90 Trooper S, aka Suzicon

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

90 Trooper S, aka Suzicon

Postby Drifter99 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:10 pm

Trying my hand at attaching a picture after reading the "how to".
This is Suzicon, a 90 Trooper S 2.6 that I just got last week for free.

[img][IMG]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33/viacruc/Suzicon/20160417_Trooper1.jpg[/img][/img]
90' Trooper LS, 2.6L, 5-spd.
Mods: DIY HD TRE's, Rugged Ridge Manual Locking Hubs, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, Jerry Cam, Big Brake upgrade, Cragar D-Window wheels
Wants: Roof basket, new tires, winch bumper
https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.p ... on#p766328
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 8 times

Sponsor

Re: 90 Trooper S, aka Suzicon

Postby Drifter99 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:08 pm

OK - I tried the link to Photobucket procedure and while the photo is accessible, I'd rather have the photo appear directly on the page rather than just a link.
20160417_Trooper1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mods: DIY HD TRE's, Rugged Ridge Manual Locking Hubs, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, Jerry Cam, Big Brake upgrade, Cragar D-Window wheels
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Postby DSUZU » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:49 pm

SCORE!!!!!!!!!. You're fairly new. Welcome to the Planet. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
Drifter99
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 984 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:18 pm

Free is good! Did you get a chance to dig into it yet? I'm assuming it's not running or did you score on that as well??

You'll find a wealth of info here on the care and feeding of ZuZu's, and plenty of good advice on repairs/troubleshooting.

Welcome to the Planet, we can always use more Warsh-in-tonians here! :twisted:
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 408 times

Postby Drifter99 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Ed Mc. wrote:Free is good! Did you get a chance to dig into it yet? I'm assuming it's not running or did you score on that as well??

You'll find a wealth of info here on the care and feeding of ZuZu's, and plenty of good advice on repairs/troubleshooting.

Welcome to the Planet, we can always use more Warsh-in-tonians here! :twisted:

Thanks very much. I have been reading quite a bit of the threads lately. Lots of great knowledge and seems like a great bunch of people. I've even already ordered my first parts from Jerry Lemond (a shift boot and dust cover set).
To answer your questions, it does run but is very rough. It sat for 2 years in the ex-owners driveway (just thankful not in a field, which common around here). I've found lots of unplugged and old vacuum lines which I'm in process to replace. The battery was dead so I replaced that with a new Interstate battery from Costco (screamin deal btw at Costco for $78.xx). Also replaced the battery hold-down with an aftermarket unit due to extreme rust an corrosion of the OE hold down.
Also did a thorough vacuuming and cleaning last weekend when it arrived. This weekend she gets a new fuel filter and an oil change and I'll see how she runs. Spark plugs, ign cap and rotor, and wires all look new.
I like the fact that I can drain the old gas out through the fuel tank drain plug. A lot of vehicles don't offer that feature. I suspect I may have to drop the tank and replace the pump and strainer in the near future.
This really looks to be a fun and educational project and I look forward hitting the trails in the near future.
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Postby Ed Mc. » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:45 pm

You might consider a valve adjustment as part of your tuneup. The 4ZE1 engine has screw-type adjusters on the rocker arms, and the exhaust valves, in particular, will get purty tight and might burn if not adjusted at regular intervals. Easy to do, just pop the valve cover and bump the engine over until the rocker arm for the valve you want to adjust is on the "base circle" of its camshaft lobe. There is a way to set up the cam so that you can adjust alternate valves then rotate one turn and do the others, but I prefer to start front-to-back, it's easier for me to keep track of where I'm at. Whatever works for you.

You'll find lots of features on these that will surprise you! They are a very solid and well-made rig. Compare to a Jeep Cherokee of similar vintage, for example, and there is no comparison in chassis rigidity, rattles inside, etc. Even stock they are very trail-capable.

There is a way to pull the fuel pump without dropping the tank, if you ever do need to; you can cut a patch out of the floor, directly above the pump, which makes R&R of the pump a simple task. Just remount the patch with some flat bar or similar tabs so it's removable. Or, find a wreck and cut a patch which would overlap the original hole. Even easier.

