Isuzu SUV Forum banner

'90 Amigo "Sanchez" build thread

18K views 57 replies 13 participants last post by  superman27344 
#1 ·
Ok, gonna start this out by saying that this build will be a L-O-N-G process. This truck has been neglected and will need a lot of TLC. Lou and I have already made lists upon lists of things to do to it, with #1 being to get it cleaned up and #2 being doing a compression test. Other mods will come soon after......stay tuned! :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Just some extra pics so you can see what we'll be up to. The inside has bed liner sprayed in so that's a plus. We're thinking about getting seats, maybe from a Rodeo or newer Trooper to replace the front seats. They are just flat worn out and pretty stained up. The back seat we may reupholster since it can be tricky to find those sometimes, leary of ditching it. The soft top seems to be in decent shape other than one tear in the back window (which for now is Gorilla Tape fixed) and a few places where the snaps are starting to wear through. Engine wise, we'll be going over the whole thing pretty thoroughly, eliminating some things to make the bay easier to work in (smog pump, etc). A/C doesn't work but going to eliminate that too since it will be strictly an offroad toy.

Attachments

#3 ·
Second day of cleaning the Amigo. Only got the seats out and back half done. Puple power is a wonderful thing :D

Also got some scary wiring taken care of (bare, hot wires wrapped only in electrical tape at the connections). Took out some of the A/C components since that's not going back in. Removed the off-road lights from the bumper and for now, took out the extra electric fan (that was held on my one bolt). Just overall taking off stuff that either won't go back on or that NEEDED to come off.

Attachments

#6 ·
superman27344 said:
I believe this coming weekend the weather should be cooler so while Kate works more on the interior, I will be getting started doing more under the hood.
What, you mean you don't find 96 degree weather with a heat index of 100+ to be ideal working conditions? :roll:

Jonathan

#7 ·
Seats from a 1st gen Rodeo up to '97 bolt right in-- no mods necessary. Pick n Pulls have a lot of them. As for the back seat??? I've got one off Esmerelda :) . Kinda hard to use a back seat when you've got a cab divider in it. The upholstery is great. It's got some minor rust issues on the bottom pan, but nothing that Krylon can't fix.

#9 ·
Ssiggy said:
Seats from a 1st gen Rodeo up to '97 bolt right in-- no mods necessary. Pick n Pulls have a lot of them. As for the back seat??? I've got one off Esmerelda :) . Kinda hard to use a back seat when you've got a cab divider in it. The upholstery is great. It's got some minor rust issues on the bottom pan, but nothing that Krylon can't fix.
That's awesome Scott, definitely interested in that back seat. I got no probs with a little Krylon fixin'. Get with Lou or I and we'll discuss :)

#10 ·
Glad to see you are keeping it alive. Looks like a fun proyect :thumbleft:

Reactions: troopergal00
#11 ·
superman27344 said:
shaggydoink said:
What, you mean you don't find 96 degree weather with a heat index of 100+ to be ideal working conditions? :roll:

Jonathan
I am too fat for the heat my friend.
You're welcome to come over and sweat it out helping us Shaggy!! :D

#12 ·
Finally finished up the deep clean on Sanchez this weekend. Sprayed in a new layer of bed liner to cover some worn spots and cracking and got the dash cleaned up.

Attachments

#13 ·
Also repainted the wiper arms and trim piece under the wipers. Compared to the rusty mess it was before, it looks amazing!

Attachments

#15 ·
I thought that's what this post bump was..........turns out it's just stupid Lou......I'm glad ur not this big of a disappointment in the sack.

#16 ·
The pics were taken on your phone I so haven't thought about it. Feel free to update my build thread with those sweetie pie :p
And Jamesy, please keep you and my husband's bedroom activities on the DL please, I have to save some face in light of the fact that he prefers you :cry:

#17 ·
As per my wife's request, here are the pics of the donor vehicle we picked up to help with some of the issues Sanchez has.

Attachments

#19 ·
Chevy badge :shock: :lol:

Whats parts you planning to pick off it?

#20 ·
Sanchez needs quite a few parts off of it already, and the rest I will probably just strip down and put in storage before sending the picked clean carcass to the scrap yard. I am thinking about saving the engine since its a 3.1 v6 and rebuilding it for an eventual transplant into my Trooper, that is unless Kate decides she wants it for Sanchez.

#21 ·
I'm not sure what the future hold for that motor. I guess we'll see how Sanchez feels once we get her out on the trails. I know you're jonesing to put something bigger in the Armadillo though :) Either way, it will be cleaned up and saved for either one it winds up in.

#22 ·
Bore it, build it, shove it............into the trooper. The amigo is alot lighter & should be packed with 4:56s it's the better canidate for the 4banger. A shame niether amigo nets you the big windows, but atleast you've got a hard top for Sanchez now too ontop of all the little bits.

#23 ·
AFAIK, it is supposed to be simple to convert to big windows. Personally, I like my little vent windows - even though I never use them. Dennis

#24 ·
Yea it's not too hard to swap, but you've got to have all the hardware. The track from the quarter window setup doesn't properly support the full size glass.....Or if body color matches, or one doesn't care swap the whole door.

ur right it's also a matter of personal taste/preferance......I'll take the big window door all day every day, I like the mirror much better. It's bigger, & the glass moves in the housing not all 1 piece, my all 1 piece spacer mirrors are heavily affected by the wind.....most importantly tho with the big window.....there's no little triangle window to worry about sealing.

#25 ·
troopergal00 said:
I'm not sure what the future hold for that motor. I guess we'll see how Sanchez feels once we get her out on the trails.
I've noticed that Zoe's Trooper with the 2.8L does a little better in some instances than my 2.6L out on the trails - rocky or rutting hill climbs in particular - although part of that might just be because she's a better driver than me. :D Are you bringing Sanchez out to the fall gathering next week??

Jonathan

#26 ·
I just realized that I only put the pics of the new seats and console on facebook but not on here. These were put a couple of months ago but better late than never. Hopefully with Lou being off for a few weeks over the holidays he can get Sanchez closer to being drive-able again.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.