97 Passport Budget Build

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

97 Passport Budget Build

Postby Ian1006 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:45 pm

Hello!

Just joined a little while ago and thought it was time to start posting. Have been lurking for about 3 weeks now and just got a 97 Honda Passport EX about two weeks ago. There was a 94 Passport I was driving around in for a while and liked it so I decided to find one for myself! Found a guy off of Craigslist and traded him my 97 Accord for his Passport, and got 400 cash and a spare set of alloys with new studded snow tires on them. The truck has something like 170k miles but the engine which was swapped at a shop has closer to 90k on it (have receipts too!). Anyways on to the pics!

You might be able to see in the first picture the primer on the roof in the front...The previous owner somehow managed to let a couple of rust spots start peeling the paint. I was able to catch it before the window track, and before it went too deep. I sanded it down to bare metal and removed almost all of the pitting and then used a cold galvanizing zinc spray on all the bare metal and then primed it, final solution will be to Herculine it as well as a "bug deflector" on the hood also with Herculiner.

The tires are 245/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT. I would like a matching one for the rear but they are spendy little tires and I would rather get a set of Treadwrights in a 31x10.5 on some Snowflakes I am thinking about swapping on, (I have two full sets and the 94 Passport I was driving has Snowflakes). I have a roof rack too but want to Herculine underneath the rails before I mount it to resist scuffing the paint down to metal.

This is where I get to play:

I just finished draining the front and rear differentials, transfer case, and will be changing the auto tranny fluid with new filter this week. I have been doing some searching on the procedure but any more advice is appreciated. Going to also hopefully swap in some new valve cover gaskets as these are leaking straight onto the exhaust and then adding new belts. Have some new ball joints and tie rods that will be going on sometime soon as well.

Funds are limited right now so I will be doing the torsion bar crank, ball joint flip, and making my own rear shackles...was going to buy some off Indy4x but I found some 1/2 thick steal flat bar that is an inch and a half wide. Here is the start:

I cut them out today and used the same zinc spray and then primered them and going to pick up some black or some other color paint this week with hardware. Pretty sure the hardware store down the street has grade 8 hardware 6 inches long in the 18mm size I am looking for.

Needs to be cleaned inside and out and a bunch of little things that will come as time goes on. I also pulled off the rear tow package that I will be adding to the classifieds section soon.

Thats about it for right now... I am planning on hitting up some property for some mild offroading that is up the road from me as well the Wild Bill Trail that was ranked in the top 10 by BFG tires in 08 and is about 10 miles from me! There is probably more I forgot to say but here goes my super budget build!

Ian
Last edited by Ian1006 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97 Honda Passport EX Auto to Manual Converted
G80 Dana 44
TreadWright Guard Dogs 265/70/16 on Snowflakes w/ matching spare
Sensa-trac shocks
Aisin Manual hub conversion
Lifted 2 inches front / add a leaf and custom shackles for 3 inches rear
DIY tie rod protectors
5W40 Rotella T6 / Wix filters

Build thread: https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51622
Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 11 times

Sponsor

Postby 94Rodayo4x4 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:42 pm

Beautiful Silver Passport. My dream car until the little bugger in my sig found me :lol: :wink:

Welcome to Planet Isuzoo
Taylor H.
1994 Isuzu Rodeo S, MUA5, 4WD, V6, 31's- Sold :( Rest In Peace, Ticking Green Beast!
1999 4Runner Sport, V6, Auto, 4WD, E-Locker, 3" Lift, 33" BFG AT KO2's, Custom Roof Rack, PIAA's, more to come
94Rodayo4x4
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby Ian1006 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:23 am

Thank you. I am very brand loyal to Honda, even if its only a badge and the rest is Isuzu, I am funny like that. 6th Honda I have owned and not another brand, so I continue my history with Honda.
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby 94Rodayo4x4 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:29 am

That was my initial reason for wanting a Zu. My dad builds Honda's, and I knew the Passport was the same as a Rodeo so off I went searching. and then my Rodeo popped up for a deal i couldn't pass up.

(Won't stop me from adding some badges maybe :lol: )

I always liked the silver, all painted up. Looks like a very modern SUV, especially being a 97 with the newer interior.

enjoy her, she would be a dream if i had her.

btw: my family owns 3 honda's. 94 Accord (245k) 08 Accord, and an o5 Acura MDX. :lol:

You ever owned a civic 93-09 my dad built it! as well as elements and cr-v's :)
Taylor H.
1994 Isuzu Rodeo S, MUA5, 4WD, V6, 31's- Sold :( Rest In Peace, Ticking Green Beast!
1999 4Runner Sport, V6, Auto, 4WD, E-Locker, 3" Lift, 33" BFG AT KO2's, Custom Roof Rack, PIAA's, more to come
94Rodayo4x4
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby RamAirZ » Sun May 01, 2011 12:27 pm

Ian1006 wrote:Thank you. I am very brand loyal to Honda, even if its only a badge and the rest is Isuzu, I am funny like that. 6th Honda I have owned and not another brand, so I continue my history with Honda.

