93 trooper re-fresh

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: 93 trooper re-fresh

Postby 93trooperpooper » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:43 am

it makes for an easy day when you have the proper tools and parts on hand....and nobody bugging you.
will drive these until they quit and move onto something else.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Have thanks: 27 times

Sponsor

Postby 93trooperpooper » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:11 pm

got tired of replacing led '''bulbs'' in the main interior lamp, so i installed a 4'' round surface mount led interior lamp, wired into the oem wiring. works with the door switch, and the oem ceiling lamp switch. much better .
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:54 am

wheel alignment done, drives alot better, way less play in the front-end. eventually will replace the steering box...
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:42 pm

put a liter of oil in it.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:39 am

collecting parts so i can put it under the knife AGAIN, this time for injector work. still waiting on some injector seals. dont want to get halfway thru and not have all the parts on hand to finish it...
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby sno » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 pm

Just thought id let u know that Performance FI will give you a better deal on the fuel injector service if you provide those external orings or let him u know u have some to install yourself. He also had the correct o-ring for the fuel rail return line, there is a rubber one which should be replaced and a plastic hard one which you can reuse on that fuel return hard line. When he sold me that oring he wasn't 100% confident it was the right size but it ended up being a perfect fit
Current Vehicles:

'Tippy': 1993 Isuzu Trooper LS: 4x4/Automatic/DOHC/limited slip diff/2" lift/250,000+KM. Daily driven. Owned by my parents since new, my childhood family car. Rescued from sitting in a field summer 2019. https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 5&t=142671

'The parts rig': 1993 Isuzu Trooper: 4x4/Manual/SOHC/324,000 Km. Runs too well to actually start parting out. Manual swap donor in the event of 4l30e failure

2011 Honda Accord 3.5L V6: 6 speed manual/HFP trim kit/HFP coilovers/19" wheels/magnaflow exhaust/cat delete/short ram intake/
sno
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:42 pm

gaskets arrived, but not the o-rings....grr
but i did pick up a inspection camera, to assist in other trooper diagnosing...$68
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:36 pm

Fuel injector o rings arrived.
Added 2 liters oil
Added 2 liters of coolant
Added 2 liters of washer fluid
Drove on crappy roads in 2wd-why is 4wd always needed? People are pathetic.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:31 pm

chased after a burnt-out drivers side headlamp- perfect storm- a melted ground at the hid ballast, bad ballast, and burnt out bulb.

still havent pulled out the injectors....
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:49 pm

little puddle under the trooper....input shaft seal leaking on the steering box.... :roll: i guess its time to change the sloppy steering box....why install a seal when the box is worn out :lol:
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:49 am

drove thru snow drifts 3' and constant snow of 2'+ just to get gas for my atv's....local gas stations were closed....wife only had 1/8 tank of fuel in the trooper.....she knew the storm was coming since thursday.... i thought i had extra gas, but the kiddo used it up in his atv last week, and didnt tell me the jerry can was almost empty......

off to the big city, highways in very bad shape, a few vehicles in the ditches, tractor-trailers stuck, some slightly jack-knifed, others were chaining up, highway closed at the border (which isnt far from me )
tried pulling one guy out of the ditch, but it was snowing and blowing so much that his tracks were completly filled in with snow within 10 minutes....and i didnt want to get sucked into the ditch as well....roads are sheet ice, no traction whatsoever :cry:

so much snow under the hood of brenda that the alternator would cut in and out , most likely the belt slipping... :blackeye:
moved stuff around in the shop, parked her inside overnight to thaw out. the last stretch of gravel (snow) road was a struggle to get thru...you could not tell i drove thru there an hour earlier....schools all closed. called my boss and told him i may not make it into work....

monday, snow is over the fenceposts this morning. cant even tell that we plowed the driveway. huge drifts. called into work, told them i aint making it in.
SNOW DAY!!!! :D
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby hessmess » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:28 pm

Wow! Made me tired just reading about that adventure
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 173 times

Postby DSUZU » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:59 pm

Hmmm. That story makes my (recent, within a couple of weeks) 100 degree + heat index almost bearable. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 975 times

Postby 93trooperpooper » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:53 am

last tuesday it was 23*c....yesterday it was -10*c....
yup, if you dont like the weather, wait 5 minutes.... :lol:
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby DSUZU » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:45 pm

About the same thing we say, although even 23 degrees is something we won't see. Currently under hurricane warning (and tornados).
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 975 times

Postby 93trooperpooper » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:39 pm

may have a broken locking hub pass front. i was pulling a car out for my kid, (thats another story :x ) we dug our way into it thru 2 -3 feet of snow, the atv wouldnt budge it, so i grabbed brenda and gave it all she had, slid sideways and caved in the pass side doors, :blackeye: then was stuck on polished snow, so i kept slamming it back and forth, reverse to low, rocking it hard until she dug down to dirt, finally pulling the car free from its snowed-in home.

it drove fine after, but i didnt go far with it. wife did a dump run and said it was really noisy, like the lifters or low on oil...oil was between the dots, fired right up, no lifter tick...
my son had to use a cresent wrench to unlock the pass side hub....so yeah, maybe it piled up when i was rocking it back and forth, engine bumping off the rev limiter while slamming gears :roll:
oops :blackeye:
i have had issues before with that hub.
i have 2 new ones in a box upstairs.

