IT BEGINS [1990 SWB Trooper Project]

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: IT BEGINS [1990 SWB Trooper Project]

Postby aidan7777 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:51 am

Nevermind that! I just found out today that a couple square washers. a GOOD grade 8.8 piece of allthread, 4 well machined, close fitting nuts, some penetrating oil, and a breaker bar gets these rear LCA bushings in like a treat! The inner part can push in a little, meaning you can apply force evenly around the casing.
DSC_0280[1].JPG

Cost me about the same as the rubbish i got from bunnings. grade 4.8(a.k.a galvanized cheese) allthread with a bow in it, chintzy, sloppily turned nuts. Stripped out long before i felt any resistance on the bar. Only buy the good stuff for these jobs.
DSC_0279[1].JPG

Here's a quick recap of all the work i've been doing. personal things in my life + difficulties with this project have made me unmotivated to really post much. thankfully i plan to change that.
Remember that steering box i had apart? The archive of this forum's old old guide on seal replacement advises you to NOT disassemble the ballscrew.
DSC_0256[1].JPG

..So i dissassembled the ballscrew. :twisted:
DSC_0257[1].JPG

Until you've heard the sound of ball bearings rolling across the floor, you have never felt true anxiety. I counted 30 of them in this set. (yours may only have 29, i hear they differ depending on the tolerance)
15 of them were black, 15 of them were chrome. situated in alternating order like an old j**p steering box. This car really must've been ahead of its time, such diversity!

DSC_0252[1].JPG

If you want to take this part off, put setting marks on the casing and lock nut to preserve the preload torque, and WATCH OUT for the ball bearings! There's an angular contact bearing in there, and the balls are loose inside its plastic cage. I'm lucky i didn't lose any of them in the process.

Continued in next post..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 SWB Trooper -- The best and worst car i have ever owned
-Calmini tri-Y Header -2" Exhaust -Glass pack muffler -Extended shackles -Aisin manual locking hubs -5 Tec Serviceability Mod -Bullbar - Jerry cam[Coming soon!]
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 6 times

Sponsor

Postby aidan7777 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:42 am

DSC_0259[1].JPG

I took this piece apart by simply banging the input spline on something soft. I don't remember if it was detained by a circlip or not, but i do remember it was indexed by a little round pin, so you couldn't put it back together any other way.

DSC_0260[1].JPG

With this one, i decided i'd put the smaller seal in the groove on the inside, and both of the larger ones on the outside. The inside groove had a smaller I.D than the outside, and the workshop manual tells me these serve as 'dust seals'. so i figured what the hell. If it blows out, i'll just take the sector shaft out again and swap them over.

DSC_0264[1].JPG

Reassembly was the reverse of disassembly. (forgive me, but i didn't take enough pictures, and i did all this work a while back! i might not be the nicest guy around, but i am nowhere near as blasphemous as the h*ynes manual!)

After that, i took a hacksaw to these stupid bushings, and finally had me a bit of success!

DSC_0263[1].JPG

If i were the idiot who thought it'd be a good idea to install these things INSIDE THE FRAME, i'd have had a lot of trouble sleeping after this car got sent out. This is why every other car has them in the control arms.

Ah, the MK1 trooper. Solidly built, SLOPPILY DESIGNED. I give the mess that is the 4ZE1 a pass, but not this. (isuzu wanted fuel injection on an old engine, but didn't want to spend any money on new castings or tooling. so they put whatever, wherever.)

DSC_0275[1].JPG

Upper control arms were a little easier, but still no cakewalk. I had to grind a shallower 'chamfer' on the bushings in order to stop them from bouncing straight back out of the bore when i hammered on them, then i had to absolutely POUND on them with the B.F.H to get them the rest of the way in. I tried to jig it up in my vise with my pressing tools, and i ended up breaking the vise clean in two trying to press it home! (and no, it didn't press in at all.)

After geting the first bushing in. i put in the fulcrum point, i sawed up a piece of wood to wedge between the legs of the UCA, rested it on a steel cup that fit around the other side. then hammered on the other side just like i did previous. It went in without warping the arm, and I saved myself the 210 bucks the mechanics wanted to install them.