And yeah, Costco does have good batteries with xclnt guarantee. My good buddy has several classic cars and a boat. All of them are tough on batteries 'cause they don't get used every day. He says the Costco batteries, by far, hold up better than any others. I used to think Diehards were good batteries but their quality has really gone downhill in the last 10 years or so.

Have Fun!............ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !

For this post the author Ed Mc. was thanked by:
Drifter99
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby Drifter99 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:59 pm

So my wheeling buddy from California sent these in the mail to me yesterday. NoLoss valve caps from extremeoutback.com. Basically these schrader valve caps are guaranteed to never come off the valve. Always good to keep the dust out of the valves. Suzicons first "upgrade".
20160420_180538.jpg

20160422_185807.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Postby Drifter99 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:11 pm

Ed - funny you should mention Jeep Cherokee as that was what I was shopping for when this Trooper fell in my lap. My co-worker heard I was looking for a 4WD project and practically begged me to drag the Isuzu away cuz her daughter didn't want it for her first car and they were about to donate it to a charity organization. The previous weekend I had gone out to Whidbey Island to look at a Cherokee but declined due to $$. Man, I'm so happy I took her up on the free Trooper.
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Postby Ed Mc. » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Well, it sounds like his daughter's loss!

Another friend of mine had a Cherokee years ago and one time we drove somewhere in it. I couldn't believe how much more solid my old Trooper felt. The Cherokee is long-gone but I still have my Trooper and ain't getting rid of it any time soon!
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby Drifter99 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:00 am

So I did my first big deap-dive into the Trooper today. Replaced the fuel filter and the fuel lines, Replaced all of the underhood vacuum lines (man were they in bad shape), changed the oil and filter, checked the ignition parts (cap, rotor, plug wires, & plugs). All the ignition parts were in like-new condition but all 4 spark plugs were loose in the head. I pulled them all out and regapped them for good measure and crimped down the threaded tip (which were all loose).

I then started the engine and it was still a bit rough but not as bad as the day I brought it home. It will not hold an idle and I have to keep revving it a bit just to keep it running. I was able to drive it around the property in first gear a little but it still has a sickly sound. Looks like I will definitely be doing a valve adjustment and also a compression test. At least now I can drive it in and out of the shop when I need to.
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Postby Ed Mc. » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:17 am

If you take a hard look at the throttle body, you'll find an adjusting screw for idle speed. Until you get to the root of the problem, you could at least jack up the idle speed a bit so it doesn't die on you.
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !

Drifter99
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby Drifter99 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:59 am

Another deep dive session with the Trooper tonight. Since the engine is still running rough, i thought I'd start checking some things and start eliminating what's good and add to the list of repairs of what needs attention.
My goal tonight was to thoroughly test the ignition system, recheck vacuum lines, check EGR function, check PCV valve condition plus clean it, and finally, do a pre-valve adjustment compression test. Here's what I found.

Ignition system - pulled the ign cap and rotor and inspected. They have very minor wear on the contacts and are in good shape. They don't need replacing at this time. Checked resistance between all cap contacts and the spark plug ends of the spark plug wires and they are all about 6000 ohms which is way below the 9000-12000 ohm range the manual calls for. Checked the primary and secondary sides of the coil and they are in spec as well. Coil is good. Overall the ignition system checks out. I have to say though, personally speaking, I'm not a fan of Autolite spark plugs which are what the last owner installed. I'll be swapping those out later for some NGK's or Denso's.
20160426_202634.jpg

From left to right they are in ascending order, 1 2 3 4. #3 and #4 look really rich compared to 1 and 2.

Vacumm line recheck - I'm glad I did this. I missed one that goes between the top of the fuel pressure regulator and a vacuum switching valve on the passenger fender well area. In the picture you'll see a cap on the end of a vacuum hard line because the nipple on the upper vacuum switching valve has broken off. :cry: Now I gotta figure out where to get one of these vacuum switching valves.
20160426_185419.jpg

20160426_185544.jpg

EGR function - The EGR seems to be in decent shape. Its a bit old but still seems to function. I pushed on the back side of the EGR and it moves up and down the shaft fine. I though a vacuum pump on it and it held vacuum when I pumped it a few times. I could probably stand to clean out the port below the base but will attack that later. It seems functional for now.

