1991 Ivy Green Trooper

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: 1991 Ivy Green Trooper

Postby hessmess » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:07 am

Kind of funny, I have had my Trooper for 5 years now and always had that smell that I couldn’t get totally out. And I had a sag in the headliner that made me remove my hat. When swapping out the windshield last July I decided to pull down the front of the headliner to what was going on. As soon as I got to the area above the drivers seat, bird seed came pouring out. I bet there was several pounds of that and a mouse remains. After I got that taken care of and stuck the shop vac up there, I found the stiffener was turned sideways also. Put it all back together and I no longer had that smell and could wear my hat to boot! Within a couple of days I left on a 2900 mile, 2 week off-roading trip. I was so nice! But when I got home there was a distinct smoke smell from all the fires I encountered while traveling. I am also going to look for an ozone generator as I am gone until March and I bet it will stink again after being closed up for the winter.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 173 times

Sponsor

Postby batman » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:27 am

I left my restored 01 Dakota in an open front garage last summer while I was working on my trooper. I went to move it last week and the battery was dead and the interior was full of mold and mildew. I charged the battery and spent a day cleaning the interior with distilled white vinegar and water. I left my trooper outside after deer season covered with a large tarp. Several months later I untarped it and mold and mildew was everywhere. The white headliner was the worst and I used clorox cleanup on it and distilled white vinegar and water on everything else. I think it's best to just leave vehicles in the sun, live and learn!
batman
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby Duntov » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:23 pm

batman wrote:I posted a reply to Duntov on 10/21 with dimensions, look under fuel pump access panel to view install and dimensions, thanks Batman!

woot woot! Thanks again!
1988 2.6 5-spd Trooper daily driver
1989 2.6 Auto Trooper restoring for kids
https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 5&t=145765
Duntov
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Duntov » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:27 pm

adamwyoung12 wrote:After getting it home and taking some pictures, I removed the carpet in hopes that it would help remove the stench currently filling the cabin.

We had a similar experience, there was zero rust under the nasty carpet! We found dirt cheap rubber matts on amazon (like $39) and we have no plans to put carpet back. Plus, there's something so cool about the painted metal.

What are your plans for replacing headliner? That's typically the hardest car of a car resto!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1988 2.6 5-spd Trooper daily driver
1989 2.6 Auto Trooper restoring for kids
https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 5&t=145765
Duntov
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby batman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:12 pm

A bad smell was the reason I removed my entire interior except the headliner. Most of the smell was coming from the carpet. I trashed the carpet and also was surprised to find absolutely no rust. I vacuumed the floor and wiped it down with a small towel after spraying it with clorox cleanup. I got the new carpet installed last week and the smell is gone. I changed everything to black and it looks like a new vehicle inside. I left the headliner the off white color it came with. I had to clean it a couple of times with clorox cleanup and a small white towel. I had to do it twice because it was so dirty. I was going to spray it black but it is now so clean and leaving it white brightens the whole interior. I removed both dome lights and all the grab handles from the headliner and after looking inside the headliner I would not attempt to replace it. I would take it to a pro. I've replaced headliners in camaros and firebirds and they were just a cardboard cutout with spray adhesive gluing flat vinyl to the cardboard. A trooper's headliner is beyond my skill level. Thanks Batman!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
batman
Loyal P'up

Postby adamwyoung12 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:48 pm

Duntov wrote:What are your plans for replacing headliner? That's typically the hardest car of a car resto!

Well, a local upholstery shop that seemed very knowledgeable on the work required to replace a Trooper headliner quoted $1,100.00 to replace the headliner. Up until I heard the price, I was not considering doing it myself. Once I heard the price, I started to reconsider. The factory workshop manual does have some details on how to replace it. Seems like the hardest part would be removing the windshield, and the two rear windows on the side. I'm also guessing there would be some skill and patience involved making the right cuts and glueing such that there are no visible wrinkles.

Thankfully I'm not in a big hurry to replace it right now. I will continue with the build without one until I decide what to do.
adamwyoung12
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby adamwyoung12 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:54 pm

Ed Mc. wrote:If you have any trouble with lingering odor, I'd recommend treating it with an ozone generator.