I'll definitely be trying to post more often from here on up. i've neglected you guys for too damn long! :D
Next post might have some welding in, for real this time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Calmini tri-Y Header -2" Exhaust -Glass pack muffler -Extended shackles -Aisin manual locking hubs -5 Tec Serviceability Mod -Bullbar - Jerry cam[Coming soon!]
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:09 am

So i had a patch of rust in my radiator support.
DSC_0278[1].JPG

No big deal. right? Cut it out. measure it up. zip a little piece of sheetmetal off my stock with the rat tail. and bend it into shape with some pliers.
I did all that, but then when i went to wire wheel everything back for welding, i found the rust had extended a little bit further than i thought it did. :|

DSC_0282[1].JPG

And by a little bit. i mean 'a lot'. It doesn't help that i found all of this after already having fabricated my patch. :( DAMN YE, BONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i made some nice scribe lines with a broken tungsten carbide circuit board drill. dragged out the makita 5 inch, and got to cutting.

DSC_0283[1].JPG

Making precise cuts like these with a 5 inch angle grinder is a lot like performing surgery with a chainsaw. Possible, but not pretty.
Maybe i'm just not very good with grinders, but i have a lot of trouble following scribe lines with a zip disc, ESPECIALLY when the guard and grinder body cast a shadow over it. (and no, i'm not removing the guard! if you, the reader are foolhardy enough to do such a thing, look up 'angle grinder injury' and re-evaluate your stupid decision! :evil:)

I started off by tacking in the first piece i made. It was a very good fit, and i didn't want all that hard work to go to waste. besides, what was the welder invented for?
DSC_0285[1].JPG

I measured and cut a new, longer piece, filed and filed and filed the edges while periodically checking the fit with my new piece. and i got THIS.

DSC_0287[1].JPG

PERFECT fit-up. To get the drill points for my captive nuts. i held the piece in with some magnets, bolted the sheetmetal support bar back on. balanced it by the top bolts, pressed it against my piece, and transferred its lower boltholes with a sharpie.

Continued in next post
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:21 am

I had a bunch of grade 8.8 M8 bolts left over from when i was drilling and tapping the stripped threads in my oilpan, and i managed to scrounge up a couple of nuts from my bucket of assorted hardware. I filed the zinc plating off of them, drilled my punch marks to 9MM to give myself a little slack, and tack welded them in.

DSC_0288[1].JPG

They're not the best, but for this application, they'll do just fine. Besides, old bolts were caked in rust. probably not even galvanized.

DSC_0290[1].JPG

Like a glove. This one's going to go well.

The spot i cut out on the back is going to be interesting. it's a very tight spot which i can barely get myself positioned in with the engine installed. I'll be lap welding that one to maximize my chances.

Stay tuned, folks! :D
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby Ed Mc. » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:01 am

That's some serious metal patching! Got to admire your dedication and especially the fearlessness of tearing into a recirculating-ball steering box! When the box on my old 2.8 Trooper wore out, I just got another used one! Of course that was back in the late 90's when you could still get decent parts. A lot harder to find a good one nowadaze.

BTW an inexpensive Harbor Freight hydraulic press would greatly ease your work load on those bushings.

Prevents pounding on the control arms with a BFH! :twisted:

Plus there are so many other uses for a hyd press, it's a really handy tool if you do lots of wrenching. I'd get the 20-ton over the cheaper 12-ton press:

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-sh ... 32879.html

Last but not least, an invaluable tip my Best Friend told me years ago, regarding installing control arm bushings: If they get "cranky" and want to bind, just take a small hammer (recommend ball peen) and tap tap tap on the side of the control arm, the vibrations from tapping will "shock" the bushing while it's got steady pressure on it from the hyd press. The bushing will "jump" in a bit with each tap of the hammer.