LOL keep telling yourself that :lol: Great looking Passport man, can't wait to see how the mods come along and I LOVE that workshop. Hoping to build a nice shop for myself at my next house
Current: 2004 GMC Sierra- slightly modded, baja style :twisted:
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport- 3.5 swap, 3.5" lift, 32's, LED pods, custom exhaust
Previous: 1999 Isuzu Vehicross/1997 Isuzu Rodeo/ 1995 Honda Passport
RamAirZ
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 29 times

Postby Ian1006 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:01 pm

The workshop is not mine, my wife and I are missionaries at a training base and part of what I do is run the transportation here and fix cars...a lot of 15 passenger vans and trailers. There is a new shop being built right now that will hold up to 6 vehicles at a time, and a new double post lift going in that I will be moving to in August :D

Went for a drive yesterday on the hiway and got a vibration from around 50-70 mph...hoping its just the universal joints and not the center driveshaft support bearing :? If it does end up being that is there a cheap place to pick one up? I would rather not go to the junkyard and pull one...
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby RamAirZ » Sun May 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Ian1006 wrote:The workshop is not mine, my wife and I are missionaries at a training base and part of what I do is run the transportation here and fix cars...a lot of 15 passenger vans and trailers. There is a new shop being built right now that will hold up to 6 vehicles at a time, and a new double post lift going in that I will be moving to in August :D

Went for a drive yesterday on the hiway and got a vibration from around 50-70 mph...hoping its just the universal joints and not the center driveshaft support bearing :? If it does end up being that is there a cheap place to pick one up? I would rather not go to the junkyard and pull one...

rockauto.com has new center bearings. That sounds like a nice new shop they are working on!
Current: 2004 GMC Sierra- slightly modded, baja style :twisted:
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport- 3.5 swap, 3.5" lift, 32's, LED pods, custom exhaust
Previous: 1999 Isuzu Vehicross/1997 Isuzu Rodeo/ 1995 Honda Passport
RamAirZ
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 29 times

Postby Ian1006 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Ill snap some pics of the new shop today...right now its storage for a lot of new equipment but you will get the idea.
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby Ian1006 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Some of the new goodies hoping to put on this week:

Valve cover gaskets, thats going to be fun...

Belts:

Balljoints and tie rod end:

I am looking for two of these roof rack ends, two of mine are missing and dont even know if its a stock roof rack or not...any help would be appreciated:

Oh and a picture of the new compressor for when we move to our bigger location:

G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby Ian1006 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Found some grade 8 hardware today so hoping to lift this Friday or Saturday :)
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby Ian1006 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Threw on the new belts today and put in a new hose for the transmission cooler since it was leaking. Dropped the pans for the tranny and in the process of cleaning off all the gasket material...already took a bath in ATF and its not even filled yet!
Bad news is the carrier bearing is absolutely shot, about 2 inches of movement and the u-joints have play in them...just ordered the bearing and 5 new u-joints :(
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby Ian1006 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Tightened up the steering, had a ton of slop to begin with but now it feels really solid.

The biggest deal was the tranny service I did today, what a pain! first the gaskets were frozen and super hard and decided to stick to the tranny and I spent a couple hours scraping them off. Then filling it was a pain and took a shower in tranny fluid twice, once when it was just level then again when it was running...It only took about 5.5-6 quarts total and I drained both pans, is this normal? I felt the fluid by hand (super accurate I know) and I would say it was around 85-100 degrees and it was just starting to seep out, so I threw the plug back in.

Worst news of the day was Oriellys gave me the wrong outer tie rod end and then ended up having to spend around 150 bucks on all new universal joints for front and rear driveshaft with a new carrier bearing! ouch! But they did give me the right upper and lower ball joints so those are in.

I was also going to throw on the lift shackles I made this past week and then crank the torsion bars tonight but I started in the back and the bolts I got were too long, need 5 inch bolts not 6 inch, looks like another trip to town :( :roll:
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby Ian1006 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Ok, now I am getting ready to just say forget it and go buy the lift shackles off Indy4x...I have 1/2 inch bolts that are an inch too long and when I went to put them in last night I also realized I need 3/4 inch bolts in a 5 inch length...now I have to redrill holes and should buy new bushings. Seems like the lift keeps getting pushed back further and further.
Do it once, do it right huh?
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby 98Issuzu » Sat May 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Ian1006 wrote:Ok, now I am getting ready to just say forget it and go buy the lift shackles off Indy4x...I have 1/2 inch bolts that are an inch too long and when I went to put them in last night I also realized I need 3/4 inch bolts in a 5 inch length...now I have to redrill holes and should buy new bushings. Seems like the lift keeps getting pushed back further and further.