Excellent advice! I used an ozone generator to completely remove the cigarette scent from my '04 Tacoma when I bought it. I've heard some say that it doesn't work, but my experience has been that it does. My wife's cousin has one, and I'm hoping he can bring it over on his next trip from Wenatchee.
adamwyoung12
Drives on Gravel

Postby adamwyoung12 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:00 am

batman wrote:I got the new carpet installed last week and the smell is gone.

Where did you get your carpet? How did the installation process go? My local upholstery shop said I should use stockinteriors.com, because that's the site they order from. I ordered some samples for the carpet and headliner that should be arriving soon.
adamwyoung12
Drives on Gravel

Postby Ed Mc. » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:04 am

adamwyoung12 wrote:
Ed Mc. wrote:If you have any trouble with lingering odor, I'd recommend treating it with an ozone generator.

Excellent advice! I used an ozone generator to completely remove the cigarette scent from my '04 Tacoma when I bought it. I've heard some say that it doesn't work, but my experience has been that it does. My wife's cousin has one, and I'm hoping he can bring it over on his next trip from Wenatchee.

Hey, I have an Uncle who lives in E. Wenatchee! Last month my brother went over there for a few days to go road hunting with him.

My Mom and Step-Dad used to go to Chelan every year to watch the boat races in the Fall. He's passed 9 yrs now, but my Mom and I still drive over once in a while in the Summer to visit and pick up some really good fresh fruit from one of the road stands along the way.

It's beautiful over there, but too hot for this "PNW Boy" and way too cold and snowy in the Winter, too!
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 405 times

Postby adamwyoung12 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:20 am

Ed Mc. wrote:It's beautiful over there, but too hot for this "PNW Boy" and way too cold and snowy in the Winter, too!

It is beautiful on the other side of the cascades! I've never been up to Chelan, but I'd like to go. (hopefully in my trooper)

In other news, I got the carpet and headliner samples today!

Swatches.jpg

InkedCarpet Comparison 2.jpg

I ended up ordering the "medium beige plush cut pile carpet" from stockinteriors.com. It appeared to be the closest match to the original carpet.
adamwyoung12
Drives on Gravel

Postby Ed Mc. » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:08 am

That shade of carpet should go well with the rest of the interior.

The headliner material looks really nice. One of the lighter cream colors? Of course at this point you can pick whatever you like!
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 405 times

Postby itsmehb » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:10 am

adamwyoung12 wrote:
batman wrote:Now would be a good time to put in a fuel pump access panel.

I do see a lot of stuff on this forum regarding the fuel tank and fuel pump. Why is that? Is there a common problem with the fuel pump? Is it really difficult to drop the tank?

Had to remove my fuel tank to remove the pump when I did my carb conversion. In answer to the question, is it difficult to drop the tank. No, not if you have access to a lift and a helper. But that doesn't seem available to most, so, yes, if you have the interior apart, consider making an access plate. You will be glad it's there if you ever need access to the pump. Aside from the political make up of the PNW, you guys live in the most beautiful part of our country. I'm in awe every time a member posts pictures of his PNW adventures. As to the interior, agree about the headliner. Even if I could turn a Trooper upside down I still couldn't probably do a headliner. Your color choices look great.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Golf is just an expensive way to play marbles
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 321 times

Postby batman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:23 pm

I got my carpet from Stock Interiors for $295.00. I didn't request the samples because I was converting everything to black. The original factory carpet was 3 main pieces and 2 small pieces for the fender wells. Their carpet was 2 main pieces and 2 small pieces for the fender wells. One main piece for the cargo area was easy to install and only had to cut holes for the seatbelts and the 4 cargo tie downs. The factory front carpet and the rear seat floor area is 2 separate pieces. Their's 1 piece. Make sure to save your old carpet it's a lot easier to cut holes etc. using it as a template. I pressure washed my old carpet and let it dry so it wouldn't dirty up the new carpet. The new front carpet is only 1 piece and the drivers foot wear pad has to line up first as a starting point. The carpet is steam moulded for the center transmission hump. I was very disappointed with the fit the transmission hump was too large and the under padding was very thin. I had kept the factory paddling which has felt underneath and a hard rubber like material on top glued to the felt below. It smelled bad when I removed it but I thought it might come in handy so I washed the felt side with hot water until clear water was coming out. It was really dark water at first but eventually cleared up. I cleaned the rubber side with clorox cleanup and rinsed it off. This was late summer and still hot. I had a couple of old pallets and laid the paddling felt side up until it was dry(several days). Once dry the smell was gone and I'm so glad I did this as I ended up using this on the bottom and the new carpet padding on the top. This is going to be a lot quieter than just the new padding. It also made the new carpet not as loose. I ended up having to cut the new carpet at the center of the transmission hump from top to bottom where it meets the rear seat. I had to remove a good amount of carpet. I'll post more on this later as I have a doctor's appointment. Thanks Batman!
batman
Loyal P'up

Postby adamwyoung12 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:08 am

Thanks for the info, Batman!