PCV valve - Pulled it off, shook it up and down and it rattles like its supposed to. Took some carb cleaner and hosed it out good. Re-installed. Hose between PCV and intake is in good shape too.

Pre-valve adjustment compression test - Here is where I made my biggest discovery so far. I pulled all the plugs, wedged open the throttle body, disconnected the igntion, and removed the fuel pump relay. Per recommendations from others in this forum, I ran the compression test 3 times in each cylinder. Results are as follows:
Cyl 1 - 180
Cyl 2 - 145
Cyl 3 - 35 (yep, you read it right!)
Cyl 4 - 30 (once again, not a joke!)

So it looks like I only have 2 cylinders functioning at the moment. No wonder it smelled really rich when I had the engine running! And I can see why it wouldn't hold an idle too.
My gut says I have some stuck valves but I'm still going to do the valve adjustment anyway and recheck compression. Heck, I need the practice since its needed about every 12K miles or so.
Well, thats all for tonight. Gonna pick up a valve cover gasket kit this weekend and dive into it some more.

Peace everybody :)

Paul
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Postby Ed Mc. » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:08 am

I'd bet on a blown head gasket between the 2 cylinders, but it's also very common to have burnt valves.

Guess we'll see once you pull the head, eh? Note that the I-Tec intake manifold is virtually impossible to pull with the head in place. Easier to pull the manifold with the head. In fact, you can leave the exhaust manfold in place as well, disconnecting EGR crossover pipe & the exhaust downpipe. But most folks will pull the exh. man before yanking the rest out.

Pull the hood and use an engine hoist or 2 strong bodies to lift the head/man assy straight out. It's quite unwieldy and better to use a hoist, come-a-long or similar.

G'luck & post some pics of the autopsy...........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby Drifter99 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:59 am

Ed - is it sort of common on these 2.6's to have a blown head gasket but not have oil mix with the coolant? When I drained my oil last weekend it didn't indicate coolant mixed with oil. Also, after I put in fresh oil and restarted the engine and drove it around the property for a few minutes, the dipstick still indicated clear oil. Looking in the radiator the coolant mix looked pretty normal.
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Postby Ed Mc. » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:21 pm

Drifter99 wrote:Ed - is it sort of common on these 2.6's to have a blown head gasket but not have oil mix with the coolant?

Yup, quite often you'll see the head gasket blown between 2 cylinders, where they overlap on each other. There are no fluids being sealed by the fire rings at that point, so what happens is the the 2 cylinders pump air/fuel/exhaust to each other. There was a recent thread with an extreme case of this, it ran so long that the cylinder head was cut by the hot exhaust gasses passing back & forth.

In most cases you won't see that happen, and the head is typically serviceable. You still have some compression on the adjacent cylinders, so maybe the leak is small.

Or maybe it's just 2 burnt exhaust valves, it could happen!

I'm still betting on a blown gasket..............ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby Drifter99 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:06 am

So today I installed the new replacement shift boot I received from Jerry Lemond. The previous owner had decided that replacing it with a sports car shift boot was better than the OE boot. I whole-heartedly disagree.
20160428_153648.jpg

Looks like duct tape and good intentions didn't work this time
20160428_154115.jpg

With duct tape removed we reveal completely boogered up OE shift boot
20160428_154536.jpg

The dust boot is now installed. Thanks for the advice on boiling the dust cover and using dish soap for installation Jerry!
20160428_162223.jpg

Done! New shift boot is installed and ready for another 166K miles or more.
20160428_165158.jpg
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Postby Drifter99 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:40 pm

Finally got around to doing the valve adjustment which provided no drama but was a good exercise anyway. I followed Johnny 5's video on valve adjustment procedures and did half the valves and then spun the crank another revolution and did the other 4. Pretty straight forward.