but i pulled that car out- with a few battle scars to boot! :lol:
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:26 pm

did hear an odd ticking that goes up and down with the rpms....didnt sound like lifters, but i was over on the oil change, so i changed the engine oil and filter.
spun the pass side axle, can hear and feel a click.....no noise from the drivers side....will pull the hubs tomorrow and check them.
power sterring pump is leaking as well- actually for awhile now....not sure if its the pump shaft seal, or just a hose....
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:10 am

the ticking/ clicking is not always present, its not the axles , not a deep ''thunk'' like a rod, its like lifters, faster paced noise, but not consistent :x you can rev it up , no noise, start driving, come to a stop and its ticking....oil pressure is good....drive again the same way, come to a stop, and no ticking.....grrrr
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:50 pm

well well had some words with the last guy that worked on it...that would have been myself.....drivers rear upper shock bolt was missing, the shock flopping around, banging on stuff...that would explain the random clunk over bumps, and the crappy handling fom the rear.... :oops:
grabbed a some hardware from the bolt bin, re-attached the shock....checked the other one, and sure enough the top nut and bolt was not very tight.....whoops.....

then onto the locking hubs on the front....pulled them apart, cleaned and lubed them....torqued all the bolts, and the hubs turn easily from unlock to lock rather easily now, and work properly...they did before, but were really hard to turn...

put on the stethoscope, and listened to the engine....can hear injectors and lifters and what-not, but no random ticking.....took it for a drive, went back in the shop, still no random ticking..... :x

greased the driveline as well.

hard to diagnose when the problem (noise) wont present itself..... :roll:
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby sno » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:50 pm

Had some lifter noise like your describing but less intermittent, some seafoam im the crankcase 100km prior to an oil change or some high detergent 0w30 as in that Isuzu TSB seems to bring down the valve train noise on my 93, may not be the fix for yours but thought id mention
Current Vehicles:

'Tippy': 1993 Isuzu Trooper LS: 4x4/Automatic/DOHC/limited slip diff/2" lift/250,000+KM. Daily driven. Owned by my parents since new, my childhood family car. Rescued from sitting in a field summer 2019. https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 5&t=142671

'The parts rig': 1993 Isuzu Trooper: 4x4/Manual/SOHC/324,000 Km. Runs too well to actually start parting out. Manual swap donor in the event of 4l30e failure

2011 Honda Accord 3.5L V6: 6 speed manual/HFP trim kit/HFP coilovers/19" wheels/magnaflow exhaust/cat delete/short ram intake/
sno
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:11 pm

might do a diesel flush on it. had to add another liter of oil, bought rotella 15/40 and dumped that in.

i have had other issues come up, that warrants their attention first, so its been the bare minimum done when it comes to any of my vehicles.... :(
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:31 am

changed the rad cap, to one mentioned by another forum member. way better seal. but wifey says it still '' gurgles'' when shut down... :roll: it doesnt draw the coolant from the recovery tank, i have checked the rad and its low, top up rad, drive for a few weeks, recovery tank at the same level, but rad low again.....new rad, everything was completely flushed, recovery tank & hoses cleaned ...... it is most likely needing headgaskets, but its still the point where coolant is still cheaper....until it loads a cylinder and bends a rod :shock:
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:15 am

i heard the gurgling almost every time i shut the engine off while in town saturday....even popped the hood, could see surging in the overflow tank, but not coolant, just air... :?
before going to town, i noticed a wet spot on the ground at home...coolant leak at the oil filter/ oil cooler...it was -20*c overnight...plus evidence of coolant spray on the timing belt covers.... :roll: after warmed up there was no noticeable leak..
almost due for an oil change, i will check those hoses and clamps at that time
too much broken down $hit in my shop, cant make any extra room for the trooper....plus i am getting tired of having to fix everything all the time, dealing with bs at work and at home ugh mentally tired
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:15 pm

put in the shop yesterday, today i leak-tested the cooling system.....rad was low, (nothing over the cores) and the coolant overflow tank was almost full... :? it keeps doing that. even with the new ''subie'' cap on the rad, it will not suck out of the overflow tank....the tank isnt plugged, the lines are good...but maybe the line has failed? a soft spot that sucks flat? will double check the hose... :blackeye:
the pressure test held fine, 15 psi no dropping for 45 minutes, no random drips....
checked the engine oil, thats fine...for a change, it DIDNT need oil.
tire psi was good as well
cleaned some junk out of the interior

i hate it when you have a random leak, but go to test for it and there is NOTHING :x must have been the damn cold.... :roll:
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:53 pm

changed engine oil & filter. removed egr valve, cleaned out passages with small round wire brushes, cleaned the egr valve itself, blew everything out, egr tested good with vac pump, bolted back on with lots of anti-seize on the bolts/ flange nut...had a odd idle loping, but no codes.....the egr/ ports were fairly sooty....
*looks* like the pass front caliper might be leaking, no drips, but its damp/ old fluid on the inside of the tire....will inspect further when i rotate the tires....fluid isnt low in the master cylinder, brakes still work great...
oh and the rad was low again.... :roll:
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

PreviousNext