For anyone interested, here are the work items I plan to take care of before installing the carpet:

• Install the fuel pump access door
  • Clean up existing rust and prevent future rust on the floor
  • Figure out why the floor was wet under the carpet where the driver and passenger put their feet
adamwyoung12
Drives on Gravel

Postby hessmess » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:56 am

That’s a good list. On the dampness look ar a windshield gasket leak or if you gave the luggage rack. Look at the mounting screw holes. They may not be sealing anymore. My 2 cents worth.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 173 times

Postby batman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:32 am

If you have any questions about your carpet installation I'll be glad to advise as I just completed mine. The front part was very difficult and I took my time so as not to make a bad cut. I have installed aftermarket carpet in several camaros and firebirds and only had a little trimming and holes to cut and was very simple and easy. Not so with front part of my trooper-Batman!
batman
Loyal P'up

Postby giusedtobe » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:03 pm

Duntov wrote:
adamwyoung12 wrote:After getting it home and taking some pictures, I removed the carpet in hopes that it would help remove the stench currently filling the cabin.

We had a similar experience, there was zero rust under the nasty carpet! We found dirt cheap rubber matts on amazon (like $39) and we have no plans to put carpet back. Plus, there's something so cool about the painted metal.

What are your plans for replacing headliner? That's typically the hardest car of a car resto!

You mind posting a link to this product or maybe who the online retailer is? I'd like to replicate what you've done.
giusedtobe
Trail Master

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby batman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:34 pm

I got the carpet from Stock Interiors.com 866-868-4577, Batman!
batman
Loyal P'up

Postby adamwyoung12 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:33 pm

Unfortunately December has been a busy month for me (wife's birthday, anniversary, and Christmas), so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the Trooper. But here is an update anyway:

In summary, the fight with the stench continues! I ended up just ordering a cheap ozone generator from Amazon, and I've let it run in the Trooper for about 12 hours in total. Unfortunately, it didn't do much to touch the mouse scent. Apparently, defeating the scent of mice is more difficult than the scent of smoke, which my carpet-cleaning Uncle with years of experience confirmed.

Ozone Setup.jpg

Ozone Generator.jpg

Since using the ozone, I sprayed the carpeted interior panels down Woolite heavy traffic carpet foam to see if that would help the odor - I think it helped, but it also has a strong laundry detergent odor that could just be masking it. I also got a carpet cleaner to clean the front and rear seats after cleaning my house. I can't tell if they smell better, but at least they look a lot better - they are a lot less dark.

Today, I plan to wipe out the interior again from top to bottom with soapy water and a cloth to make sure there isn't any residue left behind the original cleaning I did with Zep.

In other news, the carpet came. I was surprised to see that it came in a box from ACC (Auto Custom Carpets, Inc.). I guess stock interiors didn't have it in stock, so I got this instead. Unfortunately, I will need to wait until I can remove this stench before I can install it.

Carpet.jpg
adamwyoung12
Drives on Gravel

Postby adamwyoung12 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:00 am

It has been a little while since my last update, but a little progress is still being made. After more interior cleaning, I've narrowed down the source of the stench to the channels that supports the roof. Wires run through these channels to the back of the vehicle, and it is now obvious to me that these inaccessible areas still contain a fair amount of mouse urine. I was able to figure this out using my nose and an endoscope. Since it isn't possible to clean these areas, I've ordered a can of internal frame coating from Eastwood to coat the inside of these channels. Once this is complete, I hope that most of the scent will be gone and I can reinstall the interior.

I also picked up a used professional 3D scanner, and will be scanning parts as-needed and as time allows during this project. I have a significant amount of experience using 3D scanners, and dimensional metrology equipment in general, and I hope to eventually upload these files to GrabCAD so that others can remanufacture parts as needed. So far, I've only scanned a visor clip - the other one was broken, so I'll need a replacement.