Another good tip for stamped control arms with open ends, is to support the open end arm so it doesn't crush while you're pressing in the bushing. You can use a cut sleeve sized to fit, or take a couple of bolts the correct length with nuts, such that you can adjust the spacer to slightly preload the open side of the arm. Freeze the bushing overnight and it'll go in easier.

There are of course control arm bushing service tools but they ain't cheap, and a hyd press does so much more than the specialized tool.

This site has some really good tips on bushing R&R, including making your own cheap bushing installation tool:

https://www.suspension.com/blog/how-to- ... t-a-press/

Keep up the good work.........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !

Ed Mc. was thanked by:
GetsducksLightning
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 405 times

Postby aidan7777 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:58 pm

Alright, guys. Here's another update on the project!

I went to my automotive restoration class last week to make some long long patch panels for my bonnet. It's all done in 0.8mm steel, so i decided i'd lap weld them. got a bad history with blow-through problems.
First i started by making a few 'dummy pieces'. just a single fold on a sheetmetal bender did it. (the 'swage lines' on the back of the frame are artifacts of the stamping die. you do not have to recreate them to make repairs of this nature.)
Then i pressed them up against the edge i had unpicked, used it to make a scribe line i'd cut just short of, then got to work.
IMG_20200829_095645[1].jpg

Thing i find kind of cool about rust repair is that sometimes you have to make the cut to the piece, and sometimes you have to make the piece to the cut. Here i had to grit my teeth and get to work with the die grinder before i really knew what kind of plan of action i'd take.

Then i went on to make my patch. lots and lots of failed attempts before i came to this point.
IMG_20200829_121948[1].jpg

I started off by chopping off a long piece in their hydraulic shear, and giving it a slight bend on one of their monster benders. I then put a profile gauge up to the hood's 'S-bend', made a couple marks on my patch, then followed that with the shrinker/stretchers.

The thing with shrinker/stretchers is that it's diabolically easy to lose your orientation on them. If any of you are interested in getting into this stuff, i'd recommend marking your lines with chevrons or some other indicator before you get to work. really helps you keep your bearings.

The rest of this i hand formed. little bit of hammering. twisting it a bit whenever it tried to spring away from the seam. and lots and lots of hand bending with just a plain old pair of pliers. I think it turned out quite well.

I also ground the cut line back as far as i could. making sure not to leave excessive overlap that might promote corrosion.

After that, i diverted my attention to the front edge of the understructure.
IMG_20200829_114931[1].jpg

It was in a very sorry state. When this car was on the road, you could put your fingers through it like a piece of gingerbread. I didn't like having that rubbish in my car, so after a bit of measuring and planning, the die grinder came out to play once more.

IMG_20200829_141204[1].jpg

IMG_20200829_141134[1].jpg

This patch was made with only a bender, and a pair of pliers. A cool little trick i found for making a nice sharp bend of this nature with pliers is to grab the piece with the corner of the jaws, and give it a twist.

Oh yeah. i also mistakenly went all the way through a small section of the skin while i was cutting that out. :oops: good thing someone invented the welder!

Continued in next post
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:03 pm

Then commenced the welding!

IMG_20200829_152353[1].jpg

IMG_20200829_160430[1].jpg

IMG_20200829_160434[1].jpg

IMG_20200829_162514[1].jpg

This was the state it was in before my teacher gave me a tap on the shoulder and told me it was time to pack up. he said it looked like i was having a lot of fun, and indeed i was! i wasn't expecting to get this mammoth job done so fast.

Cont..
V V V
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:27 pm

When i got home. i hooked my argon bottle back up and kept going full steam ahead. Here's the whole thing welded up.
DSC_0306[1].JPG

I decided i'll leave weld seams that aren't outside the body unground. This car has been taken off its deathbed a number of times already (engine rebuild, old rust repairs in the frame, etc) and i think it's a nice statement to make. Like a patch on your jeans.

DSC_0293[1].JPG

Here's what i did with the radiator support. I need to get myself a proper ground clamp someday..
The part on the back came out unspeakably ugly, because i couldn't for the life of me get into position. Here's a tip for getting light into super tight positions, though.
DSC_0291[1].JPG

These bicycle lights work like a charm. clamp them to a hose, aim them at what you want to weld, and go to town!

