got one more little question.

My car is a 1995 (with the original factory 7-inch rims) and i think that is the narrow "tracking widht" (if that´s the correct word). I Ordered the KO2 in 265/75 16. I have seen that they should work without rubbing but i can only remember reading about people with newer "wider" cars. Do we think that they also fit the "narrower" 1995?
Ebony Black 1995 Isuzu Trooper LWB (Opel Monterey LTD) 3.2 SOHC manual. I am Swedish and haven´t been to school since the eighties, so excuse any bad English. :)
gelgamesh
Drives on Gravel

Postby 93trooperpooper » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:01 am

from my personal experience in a tire shop, I would run coopers over bfg. way more failure rates with the bfg casings, tread separations, sidewall delamination at the bead area.

I run cooper at3 on my trooper. excellent traction, quiet tire. smooth ride
I now only install cooper at3+ on the work vehicles- Chinese tires have higher failure rates, bfg had poor mileage-
boss wanted cheap tires, so I installed cheap tires- many of the trucks had tire failures, short tread life. started to install coopers. no issues so far its been 3 years, 5 different trucks.
one truck came with new bfg tires, one of them failed at 20,000 km
another new truck had goodyears, 2 of them failed at 24,000.
will drive these until they quit and move onto something else.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby paulb208 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:04 pm

I have Discoverer AT3's on my Trooper and agree with 93trooperpooper: excellent traction, quiet, smooth. Two thumbs up for snow and ice. I've been disappointed in just about all the cheaper foreign tires I've purchased. I can't speak to the relative traction difference between the Coopers and the BFG's, but I imagine it would not be super significant.
------------------------
1999 Trooper S 3.5L 4x4 auto TOD w/ 4Hi Mod - 200K miles and counting
paulb208
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby paulevans76 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:39 pm

The Cooper AT3 is a bit less aggressive but I've only heard good things about them. BFG A/Ts will always have fans, they are a proven tire, although some don't like the newest version as much as the last. I had experience with the last version and they were always great. General makes a great AT, they just updated it this past year.
Scratch n Dent special 1991 Trooper S
3.4 V6 - Holley TBI, CompCams 252H, 1.6:1 roller rockers, +1mm DOHC pistons, MSD ignition, custom tune, "Ed Mc Special" 2.5" exhaust
MUA5 w/ 3.07's & fixed yoke
SAS - Waggy F D44 - 5.38's, RCV's, OX locker; Rodeo R 44 - Detroit, truss
Front Y-link radius arms, coils; Rear SOA, OME leaves, anti-wrap bar
35x12.50/17 General Grabber X3's on 17x9 Interco Birddogs
Trail armor and Warn XD9000
The White Whale - a temporary daily driver 1991 Trooper - 2.8 V6, MUA5 - stocker resto (sold)
1994 Samurai - 1.3 FI - OME suspension, 31's, 6.5:1 tcase, 5k milemarker SxS winch, more to come!
paulevans76
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 185 times

Postby catbrown357 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:11 pm

BFGs are over-rated and over-priced.
2001 Isuzu Trooper LS 4X4, 3" OME lift, Skyjacker shocks, TB crank, 265/75 16 AT tires, Warn manual hubs, Heavy duty tie rods, the list goes on...
2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4X4, 3" full OME lift.
2017 BMW GS Adventure, the best bike ever!
catbrown357
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby Benton » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:39 pm

I went from Bridgestone Revos to Cooper AT3s. The Coopers are considerable softer. Nice around the city, but I don't know if it's good or bad for the offroad. Never tried the BFGs. In my mind the best tire is the one that doesn't blow out.
1995 Isuzu Trooper LS
Benton
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby RickP » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:28 pm

I've got the AT3's and I like them. Never had any issue with traction the couple times I took it off road. A few years ago, a company I worked for replaced the tires on a truck that had Big O Bigfoot AT. Even though it had plenty of tread we were struggling for traction out of mind site out west. We installed the ko2s and it made a world of difference, they're really good tires.
RickP
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 101 times

Postby LegoJunky » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:32 pm

I had BFG KO2 and I couldn't stand the wet traction, or therefore lack of. The KO2s lasted forever, I sold them with the wheels to a friend. I believe they are at or around 60K miles now and still passed state inspection. We get rain often where I live, as well with flooding so I purchased Goodyear Duratracs on my work truck, and they are better in the wet but wear very fast. My father and brother-in-law have the cooper AT3, with no complaints about wear or wet traction. Granted, they never drive off of pavement. I have new BFG KM2 on my Rodeo, courtesy of the previous owner. I'm going to get something less aggressive. Walmart sells a new Goodyear Authority tire that I've heard good news on.

As I get older, I appreciate tires that don't hum loudly.
'93 Trooper RS 5-spd 4x4 3.2l (Sold)
'02 Rodeo LS 5-spd 4x4 3.2l
'15 Ram 1500 8-speed 5.7l
LegoJunky
Drives on Pavement