Trooper Visor Clip.PNG

For this post the author adamwyoung12 was thanked by:
electricpuppyboy
adamwyoung12
Drives on Gravel

Postby BoiseTrooper » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:14 pm

adamwyoung12 wrote:It has been a little while since my last update, but a little progress is still being made. After more interior cleaning, I've narrowed down the source of the stench to the channels that supports the roof. Wires run through these channels to the back of the vehicle, and it is now obvious to me that these inaccessible areas still contain a fair amount of mouse urine. I was able to figure this out using my nose and an endoscope. Since it isn't possible to clean these areas, I've ordered a can of internal frame coating from Eastwood to coat the inside of these channels. Once this is complete, I hope that most of the scent will be gone and I can reinstall the interior.

I also picked up a used professional 3D scanner, and will be scanning parts as-needed and as time allows during this project. I have a significant amount of experience using 3D scanners, and dimensional metrology equipment in general, and I hope to eventually upload these files to GrabCAD so that others can remanufacture parts as needed. So far, I've only scanned a visor clip - the other one was broken, so I'll need a replacement.

Trooper Visor Clip.PNG

That is so cool! I have also heard you can get cad files from the McMaster Carr catalog and print parts from there. I think AvE on youtube did it.

Good luck on your channels project.
BoiseTrooper
Mi Amigo

Postby batman » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:09 pm

If you want to replace the driver's door hinges find a salvage 4 door trooper and get right rear door hinges. They will fit drivers door. Left rear doors usually have much less wear than driver's doors.
batman
Loyal P'up

Postby adamwyoung12 » Sat May 22, 2021 12:57 pm

I'm finally working on putting the interior back together! But first, here are the steps I had to take to (mostly) get rid of the mouse smell:

1. Remove any interior that will allow you to access the areas the mice had access to.
  2. Vacuum and clean the places you can reach. Use a UV blacklight flashlight to identify where cleaning is still needed.
  3. Vacuum out all of the places you can't reach using special attachments. Use a borescope to see where vacuuming is needed.
  4. Coat all the places you can't reach with Eastwood internal frame coating. I recommend 2 coats for best results. This will cover any urine residue and prevent further rust if that is a problem. I recommend using the light green color because it is easier to see with a borescope.
  5. Put everything back together, cleaning as you go

Here are some things I learned about mouse stench along the way:

• It is really hard to remove! If you are looking to buy any vehicle, always walk away from one with mice issues unless you plan on a complete rebuild and want a challenge.
  • Ozone will help remove odors, but not the smell of mouse urine.
  • Even after scrubbing, urine residue may remain. It's hard to remove!
  • Mouse odor itself does not seem to spread. The odor will continue emitting from the source (urine/poop), but if the urine never came in contact with something else in the vehicle, that something else will probably clean up and smell just fine.

Here is one example of a problem I faced. Maybe it will help someone.

I found a mouse nest in a really hard-to-reach location. It was located in the driver's-side rocker panel in front of the rear wheel well. The only reason I found it was because I was sticking a borescope in every crevice I could. I ordered some special attachments for my shop-vac, and was able to reach the debris, but unfortunately it was caked on. After much frustration, I found that I could access the same nest from an opening in the b-pillar. This allowed me to use a larger hose and get more loose stuff out. But more was still stuck on.

Channel.jpg

Nest.jpg

I figured I needed to agitate the debris somehow, so I ordered a flexible extension for my drill and an abrasive wire brush attachment that was narrow enough to fit in the tight space. This helped to loosen most of the caked on debris and I was finally able to vacuum most of it out.

In the end, I learned a ton about the body of my trooper (rocker panels, pillars, etc.), and I got really good with a borescope. It's amazing what you can do with one of those things once you start taping tools onto the end of it!

Borescope.jpg

Earlier in this post I said that I had "mostly" removed the smell of mice. I only say this because it does still smell a little, but I'm expecting that the remaining smell will be covered up when I reinstall the headliner.

As for now, I'm currently working repairing some spots with surface rust inside the interior and installing carpet. I'm also working on fixing the wiring that the mice chewed up.
adamwyoung12
Drives on Gravel

Postby batman » Sat May 22, 2021 9:25 pm

Mouse problem.
batman
Loyal P'up

Previous