DSC_0304[1].JPG

Here's the final product. The new captive nuts are perfectly positioned.

I'll end this post with something cool. i found a leak around my rocker cover, so i decided i'd replace the gasket real quick. (if you use RTV on rubber gaskets hex on ye)

DSC_0305[1].JPG

Here's the state of my valvetrain! :D Cool, huh?
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby hessmess » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:49 am

In my experience, it is necessary to use a dab of RTV in the corners where the gasket goes over the cam and around the cam plug on the back of the engine.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 173 times

Postby aidan7777 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:22 am

That's fair enough. The half circle shaped plug that goes into the valley up back had its sealing surface smeared with RTV, and i was feeling a little bit miffed about that. I suppose if it ever leaks, i can always go back and add some.
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby hessmess » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:00 pm

So did this project die off?
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby aidan7777 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:07 pm

hessmess wrote:So did this project die off?

Nah. I just had a very long 4 month stay at my dad's place. My parents are separated by quite a long ways, and i go back and forth between their houses ever so often. Couldn't work on it there.

I was thinking of reviving this thread as soon as i came back, so thanks for checking in!
I just got done raising the diff back into position the other day. I'd already installed the steering linkage stuff beforehand (which was a mistake), so i had to carefully manuever the front 'arms' of the diff over the thing with nothing else but a jack, and a bunch of bricks.

Most anxious i've been in a while. If i ever get hesitant about taking a job interview, or something, i'm going to remember just how i felt that day.
Constant worry about dropping the thing and smashing an irreplacable iron casting, but eventually i got it in position.
IMG_20210126_174700[1].jpg

The bolts with the chamfers on the tips go on the front. the bolts with the flat ends screw into the captive nuts on the back. I had to swap them over after i realized the shorter flat-tipped bolts wouldn't clear the washers on the front. :evil:

I also did some more welding, too. first thing i did was re-do the portside wheel well, since my last attempt hashed it up quite badly.
IMG_20210123_165428[1].jpg

IMG_20210125_184201[1].jpg

Turned out better than last time. Had some trouble around the edges, but that could've been prep, or fitup. I ended up cutting far more out of the floorpan than i wanted to, because trying to follow a little scribe line with a 5-inch rat tail grinder in a cramped little space under the dash is surprisingly a very bad idea. (don't let the darwin award people see!)
No matter, though. It's a good test of my skills, and i'll be perfectly fine to weld it up when I get the wheels back on this beast. As long as it's pressed right up against the side of my shed, i won't be able to properly get into position.

IMG_20210126_155859[1].jpg

Managed to finally tack in the portside fender piece i'd made at my bodywork class. Fits very well.
IMG_20210126_161522[1].jpg

I had a little trouble with blow through in a couple of spots, but that too could be a fitup problem(or my machine being set too hot). Can't be dextrous in welding gloves.

I did find that it's far easier to weld with light on the subject, though. lets you see the seam properly, even allows you to 'watch the puddle' at shade 12.5!

Continued in next post
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:27 pm

I took my windscreen out before i'd left for dad's, and when i took it out, i found a very nasty patch of rust sitting right in the top portside corner, so i cut it all out, planning to weld my way out once i got back.

IMG_20210122_153711[1].jpg

IMG_20210122_153735[1].jpg

Here's a tip for those of you planning to cut into an A-pillar. While you're in the fitup stage, put a big ball of masking tape down in the cavity, or else your carefully filed down patch is going to fall in the hole.
ask me how i know.. :( '

This is drastic stuff to be doing with my limited set of tools. but i don't have very much choice. The only time i will want this windscreen out is in the paint booth, since my experience taking the old one out was horrible. (previous owner had caked the whole thing in silicone, i thought you were supposed to install these old style windscreens dry.)