I also redid the compression test and unfortunately its pointing to a bad head gasket or something of that nature. The post valve adjustment compression stayed the same as before the valve adjust. Oh well. Looks like a cylinder head R&R is in my near future.

I see from other posts on this sight that people have purchased cylinder heads from Clearwater Cylinder Heads out of Florida. Are they still in business? I tried to go to their website (http://www.cylinder-heads.com) and the page comes up blank. I think on eBay its called Odessa Cylinder Head now. Anybody have opinions on Odessa or any other cylinder head suppliers?

Thanks,

-Paul
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Postby Ed Mc. » Mon May 09, 2016 10:22 pm

It might be a good idea to stay away from them for the time being. Looks like their website has lapsed or been suspended. I'm starting to worry now 'cause I just completed a cyl head R&R on a '89 Tracker with one of their rebuilds! The head looked OK and so far is working well, but am probably gonna be screwed if there are any warranty issues down the road. I should have checked them out better, they have a rating of "F" with the BBB.

At any rate, these guys in Oregon have been around for a long time and are reputable: http://www.aluminumheads.com

A friend of mine bought a new head from them some years ago for his Trooper and it worked well.

They offer brand new head castings with valves for $399: http://www.aluminumheads.com/newheadcast.html

Highly recommend using the Isuzu OEM head gasket. It holds up better than any other. If you must use aftermarket, get Fel-Pro. Contact Jerry Lemond (user name at this site: JLEMOND ) for the OEM part.

Or you may get "lucky" and it's "only" a blown head gasket, in that case check the head carefully for cracks, have it machined for flatness, and reinstall. Chase out the head bolt holes in the block with a 12mmx1.50mm bottoming tap; blow out with compressed air/carb cleaner/etc. Use a wide razor-blade-type scraper, it'll do a great job cleaning the crud off the block, & cheap at your local Walmart in the paint section.

I picked up a tube of ARP Ultra Torque Assembly Lube, you spread it on the head bolt threads and on the washer where it contacts the bolt head. This stuff is great, all the bolts thread down easy and torque nice & consistent.

Under $10 on eBay and well worth it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162032720709?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

If you find a couple of burnt valves, and you have a reasonably-priced machine shop in the area, it might be feasible to rebuild the head. My experience many years ago on a 2.6 spacecab head was that it cost way more to rebuild it than I could have bought new. And a lot of time spent on my part chasing parts. Just my $.02.

Let us know what you find when you break it open.......ed

p.s. stay away from "remanufactured" Isuzu heads, there's no way to guarantee they haven't been welded-upon.

Any cracked Isuzu head that has been weld-repaired WILL crack sometime in the future!
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !

Ed Mc. was thanked by:
1GTrooperWannaBDrifter99
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby Drifter99 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:08 am

Ed - thanks for all the great info. I'm gonna need it tackling this head R&R. Nice to know there's a reputible shop out here in the NW. Plus cheaper shipping fees going from OR to WA.
I actually have a tube of the ARP assembly lube already from a previous Chevy small block build some years back. You're right, very good stuff. And allows for accurate head torque.
What's your opinion on picking up a new head with valves and then transferring the rocker assy and cam over to the new head? I did a quick check at aluminum heads.com and they offer a new head with valves for $399 but I don't think it comes with the rocker assy and cam.

Thanks again for the tip on the crack-repaired heads. I've never really trusted welded heads anyway. Especially aluminum.

I'll post some pics of the head when I get it removed and on the bench.

Paul
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Postby Ed Mc. » Tue May 10, 2016 1:55 am

Drifter99 wrote:What's your opinion on picking up a new head with valves and then transferring the rocker assy and cam over to the new head? I did a quick check at aluminum heads.com and they offer a new head with valves for $399 but I don't think it comes with the rocker assy and cam.

If your old rocker arms/shaft aren't worn, there's no reason you couldn't re-use them. Most times there are no issues with the rocker arms' lash pads, rocker shafts, or the camshaft, as long as the upper-end was oiling well and oil changed regularly.