Did you make the holes in the shackles too big? if so, either make new ones (recommended) or just get some washers and weld those on. You can make 10 sets of shackles for the price of buying 1 =/
94 Civic Coupe - JDM H22a
88 Dodge Raider - 35x14.5 Mickey Thompsons - big Custom lift
98 Issuzu Rodeo - 3-4" custom lift, 31's
98Issuzu
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Ian1006 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:06 pm

98Issuzu wrote:
Ian1006 wrote:Ok, now I am getting ready to just say forget it and go buy the lift shackles off Indy4x...I have 1/2 inch bolts that are an inch too long and when I went to put them in last night I also realized I need 3/4 inch bolts in a 5 inch length...now I have to redrill holes and should buy new bushings. Seems like the lift keeps getting pushed back further and further.

Did you make the holes in the shackles too big? if so, either make new ones (recommended) or just get some washers and weld those on. You can make 10 sets of shackles for the price of buying 1 =/

No the bolts I got were too long and they are too skinny, so I need to pick up 3/4 inch bolts (I have 1/2 inch) and get a bit to drill a 3/4 hole to make a bigger hole.
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby Ian1006 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:31 pm

Busy day tomorrow, having a friend do the valve cover gaskets because he has done it before while I do all 5 of the u-joints and carrier bearing...fun fun :roll:
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby Ian1006 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Carrier bearing and the three u joints on the back are done! valve covers are off and we are going to go ahead and replace the spark plug tube seals while we are there, various hoses, and it appears the intake manifold gaskets are leaking so those are also getting fixed. Under the valve covers looks amazing though, someone has kept the oil changed very regularly!
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby Ian1006 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Will post pics later of the dirty truck. Went up to some small mud pits with a stock cherokee and played around. Cherokee got stuck so had to pull him out :) and after all the problems Jeeps have (that I have fixed on just two) I will stick with the passport any day!
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby Ian1006 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Well this is turning out to be me talking to myself ( I know no pictures lately = lame ) But I ended up scrapping the idea of making my own shackles, I went to buy bolts today and they were over 10 a piece plus another 30 bucks for the drill bit I would need...looks like its going to be Indy4x.
Picked up some Herculiner today, hear nothing but good things about it, will post pics of before and after.
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby 98Issuzu » Fri May 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Ian1006 wrote:Well this is turning out to be me talking to myself ( I know no pictures lately = lame ) But I ended up scrapping the idea of making my own shackles, I went to buy bolts today and they were over 10 a piece plus another 30 bucks for the drill bit I would need...looks like its going to be Indy4x.
Picked up some Herculiner today, hear nothing but good things about it, will post pics of before and after.

i used a 4$ drill bit to drill mine, and it works just fine with some lube, which you should be using anyways. Go to an actual bolt place for the bolts. In sudbury, ontario, canada, i go to Rastal Nut and Bolt, but theres also another one here that i could go to. Im sure theres some in your town as well. Usually i get my bolts from 10 cents to a dollar each, depending on the size. Normally the washers/nuts are free with the bolts.
98Issuzu
Mi Amigo

Postby Ian1006 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:11 am

98Issuzu wrote:
Ian1006 wrote:Well this is turning out to be me talking to myself ( I know no pictures lately = lame ) But I ended up scrapping the idea of making my own shackles, I went to buy bolts today and they were over 10 a piece plus another 30 bucks for the drill bit I would need...looks like its going to be Indy4x.

i used a 4$ drill bit to drill mine, and it works just fine with some lube, which you should be using anyways. Go to an actual bolt place for the bolts. In sudbury, ontario, canada, i go to Rastal Nut and Bolt, but theres also another one here that i could go to. Im sure theres some in your town as well. Usually i get my bolts from 10 cents to a dollar each, depending on the size. Normally the washers/nuts are free with the bolts.

I went to hardware stores, auto parts stores, and found everything I need at a specialty bolt store for the grade 8 hardware...but they want about 10 a bolt. Then they want a fortune for the 3/4 drill bit. I use the lube and a drill press when doing the hole so I dont ruin my bits. I did find some grade 5 bolts and nuts for 2 bucks a pop but heard not to use anything but grade 8...opinions?
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby Ian1006 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:26 am

Got a little project going on this weekend with this little can:

And here is a low quality dusk shot of the muddy girl:

And one with the little sister:

Will post pics of the aftermath with the Herculiner, planning on doing a "hood deflector" style stripe and then going over the top front part of the roof and under the roof rack rails. Never seen it on the roof before so hoping it works out ok.
G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby 98Issuzu » Sat May 14, 2011 10:17 am

pm replied.

Your gonna like the herculiner. Its better than most spray on applications.
98Issuzu
Mi Amigo

Postby Ian1006 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Well went up the mountain to check things out and took a quick photo:

And her is the aftermath with the Herculiner, Roof:

Hood:

G80 Dana 44
Sensa-trac shocks
DIY tie rod protectors

Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Postby 98Issuzu » Sat May 14, 2011 9:57 pm

i shoulda added before, to get some spray paint thats the same colour and paint over the herculiner after its good and cured. You still get the protection of the herculiner but it doesnt stick out so much. Thats just my opinion though, and you know what they say about those.
98Issuzu
Mi Amigo

Next