I'll be sure to keep you guys updated. I feel bad for pulling a 4 month 'irish goodbye on you all, and hey! maybe when i get this thing back together, it'll make ride of the month? :D

DSC_0131[1].JPG
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby hessmess » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:02 am

Good to see you back at it. That windshield should only have a rubber gasket, no silicone at all. I changed mine last summer and only made 250 miles until the first chip. I found some rust on mine also and fixed it up before the newish one went in. I went on a 2500 mile trip after that with no issues at all. Keep on forging ahead!
88 Trooper (recycled)
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:43 pm

Yeah, glad to see you back. Saw the thread pop up last week when Dick asked. I was concerned when you didn't answer (WAY too many things going on in this world these days). Keep up the good work. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 977 times

Postby aidan7777 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:41 am

Quick update on the work i've been doing so far.

Today, I found a couple nice old bench vises, they were abandoned in the middle of a VERY disused paddock near my place, and i couldn't help but take them in.
IMG_20210203_184328[1].jpg

The little one's missing the collar with the lock bolt that retracts the jaw, and has had its jaws welded. (UGH!!!) Might have to take that one to a 'mens shed' and use their machines to bring it back in working order.

(note: men's sheds are place you can go to make things, usually they have lathes and milling machines, welders, and tons of stock on hand for you to use. their problem is that they're usually full of curmudgeons who think genuine vitriol's a great way to greet new people. while i understand their attitude towards young people with all the wonderful things my generation's been doing, i find it a huge struggle to prove that i'm not one of those 'future doctors' who goes around smashing windows)

That digression aside, the big one works just fine. Leadscrew still moved even though it's been out in the rain for decades, Ways aren't seized, all it really needs is a wire wheeling and a good oiling.
Taking it out of the paddock was a huge adventure. I had to take it out dynamic jaw first, then the fixed jaw, both were an incredible struggle to heave over the fence and load into the back of my mom's toyota corolla. I'm so glad that thing's a little long in the tooth. means the both of us are fine with putting dirty things like firewood in it.

IMG_20210203_184352[1].jpg

Put in the lower control arms. Took a bit of persuasion with a mallet to get them to mount on the bushings, but they got there in the end.
I'm curious as to how i'm going to get these things raised enough to mount the upper control arm. I think it might have something to do with the height adjuster bolt on the other end of the torsion bar. Those things are far far stronger than me, but perhaps not stronger than a fine thread and a breaker bar.

I'm thinking i'll have to make a marker line up against the side of the bolt head, then count how many flats that go past so i can get it back into the right position. The adjuster bolt and nut are in a place i can't put marker lines or masking tape on the threads (as i did with the tie rod in the picture), so this will be a very interesting problem to solve.
also, don't worry about the vise grip on the brake line. i did that because that line is bad and needs to be changed

IMG_20210203_184412[1].jpg

Spot of welding on the front of the 'doghouse', or whatever it's called. More rust popping out from under all this black paint, but after that debacle with the radiator support, i am not surprised.
IMG_20210203_184420[1].jpg

The back of it. Had to work at this bit with a carbide burr, getting an angle grinder in here is just about impossible.

I would've loved to have welded this in place today, but the weld thru primer on the patch is still drying, so i'm going to need to postpone the welding 'til tomorrow.

I don't understand why people seem to rag on the adhesion properties of weld thru primer, either. I wipe everything down very thoroughly with wax and grease remover before i lay down paint, so perhaps it's just another case of people getting lazy with the prep.
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby itsmehb » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:28 am

(note: men's sheds are place you can go to make things, usually they have lathes and milling machines, welders, and tons of stock on hand for you to use. their problem is that they're usually full of curmudgeons who think genuine vitriol's a great way to greet new people. while i understand their attitude towards young people with all the wonderful things my generation's been doing, i find it a huge struggle to prove that i'm not one of those 'future doctors' who goes around smashing windows)

I'm one of the curmudgeons (85) who reads all your posts and see's a young man with developing skills, and a fine command of our English language. We have our share here, of the future doctors who also break windows, however, you would be welcome in my shed (man cave) anytime.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Golf is just an expensive way to play marbles
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 321 times

Postby aidan7777 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:46 am

Glad to hear, man. I get along far better with older people in the first place, so it's a shame that i'm not always accepted among them.