Rockauto.com has the rocker arms for $8.85 each, and rocker shafts for around $21 each, if you need 'em. Note that the rocker shafts are specific as to intake/exhaust, but the rocker arms themselves are all the same.

Speaking of camshafts, this might be a good opportunity to "cam up" since Jerry Lemond has worked out a much-improved cam grind for the 4-cyl. There's a recent thread on the "Jerry Cam" as it's being called.

This cam thread has been ongoing for a couple of years now, so you'll be able to see the real-world improvement the cam makes:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79422&hilit=jerry+cam

An upgraded exhaust (newer-style cat and 2-1/4" piping with turbo-style muffler) along with the cam will really wake up the ol' 4-cyl.
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !

Drifter99
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby Drifter99 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Ed,
I just read the entire 4 pages of the "Jerry Cam" thread. So correct me if I'm wrong, with the new cam you DO NOT need the elephant foot adjusters? It should work with the stock adjusters, rocker arms, etc?
All in all, its sounds like a great way to go.
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Postby Ed Mc. » Tue May 10, 2016 5:20 pm

Drifter99 wrote:Ed,
I just read the entire 4 pages of the "Jerry Cam" thread. So correct me if I'm wrong, with the new cam you DO NOT need the elephant foot adjusters? It should work with the stock adjusters, rocker arms, etc?
All in all, its sounds like a great way to go.

Jerry's comment on the last page indicated that about "90 percent" of users were able to get a good adjustment with the standard rocker arm adjusting screw.

If for some reason the valve geometry were a bit off, it'd be better to pick up a set of the EMPI lash caps mentioned in that thread. These fit over the existing valve stem and correct the valve geometry.

When you assemble the rocker arms, you can test-fit one rocker and see if it works. It'll be obvious if the geometry is off, you'll have to screw the adjuster way down and the angle between the end of the screw and the valve stem will be extreme.

The thickness of the lash cap makes it so that you don't have to screw the adjuster down as far, which improves the angle between screw and valve, and causes the contact area between screw/stem to be more centered on the stem/cap.

Years ago I tried a Delta Cams "260" grind in my 2.6 Spacecab pickup. Had to use lash caps to get the adjustment right. Got 'em from Jerry, they were off an Isuzu diesel. The EMPI caps are cheap and readily available if you need 'em. BTW, I wasn't impressed with the 260 grind, it did have a ton of low-end torque, like a V6. But wasn't very streetable as the midrange/top-end power was weak. If you were only going to trail the rig, it'd be a great cam, though. Pulled like a tractor. I didn't like it for the street, and went back to the stock cam.

On the other hand, the "260" grind works great in a 2.3. Lots of power all over the place. But then you're putting a "bumpy" cam in a smaller-displacement engine. Such that a cam that's "mild" in a 2.6 is "radical" in the smaller 2.3.

Jerry's grind is the best of all worlds, 'cause it improves power/torque in the band most used. If I ever find a good deal on an automatic 2.6 Trooper, I might grab it and do the cam/exhaust mods. My daughter can't drive stick, so it would be good to have a peppy spare kicking around that she could drive when it snows.

Cheers.........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !

Drifter99
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby Ed Mc. » Mon May 16, 2016 2:48 am

Here's a 2.6 '89 Trooper for $500 in Port Angeles, needs a clutch. You must add to your stable of ZuZu!!!! :twisted:

https://olympic.craigslist.org/cto/5581752745.html
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby Drifter99 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:22 pm

Hey Ed, I saw that one and man I wish I could snag it just to have a spare for parts. But can't do it at the moment. So cheap too... :cry:
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Postby Drifter99 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:27 am

I spent a fair amount of time over the weekend disassembling the top of the engine in preparation to pull the cylinder head. Unfortunately, I have broken the power steering bracket into two pieces. :cry: I guess the lower part of the bracket was fatigued over the years and finally gave out. Anyways, I'm on the hunt for one of those as well. If anyone knows where I can source a used P/S pump bracket, I'd be glad to hear from you. Thanks.
20160530_151445.jpg
Drifter99
Drives in Mud

Next