IMG_20210205_184030[1].jpg

IMG_20210205_184021[1].jpg

This is the welding i got up to today. I really hate welding out of position.. if i could get my gun in there at a good angle, these welds would've been a whole lot better. i couldn't even get good light on my subject.
Might try clipping my bicycle light to my MIG torch next time. Light is far more important to good welds than i once thought.

At least i can get the running gear installed now. all the welding i had to do in this area is finished.
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby giusedtobe » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:30 am

Well this old fart is pretty impressed with your skill for a young pup!
giusedtobe
Trail Master

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby aidan7777 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:05 pm

I need to raise the voltage next time i pick up that MIG gun.. These welds are coming up cold.
My blow through problems have made me a little hesitant to turn up the heat.

Another thing i might be doing later is inspect the fuel tank. This car's had a few incidents which involved the engine starving of fuel under load, and both times it was fixed by a new fuel filter. Could've been from the varnish left by old petrol, could be rust. Only one way to find out.
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby aidan7777 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:23 am

Alright, I think i'm prejudiced against CV boots now.. :evil:

Having them tear and rot away on you all the time is bad enough, but replacing them is even worse!

IMG_20210206_184558[1].jpg

Everything started off just fine. I took off the snap rings, degreased everything with brake clean and rags. Got all the old grease and rubbish out of the joint on the other end by filling it with solvent and swilling the cup around until i could pour it all out, giving the joint the occasional wipe with a rag to get rid of the stragglers. (don't use your brake cleaner! that crap gets expensive!)

Boots went on just fine for the most part, i packed the grease into the joints with my fingers, took a bit of time to get used to my new banding tool and how much tension it needs to put on the clamp, all seemed well right up until i tried to install it on the diff.
IMG_20210206_184609[1].jpg

This thing is such a pig to get on! Especially when everything starts getting covered in grease and you can't get any purchase on anything..
I have to support it with my other arm, and wrestle with this thing with my free hand, Constantly slipping off the DOJ case, can hardly get the flange to clear the O.D.

I might try putting it through the steering knuckle and installing it on the lower ball joint taper tomorrow. That ought to give me a 'third hand' that'll put it at a better angle of attack, but christ. i'm starting to understand why people keep saying 'buy a whole new axle'. It'd be a lot easier than all this fuss, but my last name isn't Rockerfella. :D

These joints upon inspection hardly even have any wear at all. the surfaces on the retainer only have a very small spot from the mild use these axles have had, and the cage has so little wear that the bearing balls stay in their place without grease. Why throw away good iron?

UPDATE: tried it again a few hours later, broke the clamp because i accidentally hit my banding tool's cutoff lever. this thing just does not want to stay on.
aidan7777
Loyal P'up

Postby DSUZU » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:43 am

Other than undoing the steering knuckles / ball joints, I've never had a problem doing them. Plug the inner joint into the cup, push it in as far as it will go, while holding the axle, slip the knuckle over the outer end and it should hole everything in place. I don't do the inner clamp until everything else is hooked up
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby hessmess » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:50 am

I may be doing this myself in the next couple of months, I bought a new locker for the front end of the 91 and since the boots are originals and just starting to crack. It is as good as time as ever when the front end comes apart. Not looking forward to this one bit.
88 Trooper (recycled)
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby itsmehb » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:15 am

The first time I tried to renew the boots I tried to do it what I thought would be the least removal of parts, and had a hard time. Finally just removed the complete steering knuckle and got it out of the way. Was lots more work but made the job easier.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Golf is just an expensive way to play marbles
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 321 times

Postby DSUZU » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:23 pm

I used to cut the steering so the tie rod was sticking out as far as possible towards the side I was working on (right side = all the way right). I'd then undo a ball joint (top is easier - if you have flipped upper BJs, it is even MORE easy), then I could pull the knuckle out far enough to get the outer axle shaft pulled from the spindle. It was still a bit of a fight. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

PreviousNext